95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help!! Hunting For Idle 1997 4 Runner 3.4 Liter

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! Hunting For Idle 1997 4 Runner 3.4 Liter

hello,

please help if you can, this is driving me nuts

i have a 1997 3.4 liter 5 speed 4 runner, all in good working order, 215k miles, no recent mods or anything

the truck does have an open element k and n and a 2.5 inch exhaust with a dynomax muffler

anyway the truck seems to gradually hunt for idle and seems that the idle smoothly goes up and down about 50 rpm..maybe a little more, it doesnt spike or shoot up or anything like that

the truck runs great under full throttle, definitely no problem there, it is also very responsive, only that it seems to hunt for idle at times and maybe at lower rpms...about 1500 feels like a very very faint miss (this happens in all gears)

the truck has new plugs, plug wires, overall runs real strong

it also does not pull codes on the OBD2 scanner either

I have checked for vacuum leaks like crazy, I might has well have poured a bucket of starting fluid/ ether over the motor, I am 99.8 percent sure there are no vacuum leaks

I am wondering if there is any sensor, idle control motor that may cause the hunting and low rpm very faint miss I seem to be having

as usual thanks, in advance

tim

boston ma
Old 03-12-2005, 06:28 PM

have you checked the throttle body? My Taco was running a little rough at idle, I took off the intake tube in front of the TB, and the TB was very very dirty. Cleaned it out with some TB cleaner and it ran like a champ... Might be worth a few minutes to check.

Steve
Old 03-13-2005, 02:24 AM

thanks, will check that

any other ideas?
Old 03-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

When my rig had idle problems, I took off the TB and cleaned it out completely. At the same time the MAF sensor was done as well, now it idles real smooth. Between the TPS or the MAF are the most common that go wrong causing a bad idle.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Nic

My 84 Camry was having problems, not so much idle, but at different times under throttle it would "miss", for the lack of a better word. It was a worn out throttle position sensor. However, as already suggested, I would bet the throttle body may need cleaning on yours.

By the way, you may want to run a can of good fuel cleaner like BG 44K through it. Everyone spoke highly of it here. I tried it on my old car and it really helped. If you haven't ever done it, it might be a good idea to change your fuel filter too, then run the cleaner through it first though. You can also use seafoam too. It seems to be pretty good and is cheaper and easier to find.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:04 PM

can you provide me a link, or info on that BG?

I am off to Costa Rica,,,so will tackle it when I get back....

thanks, please keep posting recommendations on this topic if you can, I want to go through everything get it squared away
Old 03-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Nic

There are many many links to the thread. Just use search and put in 44K. Several will pop up. Here is one:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=44k

I bought 4 cans off of eBay last year. I can't remember what I paid, but it looks to be about $17.00 a can now-if you count the shipping. I think others have said it is about $20.00 per can locally. The problem is finding it. I have seen it on display at the Toytota dealerships here. I have no idea what they charge.

http://search.ebay.com/BG-44K_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8
Old 03-14-2005, 04:12 AM

after having the problem of my truck misfiring last week, the plug wire was shot......so now as i have to warranty the bosch wires that were on the truck

i threw on my 200k stock wires that i saved in case of emergency..so who knows how good those are

so first i will replace the plug wires and go from there, throttle body and maf cleaning also in order...the more i drive it, with the radio etc, seems def like there is a very slight miss that is most noticeable in the 1500-2000 rpm range

thanks, tim
Old 03-14-2005, 05:13 AM

found this thread,,,grabbed the quote out of it...seems that maybe I also have a coil pack problem

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=coil+pack

Originally Posted by Jagin
My final conclusion: The #3 coil pack was bad.

I pulled all the brand new Bosch plugs and found burn marks on the #3 plug again. I tested all the coil packs for resistance, but they all checked out fine. But the #3 coil boot looked discolored compared to the other two. So, I labeled the plugs and coils with their original position and reinstalled them in different cylinders. After 3 days of driving, the plug under the #3 coil showed burn marks again.

I replaced the #3 coil pack and installed 6 new Denso plugs from my local Toyota dealer ($115 total) and she's run great ever since.

Props to <96 Runner> for calling it out right away. Thanks everyone for your input.
also found this thread which may point to plug wires...

wow, and this other thread....this is EXACTLY what my truck is doing
Hi I’m new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some help from the tech's here. I have read some of the forums and have tried to gather some information on the problem........

Ag4Runner......4runners post

"Lets start of with some info:
I have a 96 4Runner V6 Limited 4x4
I noticed after getting a new tank of gas that my car was driving I little different. It would hesitate off the line and would stutter sometimes around 40 - 50 mph. Then my orange check engine light came on a few days ago. I went to AutoZone to have the code checked and they told me it was a P0303, which they told me that the PCM has determined that a misfire has occurred in cylinder #3. I have also noticed a puttering noise coming from I think is the exhaust. When I'm at idle the car will sometimes stutter and the rpm will jump around from 800 - 1100. I thought it might be the gas so I tried putting a fuel and injector cleaner into the gas and topped it off with Exxon supreme. But for now I still have the same problem but it is not as bad after putting in the injector cleaner.

I purchased the car used about 2 years ago with 140,000 miles on it. Right now it has 170,000 miles and I really don't know the maintenance history on the car. I hope that this is enough info, please let me know what I should do next. Thanks in advance from a newbie....

Peace"

Yotatech.com is da bomb yo!

Last edited by BOSTON4RUNNER; 03-14-2005 at 05:54 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:17 AM

leaving for Costa Rica

bye everyone!!!!

be back soon, and will post information on how the coil pack replacement goes

I am going to replace all three of them

regards, Tim
Old 03-15-2005, 09:19 AM
lee
Contributing Member

have fun man.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BOSTON4RUNNER
found this thread,,,grabbed the quote out of it...seems that maybe I also have a coil pack problem

also found this thread which may point to plug wires...

wow, and this other thread....this is EXACTLY what my truck is doing
Hi I’m new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some help from the tech's here. I have read some of the forums and have tried to gather some information on the problem........

Ag4Runner......4runners post

"Lets start of with some info:
I have a 96 4Runner V6 Limited 4x4
I noticed after getting a new tank of gas that my car was driving I little different. It would hesitate off the line and would stutter sometimes around 40 - 50 mph. Then my orange check engine light came on a few days ago. I went to AutoZone to have the code checked and they told me it was a P0303, which they told me that the PCM has determined that a misfire has occurred in cylinder #3. I have also noticed a puttering noise coming from I think is the exhaust. When I'm at idle the car will sometimes stutter and the rpm will jump around from 800 - 1100. I thought it might be the gas so I tried putting a fuel and injector cleaner into the gas and topped it off with Exxon supreme. But for now I still have the same problem but it is not as bad after putting in the injector cleaner.

I purchased the car used about 2 years ago with 140,000 miles on it. Right now it has 170,000 miles and I really don't know the maintenance history on the car. I hope that this is enough info, please let me know what I should do next. Thanks in advance from a newbie....

Peace"

Yotatech.com is da bomb yo!
I am not sure that just replacing the coil packs will do the trick but test them first.
If the coil packs don't do the trick, might want to check this thread out too:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ight=idle+jump
Old 03-25-2005, 12:18 PM

ill read that thread, hope to pick up coil packs tomorrow....my truck def seems to have the putting out the exhaust, slight skip that is mentioned prior in this post, that others experienced and corrected once they replaced the coil packs...

thanks, tim

Last edited by BOSTON4RUNNER; 03-25-2005 at 12:21 PM.