Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

just rotated my tires and noticed a leaking axle seal...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just rotated my tires and noticed a leaking axle seal...

Well, I was hoping I wouldn't find this but it's definitely leaking. The passenger side drum has oil dripping from it and there is a dark stripe in the wheel well from the splatter.
What should do ?
a) Attempt to fix it myself
b) Bring it to my brother's father-in-law (mechanic)
c) the dreaded stealership

Is this something I have to get done asap or can I wait a few days? Should the other side be done too?
This really sucks. I just paid off the runner last week so the funds are low and I'm going on vacation next week. SOB!!!
Old 08-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Its an easy fix - https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...m1_oilseal.htm

I changed mine out a few weeks ago...took about an hour and a half. I noticed when I removed the axle that no oil spilled out-so I thought it was bone dry but after replacing BOTH (I suggest) seals I went to fill the diff and it only took a small amount! - I'm guessing that the seal was leaking for at least 5 days but most of the oil was below the level of the seals-I think you are fine for a few days.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:23 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: just rotated my tires and noticed a leaking axle seal...

Originally posted by TStango
Well, I was hoping I wouldn't find this but it's definitely leaking. The passenger side drum has oil dripping from it and there is a dark stripe in the wheel well from the splatter.
What should do ?
a) Attempt to fix it myself
b) Bring it to my brother's father-in-law (mechanic)
c) the dreaded stealership

Is this something I have to get done asap or can I wait a few days? Should the other side be done too?
This really sucks. I just paid off the runner last week so the funds are low and I'm going on vacation next week. SOB!!!
Wierd I posted about a similar issue even the same side with my 96 a few weeks ago really not much as far as replies other than its probably a leaking seal. I just cleaned mine up with some brake cleaner and to this day been atleast 3-4 weeks and no more sign of this leak let me know what you find if anything.
Might be worth cleaning up and seeing if the leak is still there, worth a try. I;m still checking mine regularly as still no dripping from the drum onto the back of the wheel. I'm just wondering if there maybe some other reason for this one time leakage.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Re: just rotated my tires and noticed a leaking axle seal...

Originally posted by WT
Wierd I posted about a similar issue even the same side with my 96 a few weeks ago really not much as far as replies other than its probably a leaking seal. I just cleaned mine up with some brake cleaner and to this day been atleast 3-4 weeks and no more sign of this leak let me know what you find if anything.
Might be worth cleaning up and seeing if the leak is still there, worth a try. I;m still checking mine regularly as still no dripping from the drum onto the back of the wheel. I'm just wondering if there maybe some other reason for this one time leakage.
You know, I had the exact same thing happen to my 97. I had an oily stain going down the rim and onto the tire, but it never changed, never got larger, and never appeared on any other part of the wheel. I changed the diff oil last weekend, so I know it hasn't lost enough to be dangerous. I wonder if it's possible for it to "burp" oil or leak under strenous conditions (I first noticed it after going offroading on a tough, rocky trail). I cleaned it up today and will keep an eye out for new oil.

Chris
Old 08-04-2003, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Rear axle seals sometimes start and stop leaking. I suspect a bit of dust or small metal specs get in the seals and then work themselves out. No harm in cleaning it and watching it for a few days.

Also gotta remember that a couple drops of oil can look like a large leak. It would have to be streaming out to drain the diff.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was leaking pretty good. Took it to the dealer to have them replace it a 3rd time (for freee). They told me it was a bent axle and ordered one for me. I noticed though, that the diff breather was nice and shiney...someone had cleaned it and it wasn't me. I figured, if the axle was bent, then it's been bent for the past 2 years (that's when it started leaking). So we loaded up a half-ton of people, dogs and gear and took off to NM. It hasn't leaked yet.

Clean the diff breather, pull the drums, use spray brake cleaner to clean the shoes and see it that doesn't stop it.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I think I will need to investigate it further.
One more question, would you have to replace the bearing too when replacing the seal?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by TStango
One more question, would you have to replace the bearing too when replacing the seal?
You wouldn't have to. I've done seals on a couple other trucks but not the 4runner. I've never changed wheel bearings and the new seals stopped the leaks. Changing bearings generally makes the job a lot more complicated too.
Old 08-11-2003, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I cleaned up the oil on my rim and drove the 4Runner for about 200 miles or so. I have yet to see any new drips. Even the oil that was there was only in one spot and looked old. There was no indication of any drips coming from the drumbrake assembly either.

Chris
Old 08-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by gwhayduke
Clean the diff breather, pull the drums, use spray brake cleaner to clean the shoes and see it that doesn't stop it.
That is a good suggestion because a clogged breather can cause just enuf extra pressure (when driving it gets hot in there) to build up inside the axle to force oil past seals that may still be good for a few miles to come.