Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

P0420 catalytic converter replacement - Need OEM to get rid of CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FogRunner
There is a reason why you have to go OEM on the cat but there is a way around it. In 2001 Toyota made all their cars 50 states legal so they have to conform to the peoples republic of Kaliforina CARB standards.

What this means is that normally the ECU would flag the 420 code if when the cat converter got below some where around 75% efficiency.

Well with the CARB standards it will flag a 420 code when the converter is some where around 95% efficiency.

This is where the problem with aftermarket cats come in. Just about all non-OEM aftermarket cats are designed to meet federal emissions and not CARB compliant. Because of this they are around 90% efficient at best when brand new causes the ECU to throw a code. The OEM cats are in the high 90% on efficiency.

You didn't say where ya live so I will assume its not in The Peoples republic of Kalifornia.

The easiest way to solve this problem is just get a aftermarket high flow cat and buy a "sensor simulator" from TRD products. What the simulator does it modify the signal from the O2 sensor to make the ECU think the cat is work at 100% effiency all the time thu no 420 code.

This is the route I took with my 4runner when I couldn't get ride of the 420 code.

On a side note isn't it ironic that the code for bad emission 420 is the same as the code for national pot head day LOL.

FOG
few questions:

1. I drive a 97 taco, will I have all these issues people are having with codes if I go with an aftermarket cat as this emissions law was for 2001 and up

2. As I am in the market for a new cat if I do end up risking it and going for an aftermarket if I get one that is California approved will I have less of a chance of throwing codes again.

3. Should I just get whatever cat I want (maybe even high flow?? THoughts?) and just throw a urd sim on it and be done with it? What risks are there here with this route?

sorry for the revival I just see so many different answeres to this question out there and I think I will eventually need a new cat

thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 07:40 PM

$60 amazon O2 sensor. Done
Old 02-16-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rynophiliac
So I just threw a p0420 on my 2004 bone stock 2.4 single cab tacoma. It has 183k miles. Apperantly this can be several issues from what I have read on the forum and first thing tomorrow I plan to
1 check for exhaust leaks
2 clean MAF
3 test both O2 sensors

and if none of those seems to be the culprit I am planning on replacing the cat converter because after 183k it probably needs to be done anyways. My question is this - I have heard that you have to get OEM from toyota or else you will keep throwing the p0420 code is this true? Has anyone gotten a magnaflow or catco cat converter or any other brand for that matter and not thrown the p0420 code after? From the dealer I have read is over $1000
thanks
Ryan
How do you check the 02 sensors ?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
try this link

http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...agnosis?Page=3

I haven't tested mine. At around 170k when I had the p0420 code, I bet my instincts on the oxgyen sensors lifespan and replaced them with OEM/Denso and they haven't come back after 1 yr. They are pricey as parts, but cheaper brands are more costly when you think of premature breakdown, plus the charges for labor and diagnostics going from stealership to stealership. No offense to those who work in one.

If replacing the sensors, be sure to know if your vehicle is California emissions or just Federal-type. It gets confusing.

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2016, 06:17 PM

Update on last post is the cat had failed later on unfortunately. After taking care of the sensors and an exhaust leak, I ended up taking the old converter out and putting an aftermarket in. Today passed Cali emissions.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
Update on last post is the cat had failed later on unfortunately. After taking care of the sensors and an exhaust leak, I ended up taking the old converter out and putting an aftermarket in. Today passed Cali emissions.

I just got the same issue going on my CEL light. Living in cali is painful when dealing with emissions issues. Which aftermarket CAT works?
Old 05-21-2016, 03:07 PM

I went with magnaflow. Got a 5yr warranty on it from AZ. We'll see how long this lasts, so far I've been reassured by the recent reviews. Can't speak for or against other aftermarkets. I just know that you pay for what you get. Cheaper ones likely may not do so well after a few yrs. But regardless of what brand, an out of tune engine may damage the next converter, so its important to correct whatever other codes, conditions, or parts need attention.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Except that you have to break the FEDERAL law to do that. FEDERAL law prohibits turning a KALIFORNIA emissions vehicle into a FEDERAL one. Cars must be maintained as they were built as far as emissions go. (Not that I care.)
I just got P0420 and looking for an aftermarket cat. My truck is a 2000 2.7 Auto which has federal emissions and registered and titled in CA Thde truck was sold outside CA but I have no idea where and neither does Toyots.I cant get a Federal cat shipped and Im told to go OEM. Isn't OEM Federal and illegal in CA since my truck is Federal? My engine family is YTYXT027XBH. I was actually told that there is absolutely no aftermarket for that. I did lots and lots of research already but refuse to accept paying $1200 for a cat. I'm really confused and upset at this BULLS**T.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hrddrvs
I just got P0420 and looking for an aftermarket cat. My truck is a 2000 2.7 Auto which has federal emissions and registered and titled in CA Thde truck was sold outside CA but I have no idea where and neither does Toyots.I cant get a Federal cat shipped and Im told to go OEM. Isn't OEM Federal and illegal in CA since my truck is Federal? My engine family is YTYXT027XBH. I was actually told that there is absolutely no aftermarket for that. I did lots and lots of research already but refuse to accept paying $1200 for a cat. I'm really confused and upset at this BULLS**T.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
First the bad news. OEM is Federal and no it is not illegal in CA, if you use OEM, because that is how the truck was built, and CARB accepts that. There are aftermarket parts for Federal emissions vehicles that CARB approves, but none were approved for your vehicle. 30 seconds on the CARB website confirms that. (You left out a decimal point in the engine family number between the 2 and the 7 or it would heve been 15 seconds.)

Now the good news:, you CAN get an OEM Cat for less than $1200.

I get a p/n of 17420-75080 which gives you this:

http://onlineparts.toyotasouthatlant...ItN2wtbDQtZ2Fz

or this:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...420-75080.html

So less than $450. And since the same cat was used in California '96-'98 4 cyl. 4Runners, you should not have any problem getting it shipped in.

But I don't think that even matters. No restrictions at all on OEM shipments to California--I hope. The websites don't mention any. So I'd give them your VIN, say it's for a 2000 Federal, and you should be good if the KaliNazis ask where it came from. Don't take my word on the p/n as I don't have your VIN, confirm it with the seller.

Last edited by TheDurk; 01-10-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by FogRunner
There is a reason why you have to go OEM on the cat but there is a way around it. In 2001 Toyota made all their cars 50 states legal so they have to conform to the peoples republic of Kaliforina CARB standards.

What this means is that normally the ECU would flag the 420 code if when the cat converter got below some where around 75% efficiency.

Well with the CARB standards it will flag a 420 code when the converter is some where around 95% efficiency.

This is where the problem with aftermarket cats come in. Just about all non-OEM aftermarket cats are designed to meet federal emissions and not CARB compliant. Because of this they are around 90% efficient at best when brand new causes the ECU to throw a code. The OEM cats are in the high 90% on efficiency.

You didn't say where ya live so I will assume its not in The Peoples republic of Kalifornia.

The easiest way to solve this problem is just get a aftermarket high flow cat and buy a "sensor simulator" from TRD products. What the simulator does it modify the signal from the O2 sensor to make the ECU think the cat is work at 100% effiency all the time thu no 420 code.

This is the route I took with my 4runner when I couldn't get ride of the 420 code.

On a side note isn't it ironic that the code for bad emission 420 is the same as the code for national pot head day LOL.

FOG
Hey Fog,

My 4-runner has like 245K on it and I am not in the best position to replace cats as of right now but I need to pass CA smog test like now. It was supposed to be registered on Valentine’s Day but the clearing the code and running through the drive cycle wasn’t enough to keep the engine light off. Will the o2 simulator solve this problem ? For the time being….. I haven’t tested the sensors at this point either so I will explore that route as well. Any thoughts ?