Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help w/ '01 fog light rewire and other aux. lighting questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help w/ '01 fog light rewire and other aux. lighting questions

Fellows, I need some guidance here and I know that you are just the ones to ask. I tried to do the re-wire of my fog lights today so that they will stay on with the high beams. I located the DRL relay underneath the steering column and the wiring harness that plugs into it. This is where I need to ground the green wire. Problem is, I spent 30 mintues trying to pull the harness from the relay and never could get it. How in the hell does this thing come loose? Are there some tabs that I am not pressing that will release it?

I posted a question about this a couple of months ago and I want to run it by ya'll again. I plan on adding some Piaa driving lights to the front of my 4Runner. I would like to have two different ways to turn them on. First, wire them so they come on when I turn the switch on (when only low beams are on or no lights on). Second, I would like them to come on automatically when I activate the high beams. The way I figure, I need to wire the lights to two different power sources. One that will allow the switch to turn them on and off when the low beams or no lights are on and also a source that will illuminate them when the high beams are activated.

1. Are these power sources on the same harness that I am trying to pull for the stock fog light re-wire? If not, do you know where they are?
2. Does anyone have a wiring diagram of this harness so that I can know what the different wires supply?
3. Down the road, I would like to add some side markers that would be on when the lights are on and also blink when the appropriate turn signal is activated. Ideas or locations for this power source?

I know you guys probably hate posts that are long as hell like this one, but bear with me. I'm still a rookie here. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Later.

Matt
Old 04-16-2003, 03:37 PM

I'm reviving this thread to let people know that on at least an '00 limited all I had to do was rewire the relay under the hood as described on This page "look under additions 2"

In order for the fog lights to stay on during the high beam ( not changing the functionality during "Parking Lights" operation ) I just follwed the under hood directions of bending the top prong and supplying power ti it from the left side of the tail light fuse.

I did not do the under dash part as I don't really care about the fog lights being active at any time other than low and high beam.

Definitely get some female connectors that are 0.187" which are smaller than the standard solderless that is 0.250, it will fit better and not come off....
Old 04-16-2003, 04:18 PM

This is just my opinion but i think your making this more difficult than it has to be. I myself would mount a relay in your engine compartment. Have 12 volts direct from the battery to the relay. Splice into your high beam wire to trigger the relay. Its very simple, You can put a switch inline to control the lights coming on with the highbeams or not. I can or someone here can write you up a simple wiring diagram that anyone can follow.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:07 AM

you might be misunderstanding the intentions of this MOD. The only change is not having the fog lights turn off with the high beams activated. Your method calls for adding a new relay. If you change the switch source to not be reliant upon the low beam you are only adding one 3" wire, not adding any relays. In order to gain the foglights when the lights are turned to only "Parking lights" you cut a wire under the dash and ground it to a bolt a few inches away. There is no need to add anything, basically you are supplying a new power source and ground source to the existing relay...

The easiest way to gain full useage of the foglights would be to have them powered any time the switch is on, but that is a little overkill
Old 04-17-2003, 07:43 AM

aha Yota. My mistake. FACTORY FOGS....ok sorry. I actually forgot about all that. I was refering to the PIAAs he wanted to add later down the road. Seperate wiring harness. Sorry for the confusion and my selective reading abilities.