Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

coil - spring conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Gee, I wonder who you ripped all those ideas off from ???

:pat: :pat: :pat: :pat: :pat:

steve is my idol!!!

im getting Yokos tomorrow
Old 02-18-2004, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
Well, I guess I am working on the bottom of the list now. I should have both of those within the next couple of weeks. And number 2 on Steve's hit list might change if I ever get the parts together to try something different (yes, I still need to talk to you Steve).

Are you sure the important stuff is usually the items you can't see? I was thinking about chroming my AZ skidplate for some additional bling factor.

SteveO: I can't believe how tall your Runner has gotten. So when are you going to do the SAS?
I'm hoping to gather enough parts within a couple of years. That would definitly make is a more capable rig. The one weak spot about the IFS, IMHO, are the ball joints. I'm going to order an extra one to have with me, in case one fails on the trail. They seem to really get beat up on any lifted rig. The ones I got from Breezy (still attached to the pro-comp spacer) were beat to hell. Breezy stated that he took it easy and didn't really wheel that much, but I the ball joints were telling a different story.

TALL, yes, it has gotten nearly scary tall. I called All-pro yesterday and talked to Eric about trying to bring it down a bit. I'm gonna remove the bottom leaf to start off with, and then flex it a bit with weight in the back to see how it sits. I really want to bring the front end down a bit (make the coils softer) and have the Runner sit level. I guess I'm at the fine tuning stage of it. None, the less, I need bigger meats to fill the wheel wells gain some ground clearance. Actually, moving the shocks to the top side of the axle really helped with ground clearance, as well as removing the lower control arm mounts.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SteveO
TALL, yes, it has gotten nearly scary tall.
Starting to see the beauty in me fitting 315's with 2" of suspension lift. Frame, engine, drivetrain is still low. Body is only 1" higher. Winch, Rear Bumper and Spare tire are all all low as well. You'll roll long before I do, but you have alot more center clearnace.

I have 2 pairs of Chevys in the Garage, that is not a good thing, usually parts I have hanging around have a habit of getting installed, even if I don't intend to. I do need to order some Genuine GM parts.

FYI- In comparison the Chevy 1500 springs and the FJ-62 stock springs. There is no comparison. I don't need to order and Genuine Toyota parts to have those springs be perfect, they still are. The plastic GM friction plates are cracked.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Starting to see the beauty in me fitting 315's with 2" of suspension lift. Frame, engine, drivetrain is still low. Body is only 1" higher. Winch, Rear Bumper and Spare tire are all all low as well. You'll roll long before I do, but you have alot more center clearnace.

I have 2 pairs of Chevys in the Garage, that is not a good thing, usually parts I have hanging around have a habit of getting installed, even if I don't intend to. I do need to order some Genuine GM parts.

FYI- In comparison the Chevy 1500 springs and the FJ-62 stock springs. There is no comparison. I don't need to order and Genuine Toyota parts to have those springs be perfect, they still are. The plastic GM friction plates are cracked.
2" of suspension lift and stuffing 34.5" tires. I supposed you are stopping the suspension from compressing with bumpstops. I have yet to see any good pictures of your vehicle flexing. I havn't found any on your site, or rather they are from a distance. LETS SEE SOME ACTION SHOTS.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

2" of suspension lift and stuffing 34.5" tires. I supposed you are stopping the suspension from compressing with bumpstops. I have yet to see any good pictures of your vehicle flexing. I havn't found any on your site, or rather they are from a distance. LETS SEE SOME ACTION SHOTS.
Front fenders are cut, the sheet metal is cut, but basically it's the same old thing everyone else can do with the 285's. Rear is the same old same old.

You don't seem to take into account that I did not "really" change the suspension, I basically clearanced the 315's you jacked it up. I'll never get flex like that, but I'm also alot lower to the ground with the exact same under axle clearance.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Front fenders are cut, the sheet metal is cut, but basically it's the same old thing everyone else can do with the 285's. Rear is the same old same old.

You don't seem to take into account that I did not "really" change the suspension, I basically clearanced the 315's you jacked it up. I'll never get flex like that, but I'm also alot lower to the ground with the exact same under axle clearance.

Not entirely the same, I now have around 2' under my gas tank, and I have nothing under my rear axle. The shocks not sit on top of the rear axle, instead of hanging under them. where the rear contorl arms used to attach to the rear axle....its all smooth axle now.
Old 02-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Not entirely the same, I now have around 2' under my gas tank, and I have nothing under my rear axle. The shocks not sit on top of the rear axle, instead of hanging under them. where the rear contorl arms used to attach to the rear axle....its all smooth axle now.
You know the bottom drain plug is really the only thing that ever hangs up.

There is noting impressive a bout my flex, I have all stock parts just bumped up a bit. You have to install new components like your rear springs, which are probably a better chise for a 3rd Gen than the Chevys because I measured it out and those things are going to stick out past the end of the frame.

The Pro Comp is what it is. I installed one on a 92 Mini last weekend, Whatever. That truck will get a SA within the year anyway.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

You know the bottom drain plug is really the only thing that ever hangs up.

There is noting impressive a bout my flex, I have all stock parts just bumped up a bit. You have to install new components like your rear springs, which are probably a better chise for a 3rd Gen than the Chevys because I measured it out and those things are going to stick out past the end of the frame.

The Pro Comp is what it is. I installed one on a 92 Mini last weekend, Whatever. That truck will get a SA within the year anyway.
Indeed, the Pro Comp is just what it is, not all that great, but a little bit of height gained. A SAS, now that would really make the 4Runner a crawler.
Old 02-18-2004, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

The one weak spot about the IFS, IMHO, are the ball joints. I'm going to order an extra one to have with me, in case one fails on the trail. They seem to really get beat up on any lifted rig. The ones I got from Breezy (still attached to the pro-comp spacer) were beat to hell. Breezy stated that he took it easy and didn't really wheel that much, but I the ball joints were telling a different story.
I've got a pair that came off my rig when I did my suspension, they are in great shape. Never beaten on and I was very careful when I removed them, if you can make it to the Jambo, I'll bring them for you..... free of course.