Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Broken sway bar links w/ TRD 3rd gen lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken sway bar links w/ TRD 3rd gen lift

In the past three months or so, i've broken two sway bar end-links, one on each side of the vehicle. I've got the OME/TRd lift with the 1" sonoran steel diff drops. The thing that concerns me is that the sway bar end-links are breaking with ordinary street driving, NOT off-road driving. The driver's side end-link busted first, and while I was making a left U-turn. There was a loud BANG and I looked under the truck and the end-link just snapped in half. I replaced it, and then a few months later i look under my truck and notice the passenger side is now broken (it wasn't broken when the driver's side broke). A local shop around here recommended that I visit some off-road retailers and purchase some longer end-links. I have had the OME/TRD lift for over a year before my end-links started breaking. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience this same issue? Before I did the TRD lift on my 4runner, I read several in-dept write ups about the TRD/OME lift, and I saw nothing about needing longer end-links, so maybe I'm just getting unlucky? Also the truck has about 128k miles on it and the end-links that have broken so far were OE, maybe they were just getting old?

Longer end-links or regular oem?

Thanks a ton guys. I need to take my truck on a few long drives soon (as thanksgiving approaches) and I dont have time to spend 3 days researching this topic while going to school full time and then doing the repairs before next weekend. Things like this alwas seem to happen at the worst times! :pat:
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 PM

I ran over a year without the front sway bar on my '96 even while it was lifted and you just kinda get used to the excessive lean. You'll be fine, just take it a little slower than you normally would. I'm sure some people will argue with this and talk about how unsafe it is, but as long as you aren't driving like mario andretti there really isn't much difference than running with a swaybar.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

mine both snapped when i went to take em off to install some wabfab disco's. i think the factory ones are too wimpy and of course short. after my lift, i noticed the links (both front and rear) looked stressed in an uncomfortable position.

put the wabfab disco's up front and no issues aside from the random clunk that's known to happen. they're height adjustable so you can set your sway bar at a proper angle post lift. didnt put the rear links in. will probably do that if/when they snap. but another guy up here has some (sonoran ones i believe?) and said handling has improved.

i say if youve broken 3 already, could be bad luck or something else. if all else is ok front end wise..i'd just go with some disco's or longer end links but im not sure who has em for our application...
Old 11-17-2006, 03:01 PM

well the whole reason I took the truck to the shop was because of my bumpsteer issue that I posted about a while back. It's getting really annoying so I'm trying to get it fixed. But when they looked under my truck and saw that my end-link was broken they said that that could be contributing to the bumpsteer... so they said to get it fixed and then continue taking it to shops. I don't want to fix it with a regular, stock end link and then have the end link break again.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BornChaos
well the whole reason I took the truck to the shop was because of my bumpsteer issue that I posted about a while back. It's getting really annoying so I'm trying to get it fixed. But when they looked under my truck and saw that my end-link was broken they said that that could be contributing to the bumpsteer... so they said to get it fixed and then continue taking it to shops. I don't want to fix it with a regular, stock end link and then have the end link break again.
not to mention they cost a lot of money for a stock part.

get the discos with the poly bushings and you will love life!
Old 11-18-2006, 04:54 PM

I'm going to take your advice. 135$ for disconnects.. im stoked! When my first end-link snapped, i was going to be moving heavy ลลลล in my truck the next day.. it cost me 100 bucks to get 1 end-link replaced (i didnt have time to do it myself). 135 for the discos and ill just do it myself sounds very reasonable. Although looking at the way the end-link is bolted to the bracket has me confused.. how do you get the end-link off?