Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New Mods this Weekend with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mods this Weekend with Pics

I did a couple of mods this weekend. I pulled the center panel in the dash and painted the inside portion around the radio and a/c controls. Turned out pretty good. I used the same silverish color that I used to paint the trim around the instrument cluster. I think it really spiced up the area around the radio. It was pretty boring looking before. I think the silver is a nice contrast with the stock silver paneling. I also installed my Pilot driving lamps under the rear bumper. They are sweet! Also added some Piaa Ion Yellow fog bulbs since those piece of crap Raybrigs burned out. Check out the pics at the link below. One question on the trim. There is a spot that I touched before it completely dried and it left a mark. I tried to fix it and made it somewhat worse. Not too noticeable but I know it's there. Is there any way that I could use a real fine sandpaper to sand off the rough spot of paint and not damage the plastic trim? Any other suggestions? Later guys.

Matt
Old 05-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention those damn sidemarkers. Last weekend I bought some sheet metal at Home Depot, a nibbler from Radio Shack, and got my dremel and tried to practice a bit and see if those VW sidemarkers would actually work on my 4Runner. There was a pretty long thread a week or so ago about this and someone mentioned that the sidemarkers are actually countersunk into the fender on the VWs. Well, I don't think they will work. I got a template that they would fit into, but there was a small gap between the back of the lamp and the metal due to some plastic tabs. I realized pretty quick that they were going to be a lot more trouble than they were worth, so they have since been returned to the dealer. Only problem is they had to custom order the wiring harnesses for the sidemarkers and they will not take them back. So I'm stuck with $40+ worth of VW wiring harnesses that are useless. Oh well, onto the next option. May look into some of those side mirror mounted turn signals.

Matt
Old 05-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good......besides the finger print.

I passed you by Oak Mountain High School last week. Your trucks looks pretty good coming and going.

Did you wire the back lights to your reverse lights or just to a switch?
Old 05-11-2003, 07:31 PM

Hey Matt. Nice job. Your trim is starting to look a lot like mine. As for the finger print...lightly sand with 1500 grit, and...pull the whole dang thing out and respray. Sorry man, that's the only way I'd do it to get it right. I know, it's a pain. A tip on painting parts. I usually spray small parts on the bottom of a cardboard box. I put a good size piece of masking tape next to the piece and spray that too. If I have to touch the paint, I touch the tape. I've been painting long enough to know not to touch wet paint and about how long dry time is, but it's kinda human nature to touch wet paint...I have seen it a lot, why...I dunno. Anywho, it looks great. Sorry about those sidemarkers...maybe you could have shaved off those tabs if they were holding back the marker from flushing? If the main locking tabs were solid that is. This was not made specifically for a universal fit, so sometimes ya gotta make some changes as long as it's solid.
The pilot lights are sweet...where did you get those?
Old 05-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Butnut,
The sidemarker fit in pretty close to tight but it wasn't perfect. I might have been able to dremel off those little plastic things, but I was not confident enough to hack a hole in the fender. Thanks for all your help though. I haven't ruled out some of these universal fit ones that are everywhere. APC makes several of them and all that is required is cutting about a 1" diameter hole in the fender for the bulb housing to go into. The actual lamp screws to the fender. I dont know about them though because the clear lens fit is kind of questionable. Seems like a car wash might knock it off. Like I said, I might pursue the mirror turn signal now or just give up on it. Thanks for the compliments on the mods. Momo, what school are you referring to, Spain Park? I hate to have to pull that panel out again because all of the wires to those gauges are a PITA. I might give it a shot though. I got those Pilot lights from Autobarn.com They were only like $70 and they are really bright. They aren't wired into the reverse lights yet, I've just got them run to a Toyota switch in the dash. Later.

Matt
Old 05-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

I was talking about Oak Mountain High School on Caldwell Mill Road. I live right next to Spain Park, so I use that same car wash every once in a while.
Old 05-14-2003, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Butnut,
Sweet! I got some superfine sandpaper and re-did that rough spot. Worked like a charm. Thanks for your help. Later.

Matt
Old 05-14-2003, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Matt,

Nice mods, what is that ECT button in the center of your panel? I don't have that. I do have the cut out though.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Jim. The ECT button allows you to change the shift points of the transmission, producing better throttle response. If you do a search on here, you will find several threads about it. I am surprised that your truck did not come with it standard. I thought that it was stock on most all Toyotas.

Matt
Old 05-14-2003, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

I have a 5 speed, thats why. Thanks!