95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Best way to clean headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to clean headliner?

Hey all,
I'm just wondering what the best way to clean the headliner would be? I've heard people say that I need to be careful as carpet/upholstery cleaner may cause the adhesive on the ceiling to come off. Is this true? Does the 4Runner's ceiling even use adhesive? Would Purple Power be ok to use on it?

Thanks all.
Have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Yes and no. The headliner may be suspended overhead with cross mounted metal dowels, if you feel into the surface you can tell where they are, but the rest is kinda soft. Maybe cushion stuck to the roof, maybe just the surface tension of the fabric.

Feel in there firmly, without risking permamanent stretch marks or dimples. What's in there?
Old 01-17-2003, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh?

I think the 1st and 2nd gen headliners must be different. Mine has the headliner material glued to a hardboard type material that is formed to the shape of the roof. I've heard the same thing about the glue letting go with too much wetness/chemicals. I've heard about the product called "Tuff Stuff" that cleans everything, although I don't know much about it other than it works miracles. Who here uses "Tuff Stuff"? Any insight?
Old 01-17-2003, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

I use Tuff Stuff and it works great for cleaning everything (thanks to Corey) I use it inside the truck on the carpets, seats, and dash. I've used it to clean up linoleum flooring, tile, rugs, etc. My wife saw me using it, tried it and loved it. I had to get a separate bottle just for her. I used to get it in an aerosol can and it came out as a foam. Now I can only find it in a spray bottle, but there doesn't seem to be any difference in terms of cleaning ability.

To clean the headliner, I would spray some Tuff Stuff on a clean cloth or very soft brush and wipe/brush the headliner. Spraying it on directly may cause damage to the headliner--I don't know for sure, but I've cleaned up a few spots with spraying it on a cloth.

Matt
Old 01-17-2003, 10:30 PM

Most all 'modern' headliners are glue on. I've reglued a bunch of them. The old style of sewing a sleeve and hanging up the fabric with wire rods is gone (in the 70's I believe). When you see cars with the headliner hangin', it's never the glue (between the foam backing and the molded board.) It's the factory bond between the fuzzy/smooth fabric and the foam. Heat is a big enemy, gravity too. everything sags with age...richeyma has the right idea. never spray anything directly on the headliner. Use clean white towels, spray cleaner on the towel, and softly wipe. Keep using a clean part of the towel as it picks up the dirt. Don't get the fabric too wet, follow with a dry towel right after to minimize the wetness. there is a thin layer of padding right under that fabric...it will hold moisture in. The less wet you get it, the better.
butnut
Old 01-18-2003, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

The 2nd Gen headliner is not glued to the roof. It's like what Cebby said. It's attached to a formed piece. I had mine apart when I did my footwell lights wiring.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

Ah, ok. Thanks you all. Do I need to worry about the headliner unsticking from that formed piece? How does the formed peice come off?

Got about 3 cans of tuff stuff laying around somewhere. Purple power seems to work better for me, but I'll give tuff stuff another try. I don't want to over do it with purple power. I don't think tuff stuff like me. :confused:

Thanks again.
Have fun all.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Say no to dirt

I use both.
Foam for seats & carpets, but I won't be using it on the Wet Oke's now that I have them.

The spray is for the dash and all the vinyl & plastic.

I have never cleaned my headliner before.

Just use caution like the others mentioned.

Oh, Tuff Stuff is great. I won't ever be trying anything else after finding out about this stuff several years ago.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:12 PM

reviving an old thread... has anyone had luck with tuff stuff cleaning water stains from the headliner by applying it to a towel and cleaning gently? My sunroof is magically missing it's drip pan so i've got a decent amount of staining on the headliner from water that's leaked in.