Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lost low end with new exhaust?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CTB
I don't think the supercharger's are really hit or miss. Ya, true, Casey did not have good luck with the supercharger on this 4Cyl, but I don't think you will hear many, if any, complaints from the guys who put them on the 3.4's.

Granted, to run optimally, there needs to be a couple fuel delivery upgrades, but like I said, I don't think the increased performance outcomes are hit or miss.
I have to disagree in part and say that adding a SC creates a situation where you are going to walk a very fine line. IF you install the SC and leave everything else alone, you will be pleased with the modest HP and, more importantly, TORQUE gains. BUT .... most guys use the SC as a gateway to other mods in hopes of getting something from a 4R that is really not possible, at least not without a lot of trial and error and a lot of money. There are a couple of very fast high HP 4Runners out there from what I have been able to see, but if you read the Bio on these trucks you will see what I am talking about. Guys like Dr. Z and Mr. Gadget have been fooling around with their Runners for a while and they are I guess really pioneering the tuning with the limited equipment that is out there.

Since I had the SC installed, I have opened (deckplate mod w/ Amsoil filter) and closed the airbox (back to stock filter) and have installed and removed the TRD catback exhaust. So-o-o, my truck is now stock except for the SC. What I am coming to realize is that the truck is running better now than it ever has. It has more torque at the low end than ever before, plus it pulls very smoothly right up to redline.

If you can be happy with just having a SC, with the associated power and cache, then the SC is not hit or miss; it's exactly what Toyota intended it to be. However, if you start dreaming about becoming the baddest 4Runner on the block you'd better be prepared for shelling out some major bucks on parts and aspirin.

This is just my opinion and I recognize that this is going to be controversial.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Del

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I finally had a chance to advance my timing, and wow what a difference
Is it safe/smart to do anything to the timing w/out any mods? If so, how do I adjust my timing?
Old 04-05-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Bumpin' Yota
How do I advance the timing on my 3.slow? Since I have the FIPK and soon a hiflow cat with stock everything else, should I do it with my engine having 218400 miles? Right now Im running Cheveron 89 octane to keep from pinging....

well any input???

Del has the same question that I do....
Old 04-05-2003, 03:46 PM
Del

Hey Bumpin, I was downloading some music and got to wondering, what songs/artists do you use when you compete?
Old 04-05-2003, 04:10 PM

Advancing the timing is easy, on a 3.0 V6

First connect the E1 to TE1 using a wire, they are in the grey box on the passenger side fender. Flip open the lid and the connection locations are shown on the inside of the lid.

Second start the truck and make sure the "check" engine light is blinking on the dash board.

Now connect your timing light, and check see were your timing is set at. Adjust your distributor, turning it to the right, until you line up the marks on the crank pulley to 12* position on the timing cover.

Tighten the distrubutor and your ready to go.

Del, Im moving to Rehdondo Beach in June !!!!!!!!!!
Lets go wheelin'
Old 04-05-2003, 04:22 PM
Del

Yea that would be fun! Hopefully my tranny will hold up. Also you should know besides BFG M/T's, Im all stock, so I won't be able to do anything gnarly, but I still want to go :smile:
Old 04-05-2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Del
Hey Bumpin, I was downloading some music and got to wondering, what songs/artists do you use when you compete?
For spl, when I had a wall, I pretty much used a sinusoidal wave centered around 42hz. When it comes to spl, I only use test tones.

Now showing off to the crowd, a great bass song was "Lock On Target" from IBP. That bad boy would knock hats off from the air movement when people would stick their head in the window. And 27hz would have people, me included, constantly gaping to re-equalize eardrums from the rapid pressure change.

I can just see myself 10yrs down the road...."WHAT?!!?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!! SPEAK UP!!" lol
Old 04-05-2003, 09:07 PM
Del

Cool thx Steve. BTW I sent you an email reguarding this topic cause I have a broken knee and need something to do for a while (like download music) to pass the time. So go ahead and disregard the email I sent. Very nice pics on your Sound Domain page though.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Del

Oh BTW, is IBP short for anything cause I'm having a hard time finding it. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:11 PM

Im sorry, that song was by Bass Mekanik not IBP

IBP had done some great stuff too like starwars bass. IBP stands for innovative bass productions.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:13 PM
Del

Ah... Muchas Gracias for the info.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by DrtRunner
Advancing the timing is easy, on a 3.0 V6

First connect the E1 to TE1 using a wire, they are in the grey box on the passenger side fender. Flip open the lid and the connection locations are shown on the inside of the lid.

Second start the truck and make sure the "check" engine light is blinking on the dash board.

Now connect your timing light, and check see were your timing is set at. Adjust your distributor, turning it to the right, until you line up the marks on the crank pulley to 12* position on the timing cover.

Tighten the distrubutor and your ready to go.

Del, Im moving to Rehdondo Beach in June !!!!!!!!!!
Lets go wheelin'
I followed everything until you got to the part about "...until you line up the marks on the crank pully to the 12* position on the timing cover..." huh? The engine has to be stopped to see the crank pully mark doesnt it? Right now it's resting to the right of 10* mark at about 8 to 9 if that means anything.
Steve

edit - - -

Having NEVER seen a timing light nor knowing how to use one, I went out and bought one, then read the directions. For anyone who may be in my boat, the timing light is flashed upon the crankshaft pulley whilst the engine is running and the mark will appear stationary during the strobing effect. The timing light will strobe everytime cylinder #1 fires.

My HOT engine (30min drive) at 800 rpm is sitting at ~13*, turn on the A/C and it's about 20* Now is THAT normal?

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 04-06-2003 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Away

Originally posted by zedex
I posted it again so you can read it again dr z. I was speaking solely on modifying the exhaust side with cat and muffler. And you agreed with it. Obviously if your going to mod the exhaust side you should do the same for the intake side.Which most end up doing because performance suffers from just modding the exhaust. Plus having to remap the timing. So if you reread my original post you will see what i was talking about. I think alot of people think that just by plunking on some free flowing cat and muffler that they will get a jump in performance. They dont realize that there is alot more to it. If you disturb the balance on the exhaust side you have to make up for it on the intake side which is what you did. Not to mention timing.
Toyota spends millions on research and developement to get the optimum performance and FUEL EFFICIENCY out of the motor that comes from the factory. Its tuned as a package. (power, torque,fuel efficiency,emissions,noise level) You disturb one side, you have to disturb the other side to gain optimum results. Which was my point.
I guess I should have read your post a bit more thoroughly before replying. My apoligies if I offended. But, what stuck out was the comment on Toyota optimizing performance. I just don't agree with that. I think they compromise and sacrifice performance for the sake of interior noise level, and to appease the EPA perhaps, rather than optimize for the aformentioned items. I suppose that's what they're supposed to do.

I still think if you install a well-tuned exhaust system and don't even touch the intake side of things that you will see gains and not losses on these engines. Of course, as already mentioned, playing with both sides will net greater gains.

Anyhoo, I meant to reply to this sooner. Good to see you on the boards. Take care.

Dr. Z