Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Carb problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb problems

My 85 22R is gaining volume in the oil pan. Normally I use a quart about every 2000 miles, but now I am gaining. The dipstick smells like gasoline. When parked the fuel level is normal in the fuel level window. However a couple of hours later the bowl looks empty. Where is the gasoline leaking from? Is it like the old Quadrajets where the fuel wells leaked and had to be repaired? Or is it like an old Holley power valve that used to leak? Any advice would be appreciated. I just need to know where to look for problems when I tear into the carb.

Thanks,
whitesell7
Old 02-14-2004, 11:12 PM

Sorry to here about your problems.

A search on alt.autos.toyota.trucks yielded following diagnosis and
fix: Culprit is leaking Auxiliary Acceleration Pump (AAP) diaphragm,
a very common problem with the 22R pickup's carburetor. Part number
is 21675-35330, around $22 from the dealer.

Gas in the oil is a result of the gas sitting on the piston leaking down the rings into the oil pan.

Last edited by amusement; 02-14-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:28 PM

Thanks for the info, I thought it was something like that, just didn't know what to look for. This is my first look into this carb although I am very familiar a lot of others. Thanks again
whitesell7
Old 02-15-2004, 06:05 AM

Another thing is that the diaphragm in your fuel pump might've ruptured allowing it to drain into your oil pan since it's mounted on the side of the head.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:33 PM

If you allow your car to come up to normal operating temp and you shut it down, then come back 20 or so minutes later, does the car have trouble starting up (flooded condition)?

Mine does that, and my shop said they found gas in the oil, and what was happening was after I shut down the engine, the gas in the carb leaks down into the engine block, than when it has no where to go it eventually leaks down past the pistons, and ends up in the oil. It isn't near as bad as the amount it sounds like you're taking on.

I will have to look at maybe getting that diaphragm amusement pointed out. I wonder how hard it is to replace?
Old 02-15-2004, 09:25 PM

I'll let you know. I have already got the carb kit, I figured after 19 years it was due a good cleaning anyhow. According to the diagram it looks like an external repair, if you can find the diaphragm seperately. The weather looks like it will be in the 50's here on Wednesday, so I'll probably do it then.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whitesell7
I'll let you know. I have already got the carb kit, I figured after 19 years it was due a good cleaning anyhow. According to the diagram it looks like an external repair, if you can find the diaphragm seperately. The weather looks like it will be in the 50's here on Wednesday, so I'll probably do it then.
i want to replace this aap as well, i dont think its leaking, but my truck seems to be dripping oil and the level is the same..... i have a bunch of maintenace stuff i need to do to it as well.... where is the aap diaphram? i have a genuine toyota manual for the gas pickup and 4runner.... its at work right now, but i will try and look for this daprham in diagram form tomorrow
Old 02-19-2004, 02:09 PM

The AAP diaphragm is under the fuel inlet, has 3 screws and faces the valve cover. I just finished putting a kit in my carb and that did the trick, it runs like a Singer Sewing Machine, pulls 25 inches of vacuum. After I took the old diaphragm out and it dried out, you could see "dry rotted" crackes in the rubber. Now I just have to change the oil again. good luck
Old 02-19-2004, 08:38 PM

How hard was the install? Did you have to drain the fuel or anything?

Also, is it to the left of the green electrical plug in this pic:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...74215799HtarFf

Or is the fuel inlet on the left of the pic? I can't remember which of those two hoses was fuel.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:41 AM

Yes the AAP is to the left of the green electrical switch. The fuel line is the line above the green switch and just above the AAP. The AAP cover is round and has 3 screws in it. Was it hard to install? Well that is a relative question. I did the whole carburetor, but the AAP could have easily been done by itself. I have been doing carburetors since 1970 so it was not hard, just make sure you know where each vacuum line goes if you take it off. Gas will drain out of the bowl so put a shop towel or two under there to catch the gas. My choke pull-off diaphragm also gas in it, so I knew I had to replace it also. I got my kit from Advance Auto parts, they were about the cheapest around. It was about $30.00 with tax. Some stores wanted almost $50.00 for the kit. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:37 AM

Sounds good!

Yeah, I know where the vacuum lines go. I replaced the carb 3 times, twice with a holley, then once when I went back to the original.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

having more carb issues..... the cable operation is fine when im on my primary barrel.... however, there is quite a bit of binding when i push the pedal harder and open up the secondary.... i have played under the hood and determined it is the carb itself and not the linkage/cable.... the springs on there seem to be in good condition, it is just very harsh and snappy when i pull the cable or push down the gas harder.... not exactly sure how to describe it...
Old 03-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimabena74
having more carb issues..... the cable operation is fine when im on my primary barrel.... however, there is quite a bit of binding when i push the pedal harder and open up the secondary.... i have played under the hood and determined it is the carb itself and not the linkage/cable.... the springs on there seem to be in good condition, it is just very harsh and snappy when i pull the cable or push down the gas harder.... not exactly sure how to describe it...
anyone know about this?
Old 03-29-2004, 08:21 PM

It could the main linkage return spring or a carb's secondary barrel linkage.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Banned

quess what? it doesnt stick anymore.... the only thing i did was change my plugs and change my fuel filter.... hmmmm..... maybe the spring or whatever just loosened up... also though, i have been running 89 octane midgrade instead of the cheap 87.... maybe the extra octane points helpded clear up the lines or clean up the carb....