Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

clutch pedal sticks. wd40? grease? or something more?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch pedal sticks. wd40? grease? or something more?

when i compress my clutch pedal sometimes it sticks almost to the floor but the engine doesnt rev and drives like it should with the pedal all the way out. it this something that maybe mechanically just needs to be lubed or is it further into the transmission? i looked underneath and it does look a little grimey so i will clean it to see what happens but i just want to hear what someone with more knowledge might know.

Thanks
KCCO
Old 06-05-2013, 03:33 PM

You probably need more then lube (clutch master cylinder,slave cylinder, new clutch)if the pedals on the floor you shouldn't be able the move the truck with the engine
Old 06-05-2013, 03:43 PM

yeah but thats what makes me not worry too bad. the clutch is pretty new and the truck drives as it should i just have to pull the pedal out with my foot when it sticks and there is no vibrations or jerky movement (as if it was engaging or disengaging) when done.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 PM

Check for leaks If the clutch is new I definitely think its the master slave or the line in between. Cause if the pedal is down then the slave should still be holdin the clutch out. Only other thing I can think of is, the pedal is coming off of the master's rod thingy
Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM

Check and make sure clutch fluid is full. If it is empty or close to it, I'd assume a tarnished fluid line or a bad slave cylinder. If your fluid is good, and I believe it will be, then it is likely your master cylinder. My truck had the exact same issues yours is having and was remedied perfectly by a new MC. Whatever it is, make sure to get OEM or comparable parts.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 AM

UPDATE:

Clutch pedal falls to the floor when applying the brakes in 1st and 2nd gear (most noticably). the pedal does not come to fully extended when releasing after a shift into new gear.

Bled the clutch, replaced the slave cylinder, bled it again. Still having the same issue. I looked at a chilton manual and discovered a return spring from the pedal to a point under the dash was missing. i was also told the brake booster was stealing the vacuum from the clutch. is this a part of the system or would the return spring solve all these problems?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 466 Likes on 312 Posts
Do a search on the clutch pedal spring mod for an alternative to the oe version while you're at it. Having replaced said oe spring (sagging pedal, but only enough to keep the cruise control from working), if I've got to do it again I'm trying the mod instead.

Couple o' pics and post 2 alludes to the mod I speak of:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...s-look-196220/

If you have something like a 2nd gen 4Runner (you don't say) look into clutch pedal bracket problems.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:30 PM

I appreciate it but the spring im looking for is different from the tension spring in the link you provided. its a long spring that attaches from the pedal where the master cylinder connects and the second point is up further in the dash to what looks like a part of the dash support structure. its a 1998 taco btw.

Im having issues even finding the part online or at auto stores. any suggestions? im probably just going to try and find a truck being parted out on craigslist.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:47 PM

There are bushings on the clutch pedal that get worn out and keep the pedal front returning. Just do a search on it.... lots of info out there.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xombiekiller42
I appreciate it but the spring im looking for is different from the tension spring in the link you provided. its a long spring that attaches from the pedal where the master cylinder connects and the second point is up further in the dash to what looks like a part of the dash support structure. its a 1998 taco btw.

Im having issues even finding the part online or at auto stores. any suggestions? im probably just going to try and find a truck being parted out on craigslist.
The brake pedal return spring? Find something similar at Ace or somewhere and use that?

I'll quit cluttering up your thread now. If anything, here's a bump for you.

Last edited by habanero; 07-07-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 PM

its cool man you can post however much you feel. im getting so frustrated with this thing...and its gotten worse. the pedal isnt just falling to the floor. its being suck down with some force like there is a vacuum thats pulling it in. im planning on replacing the master cylinder this weekend but worried that i might need a new clutch. only thing is the last clutch that went out on me this never happened. is the brake booster a part of this system and maybe the brakes are stealing some of the vacuum? im lost right now....
Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks....I'm pretty newbish at this stuff......the clutch is a hydraulic system, I can't think of anywhere there's vacuum involved. You're replacing the clutch master or the brake master? There's also a clutch slave. I guess you haven't found a leak and/or aren't out/low on fluid.

So....bump again! C'mon somebody with a lot more know than me...

And same here on the two clutches I've replaced and the one coming up soon, no issue with the pedal sinking to the floor. Had a sunk pedal once but it wasn't sucking to the floor on its own, just when pressed it wouldn't come back up, a big leak caused that one.

Last edited by habanero; 07-11-2013 at 06:16 PM.