Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HUGE range of estimates - timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HUGE range of estimates - timing belt change

so I'm due for a timing belt change. (got a 97 4runner, 3.4L)

I called 4 places today hoping to do it tomorrow before I head out on a road trip. I've got 90K miles on it and doesn't look like it's been done before (no stickers and still factory belts you can see.) because I just bought it a year and a half ago with 80K.

Anyway, the first place I called has in their computer that it's a chain. Ha, won't go there. goodyear auto.

2nd place quoted me at $250 for the new belt + labor.

3rd place quoted me at $550 for the same service.

4th place quoted me at $856 for the same service, $1163 if we throw in a new water pump, pulleys, tensioner etc. (not sure if it needs all that this time around...)

So what gives?? why is it so different? all the places seem reputable. I was expecting to pay around 400. should I go for the $250 or worry about quality of service?

also I'm going out of town (1300 mile round trip). 650 miles in to the trip I'd be able to have it down there in utah while I get some other business stuff done. so what would your vote be that I do? door number 1 - do it tomorrow at one of those places and leave half a day late and get in at 2AM in utah. door number 2 - just go to utah, have it done there. (probably same price ranges.) door number 3 - road trip, come back in a week and have it done? sticky situation, is it a huge risk to throw on 650 more miles?

also my hindsight for not getting it done earlier is 100%.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:48 PM

I personally would just take it to the dealer and get it done. Usually they have specials or whatever. On the other hand it helps knowing someone there, becuase the quality of work can differ greatly. These other shops, I would be very leery of them doing any of it. Especially at $250 Whoa!
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 PM

Get ALL my belts changed and a new water pump put on for $597 at the dealer.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:08 PM

Another good thing about the dealer is you get the true OEM parts.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:12 PM

that's true. apparently the $250 shop was recommended by my inlaws (or future inlaws - getting married august 18) and they say they do a really good job. it's called "made in japan" or something. my soon to be father in law takes his 03 tacoma there.

sounds good with the dealer, i'll give em a call tomorrow morning to see what they'd do it for. true OEM parts make a big difference. you guys think I should do the water pump / all the belts / pulleys or just do the timing belt for where I'm at (90K) - I am planning on selling it within the next few months
Old 07-25-2007, 07:13 PM

but of course I want to do everything I can to baby it.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 PM

If the water pump doesn't show it's been seeping out of the weep hole, it's most likely ok. It acts as one of the idlers in the belt system.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by safado4
that's true. apparently the $250 shop was recommended by my inlaws (or future inlaws - getting married august 18) and they say they do a really good job. it's called "made in japan" or something. my soon to be father in law takes his 03 tacoma there.

sounds good with the dealer, i'll give em a call tomorrow morning to see what they'd do it for. true OEM parts make a big difference. you guys think I should do the water pump / all the belts / pulleys or just do the timing belt for where I'm at (90K) - I am planning on selling it within the next few months
Id go ahead and do it all for peace of mind and so you might be able to sell it for a few hundred more.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it done right but that is hard to know if you don't have someone you trust. I am luck to have a guy that has been taking care of all are car needs for the past 20 years and i trust him. He may not be the cheapest place but he does it right and if something goes wrong there are no questions asked and he fixes it (only had that happen once...).

The dealer can have hit and miss service, i never take it there unless they are running a special of some kind and then i only take it to my local one that i know pretty well as i am in there regualrly.

Also it makes sense to get the water pump and belts and thermosstat done while you are in there. The extra labor should be almost nothing if they are honest and the parts are not that much.

I got all that done for $800 but next time i will do it myself.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:05 PM

sounds good.

Now the question - do I do it tomorrow in the morning and delay a quick road trip, is it that big of an issue or should I do it when I get back. Anyone have a timing belt break at 90K? or less? on their yota...
Old 07-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Make the trip first. MANY here have gone way over 100k before a timing belt change. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...ng-belt-55233/
Also, have everything else changed when it's done....much cheaper in the long run and it will add value.
Search "timing belt" (titles only) and read the threads.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM

cool. thanks rocket, I did a search but you found a good thread. butterflies leaving the stomach for the trip.

thanks for all the help guys. I appreciate it. love the yotatech community!
Old 07-25-2007, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

no problem.

Some added info for this thread...

Everything Toyota recommends during a timing belt replacement:

Timing belt
water pump
drive belts
thermostat
tensioner
idler
camshaft seals
crank shaft seal
Old 07-26-2007, 01:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rocket
no problem.

Some added info for this thread...

Everything Toyota recommends during a timing belt replacement:

Timing belt
water pump
drive belts
thermostat
tensioner
idler
camshaft seals
crank shaft seal
Im courious what would something like that cost from toyota?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm ill have to swing by and ask my friend at the dealer and see what they charge for fun
Old 07-26-2007, 04:06 AM
Maj

Originally Posted by safado4
I am planning on selling it within the next few months
Given that T-belt breakage is quite rare I wouldn't fool with it since you will be getting rid of the vehicle soon. Replacing the pump, seals, etc. would be even more questionable. I seriously doubt you could recoup the expense of doing those things in the selling price of your rig.

I WOULD however replace the rest of the belts (if you think they are the originals) before the trip. Those are much more prone to failure and it shouldn't cost too much to boot.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:52 AM

i've got 105k on mine and im not really worried. my old manager at work had his break due to a frozen bearing at 125k miles, kind of a pain in the a$$ getting it towed to the shop, but no damage to the motor, so I plan on letting mine go til it snaps.

i'd say dont worry about it, especially if you are selling shortly.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the book quotes 3.8 hours for the t belt, i would charge $368.41 + parts at out shop ($96.95 per hour labor)
Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 AM

$250 is spot on bro. my local yota dealership does them for about that or less. whoever charges you more than that is a rip off. this is what you need done if it hasnt been done in the past 90k miles or more. i got mine estimated at 550$

1. replace Tbelt
2. replace all drive belts
3. replace water pump
4. replace thermostat

not too bad for $550..
Old 07-26-2007, 09:07 AM

I think thats what my dealer quoted me was between 5-6 with everything. The only reason I like the dealer, is the guy doing it has done alot of these, and they have the cash backing them if they break something. Where as most backalley guys tend to say...And I'll quote "We didn't do that "! Thats one thing you don't want to here from anybody working on your rig. I agree also, go do the trip and have it done when you get back. That way if something happens your not without. Unless, your dealer can hook you with a loaner like mine does when you spend enough money!

Quick Reply: HUGE range of estimates - timing belt change