Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Look how cute my twins are!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oooo Tell me more about URD's project.

Stegall984R
I have the toyota E153 with a standard diff hooked to the motor via a 1mz flywheel, 3SGTE clutch and pressure plate. I feel that the E153 is probably the strongest transverse box I can find that will work with this motor. I may switch to the solara box if i cant get the gear ratios long enough with the taller profile tires I will be running.

Speaking of tires, The wheels will be mustang cobra 17x10.5" wheels in the rear and 17x9" up front. As far as tires go, I havent decided yet but I may just get some used 911 tires from the dealership around the corner till I pic something out.

Hey Stegall984R your less than 80 miles away, we will be rolling through your town on our way to a car show in sep. We may even have an RB powered xterra coming with us too, man that thing is a hauss.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:53 PM

damn im interested in this
Old 03-18-2005, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by node
Oooo Tell me more about URD's project.
I don't really know if I can. Brian said that it's being talked about online, but I haven't been able to find it. Gadget's subbed to a number of different forums, but I don't think he's talked about it here.

Lemme talk to Brian and see if I can say more or if I can point you to Gadget's public info.

One thing I _can_ point out is that the URD website is changing a bit... They're caring a LOT more products these days (for example, they're carrying _all_ of the Innovate Motorsports products - those are the folks that make the LM-1 wideband) and they're making room for more.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
Originally Posted by node
Hey Stegall984R your less than 80 miles away, we will be rolling through your town on our way to a car show in sep. We may even have an RB powered xterra coming with us too, man that thing is a hauss.

Wheres the car show located ? ATL maybe ? Wanna put a lifted runner on display with your booth ??? Id defaintly like to check out the Mister2
Old 03-19-2005, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Stegall984R
Wheres the car show located ? ATL maybe ? Wanna put a lifted runner on display with your booth ??? Id defaintly like to check out the Mister2
LOL yea, we will be showing in a booth at the Atlanta Motor Speedway It would be cool to show a HugeRunner there too. I dont think it would fit under our canopy though. It would be cool to park one of out sports cars under it though hehe(well at least the front of the car).

Heres a vid from last week with no headers. Listen to how much better the engine sounds on the first start. The second run the fueling was all wrong and it sounded like a tractor LOL. Engine start up and test wo headers before turbo install.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id suggest a new headgasket and better hardware that can be torqued down more...those would be a good just in case addon that doesnt cost too much if you can do it yourself.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:07 PM

node
your oen crazy mofo dude!!!!!!

but me likes
Old 03-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
Heres a pic of the truck I'll tag along if its cool !

Old 03-19-2005, 10:49 PM

Engine start video fixed

Hell yea, You should see some of the trucks that are at the show. I have pics of a honda prelude parked completely underneath a jacked up hummer. Like parked with the middle of the car directly under the bottom of the truck!

Man, those wheels look nice on there.

Yea, the stronger head bolts and more torque will be done eventually. Anybody know where I can get a stronger or even thicker than stock head gasket? I hope I can get the remainder of the exhaust welded up tomorrow and drive car a bit. I will be running the turbos with their wastegates open for a few days while I get the base fuel tuned in. Ill try to get the motor tuned to at least 7 psi by next weekend but I wont be able to get to the dyno for at least a couple of weeks. I promise the 4runner community will benifit from the components I develop. I will also try to share as much info as possible, successfull or not.

Heres a few pics of the engine transaxel install and rework
And a good pic of the engine/transaxel package dropping in.

Last edited by node; 03-19-2005 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What vehicle are you putting the 3.4L into? MR2?

What tranny are you using in the install pics to mate up to the 3.4L?

Very interesting project btw!
Old 03-21-2005, 08:21 AM

Well, the cutting and fitting went well. I didnt really consider how much bitter the turbos are with the downpipes and wastegate actuators on there. The rear turbbo is about 1" from the cross member. It very tight in there, but its going to work. I may have to make an engine torque brace to keep it from hitting the turbo on anything back there.

I still have to weld the pices togeather and make up some heat shilding for the coolent lines that run past the front turbo. so they dont cook. That wouldent be a problem on a 4runner though.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Hey man, where are you located?? The next time i'm in town I'd love to stop by and see this crazy project you have going here. I really need to get on my fuel mods because my truck definitely doesn't like the higher altitudes! Nopi is crazy... I can't wait for this year. If you have room for two big runners I'd love to join too! Last year I got to meet some guys from Canada that had some CRAZY cars... I got to ride in the supra that was in front of the BFG tent, thing was NUTS. Anywho... I also can't wait to see how this turns out, too bad I already jumped on the S/C band wagon. Oh well... You should definitely be able to get more than 7psi out of this motor. With proper fuel, people are running 9psi w/o a hitch. It will be interesting to see about your spark theory though. Keep up the good work!!
Old 04-10-2005, 10:58 PM

Im in Asheville NC about 3 hrs from you. I will be arranging a meeting for breakfast when we are all headed down to nopi. Somewhere near the track I guess. That way all the different clubs can join up and drive in togeather. Ill email ya when the time gets closer. Nice pics BTW

Here is a video of the engine running in the car GTSTARTUP

I also added a video page on my site and ill be updating it with some vids of the turbo sounds soon

Last edited by node; 04-10-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributing Member

haha,
I guess you didn't read my whole location... I was raised in Asheville and my mom still lives there so I go up there from time to time. A buddy of mine is fabbing up a rear bumper up there, so I will be going back up within the next month or so to finalize that and get it on the truck. Thanks for the compliments on the photos! We will have to get some of that monster once it gets to the paint shop. You ever been by Larry's Performance Werks on Meromin? Hes been a Porsche tuner since I was born... pretty cool guy, not TOO into the japanese stuff, but he has some nice cars in there. He is working on a crazy cup car right now (He is a Porsche CCA Race Instructor) Hes a really cool guy if you meet him on a good day. haha, He used to be my mechanic when I had a Volvo but he can get a little stressed... we will have to go over sometime when I'm in town and you can see this cup car. Its pretty nuts...

I might be interested in coming up there and caravanning down with you guys to nopi, but damn... thats a lot of driving! We will have to play it by ear. (its 4.5hrs to asheville from Savannah) How much would it be to enter my truck with your group? Isn't it something like $30? I'll have to get the buffer out and go to town... Ive got trail love all over this thing

Last edited by turboale; 04-11-2005 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:20 AM

OK, here goes

Here are some more pics of the NEW turbo manifolds, Once more please remember this was only my second time welding :rolleyes: ehh the entire car is a prototype anyway, IMO its ok for some stuff to be ghetto.

Last edited by node; 04-16-2005 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:21 AM

Here is my IC cooling system so far, I may still go with a different mesh over the MR2 vent thinggy. I will be using 2 stock IC fans blowing air out the back and one BIG fan pulling air up through the IC at the bottom of the trunk. You can clearly see where Im starting to cut holes for the IC pipes into the engine bay. Im looking for a surround for the lock mechanism but im also considering doing away with it alltogeather.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:22 AM

You can see that the engine now sits about 1" lower than it did when I first fit it up.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:26 AM

I got a couple mini guages that I thought were just SOOO cool hehe
Old 04-16-2005, 10:27 AM

Here are my supra 712's nice and beafy :evillaugh

I now have to finish my IC pipeing and intake pipes. I also need to find some hose that wont get all squishy when the hot oil from the turbos goes through it back to the pan. :mad:
Old 04-16-2005, 10:35 AM

Turboable, If your up in Asheville gimme a call 8282167719. I was thinking that our caravan of cars would meet up with your crew in Atlanta. There ware 25 cars with us so far for this show. We could all meet up and get breakfast somewhere near the show. Yea its like $30 or $40 for two days entry at the show. I have a buddy named robert who is a porshe tech at the dealer further down marimon ave, he may know your buddy.