YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Engine and Tranny Swap (together)

I'm sorry if I'm missing a thread but after searching I can't find anything regarding the question that follows. I recently purchased a 1996 SR5 5VZ/Auto. The tranny is shot and there are 235k miles on the original engine. I happened to stumble across an identical truck w/175k that has been wrecked for next to nothing and was considering buying that one in order to swap both the engine and transmission. It also has a lot of other parts that would make swapping into mine and then parting out the second vehicle very enticing price and convenience wise.

My question is, can I pull the engine and tranny as a single unit? I've done this before with my 81 camaro and a couple of old trucks but this transmission is massive and I don't know if you can get it all out in one piece. I plan on swapping the radiator while I'm at it and tearing down the front end isn't a problem but I don't know if I'll be able to clear the radiator mount. I've got a mechanic buddy that is willing to help me do the wrenching but he doesn't think we can squeeze it out so I thought I'd come here and ask. Thanks in advance.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
@ftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #2

I think you'll need to seperate the transfer case off the back of the trans, but other than that and pulling the rad (more for it's own protection) I believe you can pull them up and out together.
niall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

I really hope that's the case. I'm almost resigned to just swapping the trans out at this point and pulling the motor from the donor to do a top end rebuild on it while I part out the rest of the donor vehicle... after I pull the parts I need. Even so, I'd much rather prefer to pull it as one unit and swap it right out. I can always do the top end 40-50k down the road when I'm not sitting around with two extra vehicles in the driveway.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Send a message via MSN to Texas_Ace Send a message via Yahoo to Texas_Ace
You can in theory but you might have a problem getting the engine/tranny high enough with normal engine lifts.

2000 Toyota 4runner Limited 3.4l V6 Auto SUPERCHARGED, Removed URD 7th & Added Coolingmist Meth injection kit, 2.0" Pulley, Doug Thorley Headers - My truck - My Youtube with lots more

All the Mods that can be done to 3rd Gens Thread

My thoughts on Gun control summed up nice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdstud212001 View Post
Guns kill people like spoons make people fat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare44 View Post
Im a firm believer in the saying "If you outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have them"
“Criminals love gun control; it makes their jobs safer.”
Texas_Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #5

I tried to get the engine and trans out in one piece on my 01 tacoma 4x4 and was a failure. The height of the truck and the lift of the normal engine crane make it impossible. There may be a trick to it but you will probably have less aggravation if you drop trans them lift engine
johntnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies. Turns out the donor truck was a complete bust and in terrible shape all around so I passed there. I dropped the pan on my transmission and after washing almost a half inch of mud out of the pan and cycling 20 new quarts of fluid through it it seems to be running fine. It'll probably crap out in the near future but for now it's alright. Hopefully I can make it last a few months. My brother is in the process of building a new shop and has everything I'll need for a proper swap once he's finished. That way I'm not pulling everything out in my driveway.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:59 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
dropping, motor, tranny, yotatech