Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lifted runners & child seats, hard to use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifted runners & child seats, hard to use?

Looking at tigertowncruiser's lift pics, I love it, and have been thinking a lot about going for the 3-4 inch lift this spring.... but now I've got additional things to consider aside from aesthetics and improved clearance, as my wife and I are newly expecting our first child in July. I'm only about 5'9, and I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to get a kid in/out of the Runner very well if I lift it.

Also...slightly related topic, anybody have specific recommendations for a good travel system that fits well in the 3rd gen runners? My wife seems to like the chicco and graco stuff. When I was searching for info on lifted trucks and child seats, I came across a lot of people talking about the LATCH system pros/cons/mounting options/etc. Holy sheeeesh, I had no idea the child seat thing would get so complicated. help? First kid here, 6 months head start is better than none, but dang... so much to figure out!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see you're getting a head start on things at least.

You could throw some running boards on, that might help with getting up to strap the little tike in. There's a lot of them around.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by okie81
Good to see you're getting a head start on things at least.

You could throw some running boards on, that might help with getting up to strap the little tike in. There's a lot of them around.

I've got my stock set on a shelf in the garage... always an option, though I'd rather stand on solid ground. I'm afraid I'd slip on them with the kid in my arms. Maybe I could re-spray them with a little grit (non-slip deck paint additive) from the boat store mixed into the stock silver for grip.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:18 AM

I don't think you'll have too much of a problem. The kid will be in the carseat, so you have the seat handle to hold onto. The seat will just pop into the base that is already locked into the Runner.
I have used the Chicco travel system. Very simple to just put the seat in one handed and it will click right into the base. Just as easy to get out. Although I didn't have my 4Runner when I used the Chicco. I had a 3 Series BMW and my wife has a 5. The 3 has a very tight back seat (I"m also 6' 2") and the Chicco system fit in there beautifully, so I think that you won't have any problems with fit. Also, the BMWs didn't have the LATCH system and the base for the Chicco would lock in no problem with the shoulder belts. The LATCH will make it a 2 second deal to remove the base if you decide on only one if you have two vehicles. I went with two bases.
Hope I helped you out.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by TRT4Runner
I don't think you'll have too much of a problem. The kid will be in the carseat, so you have the seat handle to hold onto. The seat will just pop into the base that is already locked into the Runner.
I have used the Chicco travel system. Very simple to just put the seat in one handed and it will click right into the base. Just as easy to get out. Although I didn't have my 4Runner when I used the Chicco. I had a 3 Series BMW and my wife has a 5. The 3 has a very tight back seat (I"m also 6' 2") and the Chicco system fit in there beautifully, so I think that you won't have any problems with fit. Also, the BMWs didn't have the LATCH system and the base for the Chicco would lock in no problem with the shoulder belts. The LATCH will make it a 2 second deal to remove the base if you decide on only one if you have two vehicles. I went with two bases.
Hope I helped you out.
AH! ok, so the LATCH system is more of a quick-release option for if you have to swap one seat between two vehicles? Being the first I had heard of it, I thought it was something else, more of a standard mounting method that I would need to make work. So going with 1 matching seat base for each car, I could forget the whole LATCH thing? Sorry if I'm being unclear, I literally had never heard of this before I read about it earlier today.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 AM

The LATCH system is the standard latch points for carseats. All vehicles now have them. Two "D" loops between the back and bottom seat cushion of the vehicle (where you latch the carseat base to), and a "D" loop on the floor of the cargo area. You don't need to use that one until you get to a child booster seat.
The carseat base has what looks like mini seat belts on each side that you use to lock into the "D' loops.
Confused yet? Hope I haven't gotten you all messed up....
Old 12-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by TRT4Runner
The LATCH system is the standard latch points for carseats. All vehicles now have them. Two "D" loops between the back and bottom seat cushion of the vehicle (where you latch the carseat base to), and a "D" loop on the floor of the cargo area. You don't need to use that one until you get to a child booster seat.
The carseat base has what looks like mini seat belts on each side that you use to lock into the "D' loops.
Confused yet? Hope I haven't gotten you all messed up....

I'm sure this will be infinitely more clear to me once I get my hands on the thing and start working on latching it down. The seat, that is
Old 12-17-2009, 09:35 PM

My wife's 4runner is set up almost identically to mine (see my signature below). Same lift ~3" along with larger tires (285s which are ~33"). She's 5'8" and has no trouble getting our kids when they were babies or now (3 and 1) in and out of her 4runner.

Our 4runners don't have the "latch" system so you don't even need to worry about that. You can mount car seat (or "travel system" base) to either the non-shoulder center seat belt or either side's sholdered seat belts. We went with the Chico "travel system". It worked very nicely.

It is possible that your local fire department to help you if you're worried about putting the seat in. I am a firefighter for the city of Phoenix and our department offers this service by appointment. The firefighters that are certified to install the car seats take over 40 hours of training so that they can understand the nuances to all the different cars and car seats. Also, take the time to read the car seat manual. Many of the seats are made in other countries and when they translate the instructions into English... some do better than others .

When you're securing the car seat to the actual seat belt of truck, get a knee in the car seat and push it down while tightening the seat belt so it is locked in tight, otherwise they move around too much. Putting in the car seat is just like doing anything else to your truck. The first time you do it... it takes much longer then every subsequent time. Be patient and do it on a day with cool weather... I put my 1st one in durning a 110 degree day in August... not fun.

I suggest mounting the seat in the middle of your truck. This way in the chance of an accident any intrusions by another vehicle are as far away from your child as possible. From what I've seen at the many car accidents I've responded to, any extra space, even a few inches... can change the outcome dramatically. Also placing the car seat in the middle allows you to still hold two adult passengers in the back. It is a bit more of a pain to get to the middle of the truck but I thought it was worth doing for the safty gains.

Good luck, congrats on the new addition to your family.

Last edited by panzer; 12-17-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 AM

Thanks Panzer, that's really helpful! I always just assumed the seat went in the middle, since that's how my brother and most of our friends with kids have done it. I was thinking of it in terms of being directly in the field of rearward vision for the driver, but being away from sites of impact sounds like a much more motivating reason.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

I have the OME combo and i have no trouble with the child seats. My wife is 4'11 and its hard for her to get him in at times. She usually gets in the other side and put him in from the inside. (if that makes sense). When installing just make sure you pull all slack out of the seat belt first in order to engage the lock system. I was so pissed when i tried to get the seat in for the first time...lol Good luck and congrats on the little one!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 465 Likes on 311 Posts
I'm 5'9 and have no problem reaching the car seat which is in the middle, and I have a short body. Well before he was two I'd just set him on the truck's seat and he'd walk over and put himself in the seat, then I'd buckle it. Now that he's 6 he can climb into the truck on his own but it's a little difficult for him so I often just lift him in. He is a little on the short side and only 45#, though.
His first seat was a Evenflo Triumph and now he's got a Sunshine Kids Radian 65, which I like much much much much much much much much better.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:39 AM

ya these are really good tips that everyone is posting... i had this exact problem a while back bc i really wanted my lift and was expecting a child. I almost didnt get my lift bc i wasnt sure but i have had no problems yet and i love the lift bc ive wanted it for so long.

I have the 3" OME lift with 285s and left the running boards on just bc it makes it much easier to get the baby in and wat not. Im 5'8 and have no problem getting in the car without the running boards but it does help my gf who is only 5'2 to get the baby in the car. I dont think ull really need to put any kind of gripping on the running boards bc most of the time we just put the car seat on the seat and then get on the running boards and place the baby in the center of the car.

So we went with the graco car seat, base, and stroller (cost about $350 at toys r us but well worth it). The base stays in the car which helps alot and makes it much easier and more convenient to get the baby in and out. It also is much more secure and tight bc u only have to tighten the seat belt into the base once instead of trying to do it everytime especially when its cold and wet outside. I also noticed that when i put the car seat without the base it has a tendency to want to lean to one side of the car which is NOT good and it is not as securely fastened as the car base. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

It does help i think personally to have the car seat in the middle bc u can easily see the baby at a stop light when ur looking back and/or u can buy those mirrors that face the baby (my gf has one in her civic). BUt it also does make things seem a little safer bc the baby is in the middle of the car. Toys R' Us recommends that u take a class they offer for free on how to put the car seat in correctly and do stay it is BEST to put the seat in the center of the car.

Well i hope this helps though most of the guys on here have hit most if not all of these points already but i thought id mention them again bc the more ppl say it, the more it keeps to sound like everyone does it that way!
Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 AM

One other tip regarding tightening the belt on the seat (or base). Once you have the belt latched, slowly pull all the remaining slack out of the retractor. Once you reach the end, it will stop, and when you let go, it will make a ratcheting sound. This is the same ratchet that keeps your belt from coming loose upon impact. So, you are in effect pre-locking the belt when you do this. Then, put your knee into the seat and take out all the slack from the other end. As you do this, the belt will ratchet back into the retractor and be very tight. This is something the fire/ems folks should tell you too.

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by The Ruckus
My wife seems to like the chicco and graco stuff.
I can't believe I'm commenting on kid seats. wow the times have changed.

Quick note on the chicco (keyfit 30) seat. The kid loves it and the quick release bases are a breeze. But, there's a couple drawbacks. Actually, only one. Size. Its a 30 lber, so the external dimensions are a bit bigger than expected. in the 4 runner, it requires a seat to be a few clicks forward (Depending upon seat angle). it was also a bit of a bear for my wife to lug around with the kid in it - at the upper end of the weight spectrum.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:51 PM

Big day in our world.... purchased the first car seat! We went with a Graco Snugride that an extremely trustworthy and OCD co-worker didn't need any more (No worries, I checked the expiration date. Even with the suggested 6 year life span, we've got at least 2 years to go). came with two bases. I can't stop playing with the thing. I went out and got a SWEEEEEET seat/stroller warmy-wrappy-sleepy... thingamajig. I'm sure you experienced parents out there know what I'm talking about. It looks exactly like a miniature mummybag. How cool is that?! I didn't get my first sleeping bag until I was like, 10. This kid has one before even being born! Yeah, due date is July 4, but hey, it's michigan! I'm sure we'll be putting it to use in September.