YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-2003, 05:59 AM   #1
Ant
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Dual exhaust? What's the advantage vs single

Is it just a cosmetic thing or is there a performance gain from having dual vs single?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 AM   #2
Contributing Member

A little less backpressure but would be more of an advantage on a boosted engine otherwise the performance gain on an NA motor might be cancelled out by the extra weight of the extra piping.
X-AWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:08 AM   #3
Ant
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally posted by X-AWDriver
A little less backpressure but would be more of an advantage on a boosted engine otherwise the performance gain on an NA motor might be cancelled out by the extra weight of the extra piping.
So keeping mine single (6cyl) would be the best way to go? I'm having a Flowmaster installed tomorrow and am trying to decide single vs dual.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:17 AM   #4
Sponsoring Member
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

A couple of folks here have done the dual setup, but it can be a pain on our trucks because of the spare being there. A lot of times it'll boil down to how much work the shop wants to do with getting things bent and routed.

I wanted to go dual, but I let the shop talk me out of it. I ended up just going with a single 3" pipe coming out of the muffler and ended up quite happy.
'96 4Runner Limited S/C MI - 370cc injectors, Air! horns, Airaid MIT, ATS A-arms, 285/75/R16 BFG MTs, Bored TB, Brembo slotted, Cobra 75 WXST, Deckplate, Downey headers, Hayden cooler, IPT valve body, Level 10 torque convertor, Meanstreak exhaust, OME/OME rears, On-board PC (XM, Nav, WiFi, etc), Port 'n Polish, Remote Start, SAW fronts, Hilux console, SMT-5, Stubb's sliders, Supra MAF, TJM-17, 2.0" pulley, Viair 450c, Walbro 190, Weasy2k cams
midiwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:23 AM   #5
Contributing Member

Exhaust is a very tricky thing to tune on NA motors. Go too big, and you lose power (especially in the low end). Stay with stock on a semi-built motor, and lose your performance potential.

A common misconception is that bigger piping with little or no backpressure is best. Wrong.

Exhaust can have the same effect as headers, which is properly scavenging exhaust gasses. So on a NA 5VZ I recommend staying with the stock pipe diameter, and going with a nice high flow muffler. Dual exhaust is mostly cosmetic, especially if it is post muffler (one in two out). Proper tuning is crucial.

Now if you are Turbo'd, throw everything I said out the window.

SC'd is also finicky. You want some backpress with a SC on the 5VZ.
rimpainter.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 06:49 AM   #6
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Jason B Send a message via Yahoo to Jason B
Then go single and have a dummy pipe put on the other side like I did:

Click the image to open in full size.

More pics and sounds of exhaust on my page.
My 4Runner Website
Email: jason@burtmanindustries.com
Live Chat/Message Board: http://get.to/jasonforum
AOL/AIM: JNB133
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:04 AM   #7

Ok, I think we have to be more specific. Are we talking about a TRUE dual exhaust from the each cylinder bank or just a muffler with two outlets???

IMO, a true dual exaust with a pipe between the two to equalize the pressure would be the best setup. I don't see how a muffler with one inlet and two outlet would be better than one outlet.

On a s/c engine, trd headers seem small since I think the size is intended to match the stock 2 1/4 cat... better suited for a n/a engine. I would love to design my own crossover with downey's that would get in a complete 3 inch cat/muffler/ tailpipe . We need a O2 simulator that would prevent any codes. Haven't heard of one Sim that works yet...

2000 s/c'ed Tacoma, w/fuel mods
future Mods : SMT6 or Other

Last edited by juicyfruity; 09-26-2003 at 07:07 AM.
juicyfruity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:26 AM   #8
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason B
Then go single and have a dummy pipe put on the other side like I did:

More pics and sounds of exhaust on my page.
A dummy pipe? Boy,if you were on a car board you would get a heap of ˟˟˟˟.

"Rice,rice baby"
X-AWDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 07:42 AM   #9
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to Jason B Send a message via Yahoo to Jason B
That's why I love this board. People are mature on here, or maybe it's just the character of 4runner owners.

The only reason it's a dummy is because I didn't want to remove my spare tire. The shop here would not do it without removing the spare. Others have tried on 3rd gens to run duals and get metal to metal clanking when hitting bumps - no room, with spare in place. It was all planned to have two pipes, and after it didn't fit, my guy held up the 2nd and it looked so damn good it had to stay. This is one of my favorite mods and it gives a great balance on a 3rd gen with a hitch.

A customer of mine who did the same exact setup here:

My 4Runner Website
Email: jason@burtmanindustries.com
Live Chat/Message Board: http://get.to/jasonforum
AOL/AIM: JNB133

Last edited by Jason B; 09-26-2003 at 07:45 AM.
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM   #10
Ant
Threadstarter [OP]

Quote:
Originally posted by juicyfruity
Ok, I think we have to be more specific. Are we talking about a TRUE dual exhaust from the each cylinder bank or just a muffler with two outlets???

IMO, a true dual exaust with a pipe between the two to equalize the pressure would be the best setup. I don't see how a muffler with one inlet and two outlet would be better than one outlet.

On a s/c engine, trd headers seem small since I think the size is intended to match the stock 2 1/4 cat... better suited for a n/a engine. I would love to design my own crossover with downey's that would get in a complete 3 inch cat/muffler/ tailpipe . We need a O2 simulator that would prevent any codes. Haven't heard of one Sim that works yet...
a muffler with 2 outlets
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
12, advantage, advantages, advatage, big, compared, dual, dualexhaust, exhaust, exhausts, exshaust, inch, lose, performance, single