Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Electrical Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Gremlin

The wife has been driving the Runner lately and told me the power windows and power door locks stopped working. I tested them, and sure enough, nothing works from the inside. However, with the RS3000 installed, the truck still locks up and alarm still sets. Also, the rear door power window doesn't work when the button is pressed- but the window will lower when using the key in the tailgate.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Checked all fuses under hood and at driver's kick panel - any other fuse blocks?

The only thing I'm thinking it could be would be the relay behind the kick panel has gone bad. Whenever I think it's something complicated, though, it's something SIMPLE! Let me know if you have any ideas while I head out to troubleshoot.

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You said you checked the fuses. Did you put a meter across them? Some times the fuses will look ok but will still be open. It may be possible that you have an open some where else. Using the key I beleive is a direct connection to the switch where the button on the center console is a "remote" of sorts.

Have you done any mods in the dash area? Installed something like a new radio or something else? Sometimes doing other work can disconnect a wire needed for something else. If you can find a wiring diagram for the circuits in question, look to see what is common between them such as a fuse, gorund or power wire. These are all possibles. Good luck, I hate electrical problems!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:56 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why i don't just listen to my own advice to begin with, i will never know!

EASY FIX! with the power windows, power door locks and rear power window not working, i thought it would be the relay, or fuse (first thought).

BUT- scott finally pulled the door panel off the driver's door, and found the friggin' wiring harness for the windows and locks unplugged! i did unplug them about 8 months ago to troubleshoot a faulty passenger window switch (turned out there was dirt in the switch), and i guess after 8 month's use it wiggled itself out of the connector! WEIRD, and simple, as i guessed first.

just putting all the text in for another google searcher to find the easy fix to such a weird problem. thanks for the input ritz!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
... i did unplug them about 8 months ago to troubleshoot a faulty passenger window switch (turned out there was dirt in the switch), and i guess after 8 month's use it wiggled itself out of the connector! WEIRD, and simple, as i guessed first.

just putting all the text in for another google searcher to find the easy fix to such a weird problem. thanks for the input ritz!
Glad you got it fixed, like I said ... I HATE electrical problems! But the really nice thing, you feel really good when you finally do figure it out, even if it is a simple fix!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is very nice of you to admit what the problem was, so that others can learn from it.

I know I appreciate it because I hate all these dangling threads that never seem to get "solved".