Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Good price for a brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, the berrings need not be touched when only replacing the pads. However if you have high miles on your auto and have never touched the wheel bearings its a good idea to check them out! Espeshally if they are used off road alot or in deep water! When one removes the hub to have the rotors turned it is a great idea to replce the berrings then!

Yes you can just change the pads. Just rember that if the rotors are too worn give them atention now or pay for them later! The last brakes I put on my truck were installed w/o turning the rotors!

_travis
Old 02-11-2003, 01:28 PM

without causing too much damage to your nuts!
You just gotta decide how much pain your willin to take

If the bearings have gone more tha 40k miles, you might want to look at them. I let mine go a little overdue and started pitting one so I had to replace it a few months ago.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by supascout
[B]... And yes the 52mm socket is the best way to go, but done properly the chisel method will snug the bearings down nicely without causing too much damage to your nuts! ...
The last time I checked it was a 54mm socket.

No need to touch the bearings if only changing pads. (unless you think there is a problem -- you will probably be able to tell if there is a problem when you have the wheel lifted from the ground and you turn it by hand (grinding))

so its best to go get toyota OE pads and put them on myself?
I don't think this will ever be agreed upon. Some prefer OE, some prefer TRD, some prefer PF... The safe choice is OE, but you are not going to get a warranty, especially doing the job yourself, and you will pay more up front, and when you need to replace them. With aftermarket pads, as long as they don't damage your rotors, you will save money up front and in the long run.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:21 PM

brake job

I won't say what's best,OEM or aftermarket,but changing your front pads is very easy.Just remember,do one side at a time.That way you have a reference to go by if you think you made a mistake.There's a lot of good websites that'll show you step by step instructions on how to do it.You'll save a ton of money doing these simple repairs yourself.I just did my first complete rear brake job on my 87' 4runner with no problems.All with basic hand tools.Now,about the front rotors,just pull the front wheels off and take a look.I don't know what else to use as a description so here goes.If the rotor looks like the playable side of a cd,then its ok.But if that cd has any deep scatches or gouges,its bad.If its bad,I'd check the thickness to make sure it could be turned and stay in spec.If you've owned this truck since new,you know whether or not they've been turned before.If in doubt,put new ones on,then you know their ok.I can't help on the bearings,I've never replaced them myself.Hope this little bit helps.good luck