YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

How to tell if my center diff lock is engaged?

Whenever I click to button to lock/unlock the center diff I dont see anything coming up or any indication of it turning on/off. Does the truck need to be in 4WD for it to work?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

jack up the rear end, and have it in neutral, spin the rear tire the other side should go the other direction. then hit the button and spin the tire. they both should go in the same direction. if not then try putting in 4wd and try that again. u might need the truck running as u are testing the locker button.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

He's talking about the center diff. Not a rear locker.

I don't have one with the AWD so I'm not sure. I would imagine you have to be in 4x and then select whether to lock or unlock the center.

98 Toyota 4runner SR5 5-speed, 4-wheel drive, manual hub swap, sonoran steel lift, tundra brakes, black HIDs
89 Porsche 944
86 Porsche 951, most likely getting parted

Sappers forward!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

You have to be in 4WD before the center differential lock can be engaged. When you engage the center differential the 4WD indicaor circled below should have all 4 wheels lit green and the circle in the center should be solid orange. When you are in 4WD with the center differential disengaged, all 4 wheels should be lit green and the center should be blank/off.
Click the image to open in full size.
OME 882s + Nitrocharger 90004s in Front, LX450 8.5 Wraps + KYB Monomax Shocks in Rear, 1.5" 4Crawler Body Lift, 33X12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's on 15X8 steelies, 4.88's with Yukon Grizzley Locker in Rear, Shrockworks Front Bumper, Engo EPF10000S Winch, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fog Lights, Hella Rallye 4000 Euro Beam Driving Lights, Magnaflow 18" Muffler, Sport Hood

Last edited by 4ever4running; 02-25-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

^^^What he said

2000 4Runner Limited 4x4- Mods now coming soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
This forum is called Yotatech, not MarijuanaTech
Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

awsome thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Can someone explain this center diff. Lock vs a transfer case? I have a 97 3rd gen. With 4x4 and stock locker. No center diff.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian24 View Post
Can someone explain this center diff. Lock vs a transfer case? I have a 97 3rd gen. With 4x4 and stock locker. No center diff.
A normal transfer case (at least what you have) is essentially locked when in 4WD. That is front and rear drive shafts turn the same speed all the time. With a center diff, locked, it is the same, but unlocked can let the front and rear shafts turn at different speeds so you can use 4WD on pavement (full time 4WD vs. part time 4WD):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/Glossary.shtml#C
Project: 4Crawler
4Crawler OffRoad - YotaTech discount code
Gettin'Off 4WD Club
Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevanvliet View Post
awsome thanks
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
A normal transfer case (at least what you have) is essentially locked when in 4WD. That is front and rear drive shafts turn the same speed all the time. With a center diff, locked, it is the same, but unlocked can let the front and rear shafts turn at different speeds so you can use 4WD on pavement (full time 4WD vs. part time 4WD):
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/Glossary.shtml#C
That link to the glossary is really handy, definitely something I am going to have to bookmark!
OME 882s + Nitrocharger 90004s in Front, LX450 8.5 Wraps + KYB Monomax Shocks in Rear, 1.5" 4Crawler Body Lift, 33X12.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's on 15X8 steelies, 4.88's with Yukon Grizzley Locker in Rear, Shrockworks Front Bumper, Engo EPF10000S Winch, PIAA 510 Ion Crystal Fog Lights, Hella Rallye 4000 Euro Beam Driving Lights, Magnaflow 18" Muffler, Sport Hood
Old 02-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2000, 4runner, 4wd, 92, case, center, diff, differential, engaged, lock, locked, transfer, unlock, unlocked, wrangler