Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

I need a new radiator--any suggestions or upgrade ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a new radiator--any suggestions or upgrade ideas?

Hey all,
My radiator has been leaking for a bit. At first I was planning on just getting it repaired. Well, the guy at a very reputable shop told me that it would be better if I just got a new one because the cracks in the radiator are on the little ridges on the top. He said he couldn't really guarantee that they could fix it (plus it was right where some previous repairs were done). Anyhow, does this seem to be a smart move? If I pull the radiator, they will charge me $45 to fix it. If I get a new one and install it myself, it would run my a bit more than $170. $280 if they install it. Does this seem like a good deal?

Another question: Is the radiator pretty easy to replace? Any write-ups anywhere on this?

Also, I'm thinking about doing an electric fan conversion while I'm at it. Any recommended brand that is cheap? Is that easy to do?

Any other suggested upgrades while I have the radiator out? I've already replaced the thermo a couple of months ago.

Well, sorry about all the questions. Thanks in advance.
Have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 03-03-2003, 12:16 PM

If you got the Cash and you want the performance and long lasting great craftmanship I would only go with "Fluidyne" radiators, PWR I heard makes really good ones as well. On the Electric fan subject I would recommend a FLEX A LITE, they claim to give a Max of 17hp gain, on actually believing that hp Gain, I would have to see dyno sheets but anyways, They do great on engine temp and HP gains, I am going to be setting up my SUPRA with a Fluidyne High performance radiator and Flex a Lite dual electric fans just to tell you I DO stand by on these recommendations, setup is not that bad on the fans, but the radiator is quite time consuming and very messes if you dont drain all your last fluid! anyways hope this helps
Old 03-03-2003, 12:18 PM

this is a link for the dual fans for your year "1990"

http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts....categoryid=330
Old 03-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Changin radiators out isn't that hard of a job. I bought a radiator from carradiatordirect last year for my previous truck, a Pathfinder and they had the best prices and quick shipping. They do have it for your truck here for $125. Check it out.

Check out summit racing for prices on electric fans, although some parts stores may carry other brands that would work. Now would be the time to that, too, since you'll already have all of the coolant drained...

Hope this helps
Old 03-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, thanks all. You all have been a lot of help.

I may just go with the Toyota radiator that loosehead provided a link to. I checked the others (Summit and Fluidyne) also, but they were a lot more $$ than I need to spend right now. Right now rims are more important than a fancy radiator.

I did run across a fan on the summit site. It's made by Derale (or something like that). I think it's around $120 if I remember correctly. It's a bit more in my price range than those flex-a-lite ones. Those thangs are expensive! I may just stick with the setup I have now. :cry:

Anybody know what the CFM of the stock fan is?

Thanks all. Anymore suggestions?
Have fun.
DH6twinotter

Last edited by DH6twinotter; 03-03-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:38 PM

I recently had my radiator recored. County Radiator in Orange, CA replaced my 3 rows with 4 rows because I never want my truck to overheat again. It was an easy removal and install.

1. Drain it
2. Unbolt the shroud
3. Pull the hoses off for transmission and plug them.
4. Pull the upper and lower water hoses.
5 Unbolt the 4 bolts on the radiator
6. Pull it out.

I paid $225.00 for my recore but you can't buy a 4 row radiator new.

It works great.
I drove up the same grade that caused my truck to overheat with the heater going a week before except this time I had the AC going and the temp gauage held rock solid it the middle.

good lick
Andy
Old 03-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Hey thanks again all. I think I will order that radiator from the place loosehead said. They have free shipping too (If I understand correctly--going to call tomorrow).

Thanks for the instructions ringo234. Sounds pretty simple.

Well, have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 03-06-2003, 07:17 AM

I forgot one thing, you need to to remove the skid plate.
No biggy just 4 bolts.

Good luck
Andy
Old 03-06-2003, 03:09 PM

Hey DH6,

I just bought a radiator last week for $177.00 bucks and it was made by CSF imports. It has a 3 rows of core and it is a lifetime warranty. My rad is also rotting and has 4 pin holes on top tank, so I decided to go ahead and get a new one instead of taking it to a repair shop. Lifetime warranty is a plus.

Removal and replacement should be a breeze. Don't forget to get the Toyota Red anti-freeze. I think IMO, this coolant is far better than the one at Advance or Autozone shelves. You might want to replace your radiator cap too while your at it. Have fun!

Noel
Old 03-07-2003, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 4x4CPOSEADOG
Hey DH6,

I just bought a radiator last week for $177.00 bucks and it was made by CSF imports. It has a 3 rows of core and it is a lifetime warranty. My rad is also rotting and has 4 pin holes on top tank, so I decided to go ahead and get a new one instead of taking it to a repair shop. Lifetime warranty is a plus.

Removal and replacement should be a breeze. Don't forget to get the Toyota Red anti-freeze. I think IMO, this coolant is far better than the one at Advance or Autozone shelves. You might want to replace your radiator cap too while your at it. Have fun!

Noel
Thanks alot. I purchased mine the other day from the place loosehead suggested. $125 including shipping and taxes. Lifetime warranty. Friendly folks on the phone. Should be here next Friday or Monday. My radiator had around 4 pin holes on the top too. Is the stock radiator a 3 row? I'll check out the Toyota anit-freeze too. I hear it's also good to use distilled water. Is this so? I just got a new cap a bit ago for the radiator I have in it. I thought that might have been what was leaking, but turns out it's not.

What do you all use to plug up the tranny lines?

Well, have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 03-07-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by DH6twinotter
I hear it's also good to use distilled water. Is this so? I just got a new cap a bit ago for the radiator I have in it. I thought that might have been what was leaking, but turns out it's not.
Yes, I did mix my anti-freeze with distilled water and of course 50/50 or 1 gallon is to 1 gallon ratio. Good to see that you also replaced your cap. Is it good to use distilled water? Maybe because of water purity. Don't forget to put a piece of cloth, say old t-shirt, on top of the funnel when you are about to pour that mixed coolant/water in to the radiator to filter out sediments.

What do you all use to plug up the tranny lines?
I used two vise grips padded with rubber to hold the two rubber tubing coming from the tranny and capped the tranny line from the radiator with two rubber vaccuum cap. I hope this help you out.

Noel