Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Clutch pedal assembly / master cylinder replacement part woes (faulty parts? pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch pedal assembly / master cylinder replacement part woes (faulty parts? pics)

Hi dudes and dudettes, this is my first post, and I've searched on the subject so I hope I'm not asking a question that has been answered somewhere else.

A little background first, 96 4runner 5 spd manual with 137,000 km on it, my problem occurred when I was driving downtown I noticed my clutch freeplay was out of wack, no worries, take a look at it when I get home, so I got to the tire store, got my quote, and started back home, I was switching from 1st to 2nd and all of a sudden the clutch pedal goes SHABANG and goes right to the floor and generally feels effed up. I dont remember if there was a lot of resistance or whatever because I was in busy traffic and had a bit of an oh ลลลล moment...basically the clutch pedal wouldnt return without me pulling it back with my toe and then it would actuate again.

long story short ( sorry already) I replaced the clutch slave cylinder because on removal it seemed crunked up and chunky, but that didnt fix it. So I removed the master cylinder and took a peek at it, inside I found a galling mark and a little metal sliver but everything else seemed ok so I put 'er all back together and hoped that fluid wouldnt bypass the gall mark... It worked for about an hour of driving but I had ordered a new MC and on the way to pick it up it started not returning again.

Anyway, I noticed on the new MC assembly that the rod connecting the pushrod connector bit and the piston is about 3/16th shorter than the original rod, and the push rod connector bit (pictured below) is also about 1/8th" shorter than the original piece.

FINALLY, the question that its taken me six paragraphs to get to, here is a shot of the pushrod connector piece, and I think that how it connects to the pedal is out of wack with how the play in the connector is aligned - the original piece is 100% laser straight in line with the play, and this one is aligned at say 2:30, rather than 12 o clock, which makes the pedal feel totally out of wack and crappy. So I put the old one in and it feels good, badaboom. Asked at the auto parts store if this was wrong and the guy said nope it looks good, shouldnt matter - so I want to be able to say I talked to some experienced mechanic technician guys (you dudes) and yea, the part is misaligned and should be replaced.

thanks for reading alll this, damn im long winded.

peace, and thanks for any responses,
matt

Last edited by ROBOTSWEAT; 10-06-2006 at 01:39 PM. Reason: add a picature
Old 10-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Maj

I'm confused as to what you have actually done. The assembly that connects the clutch pedal to the rod is normally referred to as the clevis. It sounds like you reused your old clevis and rod with the new clutch mc. As long as you did not swap out any internal mc components and have adjusted it to factory spec you should be fine.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:57 PM

yes, basically i reused the old clevis, in place of the new one pictured above which I am curious if it is faulty because of the weird alignment of the clevis play in relation to the tabs that slide over the clutch pedal.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced my master in my 02 .. there are 2 listed they look simular..but are quite different .. I went to toyota and bought the correct one.It was expensive.
I found later on the net the same master for about 1/3 the price..