95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

New alarm sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 12:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
New alarm sensor

Today I went to the stereo shop and had a proximity sensor installed.
This will give me some piece of mind.

I already have an excellent alarm. But lets say if a pud got the window done somehow without tripping my knock sensors, they might be able to reach inside and grab stuff.

This new sensor puts out a radar field. It works really nice.
Stick your head or hand in an open window, and it chirps 10 times to warn. Just like the impact sensor does. Continue to stay within the field, and the alarm goes off.

They had to mount it under the console in front of my shifter. Not sure how it can work through plastic, but it does.
The only thing is the sensor is a little thick, and now I have a gap.
You can see it right in front of the shifter lockout button.

I asked if they could mount the sensor elsewhere, and this is the ideal location.
If I get a roof console later for the CB, then they can mount it up inside of it, and out of site.
I could have had the sensor mounted to the top of the console down there, but I wanted it hidden.
I'll dig around for some gasket material, and fix that gap the best I can.
The shop sis not have any material for this.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:37 PM
BOK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey - this is off topic but I was just taking a look 'round your site and man what a nice looking rig!!! I'm amazed at the care you've put into her. Makes my '99 look kinda dirty!!
Old 09-12-2002, 02:17 PM

That is pretty sweet Corey. Is it like a motion detector in a house that you have to move, or do you just have to be there taking up space to set it off. If I had that, that would give me piece of mind for sure. Good to hear you are fighting back the criminals. :fireman:
Old 09-12-2002, 03:07 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Bok, I try to take care of the rig, so it will take care of me in my old age

Same deal as a motion sensor in a house Ryan.
Even a fly will set it off I bet :eek:
I better make sure they are all out. last thing I want is it going off in the middle of the morning when folk's are

I tested it out pretty good. Stick me noggin' in there, or my arm, and it chirps. Keep it there, and it arms and kills the starter, plus pages my pager I carry.

Have a a block watch party to attend tonight. We are going to discuss having full time security here at night, and also roof top cameras.

Monday night was fun about 9:45 PM. I heard a helo outside and looked up and they had a super duper search light and they shined it down on me :eek:
Lit up the whole place.

In another unit across the street aways were 8 cop cars. I guess they busted something pretty big, and the helo was brought in to search for an escaped woman who fled the scene.
I think she was a gang member, and they really wanted her.

I swear, these perps come near me, I'll put them out of their misery.
Screw a trial. I'll be judge and executioner.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:25 PM

Corey, Proximity sensor are great for when you leave your windows down or vented, but it's like any other sensor which only triggers your alarm when someone tries to break in and do the damage. The only way the shock sensor or your proximity sensor will go off if someone breaks the window or punches the lock. The damage is already done even if the alarm scares the thief away. My soluation is to put a microswitch on every door handle. If someone lifts the handle it will trigger the alarm. 99% of time if someone wants to break in to your car, they will check to see if it's open, even if it seems locked. It's very labor intensive, but worth it. Plus, microswitches are only about $2 a piece from radioshack. It worked for my runner for years, and never had false alarms. Oh, I noticed that some proximity sensor is sensitive to temperture, so you might have to adjust it several times to get the sensitivity you want. I hope your sensor is remotely adjustable because it would suck to take it out of your console everytime you want to adjust it. Also they do make proximit sensors that are very small. Mine is about 3in by 2in and about 1/4 in thick. It's made my Clifford and remotely adjustable. Sorry you to tell you did after you already purchase the sensor, but this forum is to help other people, so they make better decisions, right?
Old 09-12-2002, 03:25 PM

I don't have an alarm, but I do have a Mossberg 590 Pump and a Colt 45, 70 Series, Mark IV. And, if the creeps want it that bad while I'm asleep or at the ball game they can have it. I'm fully insured! However, I WON'T be car jacked!

Old 09-12-2002, 03:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Umsam, my prox is abut the same size. No way to adjust it though without taking it out.
I may have them mount it up on top in front of the shifter out in the open.
It may look fugly, but I don't care. It's there for a purpose.

Nice thing about my alarm too is they cut the barrey cables, it won't defeat the alarm. The wires for it are right at the terminals, plus I have a battery backup for it too.

Whatever alarm you have, one should always have a pager. Mine works pretty far away.
I'm the same as Whitey. If the pager goes off, I'll be out there to do some serious harm to the perps.
Old 09-12-2002, 04:26 PM

nice

sweet corey. its too bad you dont live out here in the woods where you dont really have to worry about that kind of stuff. but i do know a couple of people who have had stereo's stolen. one in particular now has barbed wire over his subs, amps, etc. i think it was about a $2500 system, but could have been as much as 4,000. pretty nice too bad it was stolen.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:08 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Barbed wire, now that is pretty extreme
I bet that will keep their hands off of it.

I have to head back to the shop today.
It's a little to sensitive on the drivers side.
I can walk by the rig a foot away, and it chirps.
The radar is seeing me outside.

He will have to turn down the field view a tad.
I did not realize these acted as a tilt device also, but it makes sence since you are changing the geometry in the vehicle if it gets jacked up, or rocked.

I experimented with it a bit yesterday. I could grab my Yakima crossbars and rock the vehicle just slightly, and make it chirp the warning tone.
Might be a problem during the winter when we have our wind storms whip through here.

I'll have to have him show me today which cable it is that plugs into the brain pack.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:52 AM

Re: New alarm sensor

Originally posted by Corey

They had to mount it under the console in front of my shifter. Not sure how it can work through plastic, but it does.
The only thing is the sensor is a little thick, and now I have a gap.
You can see it right in front of the shifter lockout button.

I asked if they could mount the sensor elsewhere, and this is the ideal location.
If I get a roof console later for the CB, then they can mount it up inside of it, and out of site.
I could have had the sensor mounted to the top of the console down there, but I wanted it hidden.
I'll dig around for some gasket material, and fix that gap the best I can.
The shop sis not have any material for this.
They did the same thing with my MR2 years ago when I had the Alpine alarm. It goes through plastic/vinyl/etc easily. I would recommend having one installed in the back though, especially if you have tools etc. Breaking the back window & reaching in to take stuff won't set off an impact or motion sensor, depending where they are placed & how many. Just my opnion for ya.

Al
Old 09-13-2002, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

I swear, these perps come near me, I'll put them out of their misery.
Screw a trial. I'll be judge and executioner.
Cool:eek:
Looks like we might be going on strike. Maybe for fun i'll come by and mess with ya Now that i know all your secrets to your rig
Old 09-13-2002, 11:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Al, I thought about putting a sensor back there too, but not now.
My shock sensor on this alarm is really great.

You can tap on my fender flares and it will go off.
Todd did it to my rig last year at Boeing

The rear window is coverd via the shock sensor too. If I tap on the glass hard enough, it sets the alarm off.

Even putting down the tailgate sets the alarm off, it's that sensitive.
I'm pretty well covered now. I also decided to not have him adjust it.
I went to the shop early and spoke with him.
Showed him how when the windows are up the sensor will pick up a person walking by within a foot.

He says that's good. It won't set the alarm off, but it just chirps, and lets the person know to back off.
But as soon as your hand enters inside, it goes off.
That was my main concern if a perp was able to get the window down without setting off the shcok sensor.
He said it's pretty hard to force down an electric window in a Toyota though.

Todd, do you think the mood was for the strike sanction as well?
If there is a strike, it might bring me back faster.
It did last time you guy's had the strike of '96.

Yeah, I need someone to test out the rig at 2 am. Been meaning to try out that new cell I got from Andy
Old 09-16-2002, 12:46 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Prox sensors suck, and my neighbors are getting mad at me :mad:

Got his thing put in last Thursday.
Since then, I have had the alarm go off full bore 3 times for now reason.

Last night while I was sound asleep my neighbors were ringing my doorbell at 4 am.
I can't hear them as I have to sleep with earplugs.
That is one reason I have my alarm pager. If the alarm goes off, the pager will wake me up.

What was happening was the warning chirps which sounds off ten times was doing it for a half hour.
Even though they are just soft chirps, it is still loud in the middle of the night/morning.

Cartoy's told me it's probably the rain.
I got there this morning to have them look at it and they say it's fine, that it was the brains built in knock sensor.

The guy moved the brain last week to put the prox sensor in, and he said since it was moved, it was more sensitive now.
He turned it down.

Then what in the hell just set my alarm off again?
I don't think it's the shock sensor.
It's raining gain, and I bet the radar is picking it up, then either setting off the 10 chirp warning, or setting off the alarm full bore like it just did.

Pisses me off. Now I have to go back again tomorrow.
Needless to say, I told them to yank it out, and I'm getting my $150 back.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prox Falsing

Corey,

Alot of alarms have multiple zones for connecting sensors. (shock, glass break, prox, pin switches, mercury switches, etc)These alarms will bypass (ignore) malfunctioning sensors if they false repeatedly. (If connected properly...) I don't want you to give away what type of alarm it is, but do you know if it has this capability?
Old 09-16-2002, 02:28 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hi Cebby. I have mentioned in other posts here what it is.
It's a DEI Python 650.
A pretty decent alarm.

I have the pin for hood. The shock sensor is built into the brain unit I think.

From reading the book, it has some info in it on ignoring sensors if they repeatedly go off.

I can stand about 8" from my tinted window on the drivers side with it rolled up and get the warning chirp to sound.

What set it off a few hours ago I think was the rain.
Not sure if it was the shock sensor, or the prox sensor picking it up.

The shock sensor has never done it before.
In fact my alarm has only gone off maybe once in the past since I got this in June of 2001.

Last time it went off I think was from a giant pinecone hitting the roof.
I'm thinking this thing is to sensitive.
Oh well, I'm protected via the main unit, and the shock sensors, I don't think I really need the prox sensor.

It was mainly for added piece of mind in case they got the windows down without setting off the shock sensor.

Instead of piece of mind, it's now a big headache.
Either way, it's getting yanked as soon as they open.

I'll take the moola and get this puppy for my CB.

I asked about flies or big bugs setting off the prox, and it is a possibility.
Not good then, because whenever I hit the hills, bugs always hitch a ride back.
I bet a big bee rumbling around in there might even set it off.
I just can't afford to get on the bad side of the neighbors here with this thing going off at night.
Corey
Old 09-16-2002, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Console

That console is sweet. I've got to do something different since I've got the moon roof.

Thanks again for emailling me about this site. I'm like an addict with it now.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Here is another CB idea for you.
It's in Steve S's rig.
http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/pc68xl.jpg

Of course he doesn't have the map lights up in his.
I'm going to show this pic to the shop tomorrow.
They said they could build a console similar to the Aussie one I linked, but it would be more.

Maybe they can do something like Steve's for less $$$.
Corey