Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cornfed Spacers - Couple Of Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cornfed Spacers - Couple Of Questions.

Well guys I have been thinking about lifting my rig for awhile now and I have a couple of questions about the Cornfed spacers. I was thinking of going with 2.5in spacers all around, but its a looks like I have to go 1-2in spacers, just went outside and measured the max I can go without having any problems entering my garage.

1.What are the disadvantages and advantages of spacers?

2. Is it going to affect the handling and characteristics of the vehicle?

3. Is it going to cause problems in the long run?

4. I used the search and found one article saying that its going to damage your CV. Is this true?

5. How difficult is the install?

Thanks

Last edited by Vato Loco; 10-12-2003 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:13 PM

TTT
Old 10-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What springs do you have on now, stock? If so, then if you put on spacers that are too large then you may get premature sag if you routinely cycle your suspension through their entire travel. Stock springs aren't designed to be compressed more than 50% of their length.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:38 PM

If you add spacers it will indeed put more stress on your CV's. That can easily be fixed with the Revtek differential drop kit though. If you don't want to mess with your suspension do the body lift. It might make the suspension a bit stiffer, but since you are higher up as well you will have more body roll. The install is tricky/difficult I would say, but it can be done. I did it myself, it takes some figuring out though. And time of course, especially for the fronts.

Zach
Old 10-12-2003, 02:55 PM

hmm...sounds like the spacers are not good with the stock components. What would you guys recommend for a 1-2 inch lift?
Old 10-12-2003, 04:02 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think spacers have there place (cost less) since I went that route myself. I will say since my truck sees more pavement than anything else and I did it for looks and ability to add 285's. I went with Revtek but soon after replaced the rears with OEM just didn't think the rear Revtek spacers added the same hight as the fronts, now It looks right. So thats the only suggestion I would make, maybe front spacers and OME rear springs. I will also say it handles much better since everything seems to stiffen up after the install.
Install is pretty easy if you ask me fronts were the hardest parts but a good spring compressor and air tools makes for quick install. You may also consider new springs if you have not replaced them yet since you have it all apart. I had bilsteins on already so I left them in.
I say also you may consider CV angle issues (get diff drops for sure), cost you pay for a lift so you may want to stay under 3" I just busted one this weekend and I have 3" up front.

Well Good Luck on your choice.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:17 PM

Re: Cornfed Spacers - Couple Of Questions.

Originally posted by Vato Loco
2. Is it going to affect the handling and characteristics of the vehicle?
Aside from being slightly stiffer up front, you will notice no difference in ride quality, because you'll be using the same springs. You might notice slightly more body roll, but not much at all.
3. Is it going to cause problems in the long run?
Nope, just make sure you do the diff drop, and don't go above 2.5" up front.
4. I used the search and found one article saying that its going to damage your CV. Is this true?
Of course it's worse than stock, but detroy them no. Most people have had very little trouble raising their trucks no more than 2.5" in combination with the diff drop.[quote]5. How difficult is the install?The rear is a walk in the park, and the front is a slight pain, but doable.

If you want to see my setup search for "My lift has begun", and you'll see what my setup is. It's basically what you are looking to do. In addition, David at Cornfed will custom make the spacers for you if you request it.

Chris
Old 10-13-2003, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

if you want a similar to stock ride quality, get spacers and some OME shocks and keep the stock springs.

the Revtek diff drop is a good thing to have, but it will not prevent CV damage. i think everyone is convinced this is a "vaccine" for preventing CV damage, BUT ITS NOT.

CVs break, its life and a diff drop will not a make a difference. the diff drop helps with CV boot wear and tear, but not the CV axle.

if youre looking for a good lift for looks but no more than 2", look into the Performance Products proggessive coils and Bilstein shocks. expect about 1.5" of lift from these and a stiffer, but more controlling ride quality.

try a search on these names, also theres some springs and spacers for sale in the For Sale forum.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:00 AM
Banned

Here's my interpretation of the installation... Any other pointers or suggestions are welcomed - please. Also, post any pics you have of the installation. I did a search but didn't find any tech writeups.

The rears are VERY easy. You just jack up the truck, remove the lower bolt holding the shock on and disconnect the sway bar. This should allow enough axle droop for you to be able to put the spacer on top of the coils.

For the front, you have to disconnect the shock and swaybar endlinks also, but you then have to remove the nuts on the top of the shock in order to get the coilpack out. Once out, you have to use a spring compressor and compress the spring off the upper mount. You can then undo the nut holding the upper plate on and install the spacer. I think you have to get some longer bolts here as well.

In order to reinstall, remove the coil compressor and reverse the steps.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:45 AM
Banned

Anyone have any pics or anything else to add to my description?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by bamachem
Anyone have any pics or anything else to add to my description?
http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/front.html

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/rear.html
Old 10-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Banned

thanks Ryan.