Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

No power from trailer harness on '00 4Runner SR5

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No power from trailer harness on '00 4Runner SR5

So I tried to use my 4Runner today to pull my SeaDoos. I know the lights on the trailer work b/c we used my friends 4Runner b4 and it made the trailer lights work.
Looks like I have a aftermarket hitch and harness installed. I tried checking for power coming from the harness w/my voltage meter with my headlights and turn signal on and I didn't get anything.

Where should I look first? Is there a fuse I should check?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-05-2006, 03:46 PM

Certainly check any fuses (in the box and in-line) and if they all check out good, then check your CONVERTER.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...iler+converter

and

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...iler+converter

or do a search for trailer converter, or variations thereof.

The converter is behind the left plastic panel in the cargo area. You can pull up the edge near the lift gate. But be careful, it's easy to crack the panel... I cracked mine on re-install!

Good luck.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 PM

I didn't even know there was a trailer converter. I guess I'll do a search on it like you suggested.
Are there certain fuses related to the trailer wiring? The converter is behind the back driver side plastic panel? Seems like the harness goes up under the hitch on the passenger side.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check any fuses as said before, but also get a test light and check to see if you have power from the source (battery or any alternate source) then if no light check to see if it's properly connected. If there is light then follow the wires towards the back checking for any opens or short to ground (as would be indicated by a blown fuse if it blows again after replacement).
Old 07-05-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by stangman39
I didn't even know there was a trailer converter. I guess I'll do a search on it like you suggested.
Are there certain fuses related to the trailer wiring? The converter is behind the back driver side plastic panel? Seems like the harness goes up under the hitch on the passenger side.

Thanks,
Mike
What IronMike said too...

Yes, the trailering wiring goes up through an opening in the floor, then under the plastic door sill along the rear hatch opening, then up to the converter behind the panel. If the fuses check ok (there may be a fuse for the wiring to the coverter but I don't remember right off -- maybe someone else? ) Then you'll have to get to the converter. Check for power BEFORE the converter, then after. In other words, if you have power going IN TO said converter, but not out (you may have power out of the converter to SOME of the different colored wires, i.e. brown and green, but not yellow) then the converter is bad... Meaning, stop lights work, but not left turn or rt. turn, etc... This seems to be a fairly common on 4Rs with factory tow...

BTW the Toyota converter is 200 !#$%^!@# dollars! Go to napa and get a generic coverter that has the same color codes (30 bux) and just splice it in. Mine works fine that way.

http://napaonline.com/MasterPages/NO...tility+Trailer

Just an addendum: The converter is for adapting the Japanese/European taillight standard to the American standard - I believe the diff is how the stop lights function, but I'm not at the moment sure...

Anyway, it's that differnece that causes the converter to die... Mine worked once, then burnt... The first time I stepped on the brakes. Hell to figure out with out the help of the Forum !!
S.

Last edited by SpikeStrip; 07-05-2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the info.
I'll dig into it tomorrow and try to post back some results.

Mike
Old 07-06-2006, 04:16 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
FYI, the dealer had to replace the tail light converter on my '00 3 times (he did it at no charge, too). I don't now if it was the converter, the installer or what but I still am leary every time I connect one of my trailers to the truck, even AFTER 2 years of no problems.