Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Arb bumper with airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arb bumper with airbags?

Can an ARB bumper be used with aribags. Does the ABR defeat the aribag sensor? I am not sure if I am going to install one, but I want to be sure that my airbags are still functional.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:55 AM

Aftermarket Bumpers are fine with Air Bags. I'm almost positive the air bag sensors are in the fenders and really have nothing to do with the Bumper.

This was taken from another Forum:

"With an air bag equipped vehicle it is essential that the vehicle's crush rate and, therefore, air bag triggering is not altered when a bull bar is fitted.

In a collaboration with Monash university & Autoliv Australia, ARB has invested heavily, and conducted extensive research and testing to determine various methods of mounting bull bars that truly offer vehicle protection without affecting the crush pulse.

To ensure compatibility we assess each vehicle's frontal crush characteristics, then replicate the crush rate into the design of the bull bar & its mounting system. By using this method we achieve maximum possible vehicle protection without affecting the crash pulse.

Some other manufacturers, of plastic & metal, have determined that by making their bull bars soft or weak enough they won't affect the air bag's triggering. Although we doubt the validity of this method, why would you even consider fitting a frontal protection device that offers little or even no protection at all?

ARB has conducted full frontal vehicle barrier crash tests with Autoliv Australia to verify both the air bag triggering & vehicle crumple rate will react as the original vehicle designer intended."

John

Last edited by Mojo_Risin; 01-25-2003 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2003, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

<Can an ARB bumper be used with aribags?>

Yes and no.

If you use the "Tacoma" style bumper, it has "crush cans" that are designed to emulate the way the stock bumper system absorbs impact, thus the bull bar is fully air bag compatible.

If you choose to install the "Prado" bar as so many are, it does not have the crush canisters, which makes the front end more rigid and the airbags more prone to "going off".

The air bags sensors are small, yellow boxes mounted to your frame. They are independant and uneffected by the install of an aftermarket bumper as long as that bumper is certified for use on the vehicle that you are installing it on and is air bag compatible. Look under the hood for a yellow wiring bundle on the fenders, follow it forward and you will see the air bag sensors. This is also a good time to mention that you need to be careful when working around that yellow wire bundle, no cutting or soldering or anything else that might interrupt the integrity of the wiring should be done. That bundle is in the way for those of us who mount compressors on the fender and you must work delicately around it to prevent the air bags from being deployed
Old 01-25-2003, 05:11 PM

i dont like airbags anyways.... they scare me! probably safer than not having any though...
Old 01-25-2003, 07:00 PM

it's a good idea when dicking around with the front of your car, period, to disconnect the battery, then the airbags won't be a problem.
Airbags save my life (and costly medical bills) so I am very pro-airbag.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:59 AM

is there an ARB write up for this or does someone have any details directions?!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:36 AM
MSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to www.arbusa.com and look at the application chart for bumpers. The chart lists which bumpers are air bag approved
Old 12-07-2007, 09:56 AM

i meant is there a write up on how to install the bumper cause i have it sitting at home right now
Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 PM

My buddie wants to mount a home made front bumper to his frame(2000 taco extended cab 3.4 5 speed 4x4), and is thinking about removing his airbag. Is there a way to avoid doing this and not set them off if u hit something with the bumper while your out and about in the desert or 4x4in?

maybe a on and off switch like the passenger side has?

also if he puts rock runners, or sliders under the doors is there a chance hitting them can set the airbag off?

thanks

Last edited by 87toy.; 03-09-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by disassemble
i meant is there a write up on how to install the bumper cause i have it sitting at home right now
Did you buy it used? They come with instructions for installation when new. It is really not a difficult procedure at all, but having an extra set of hands around is really nice if not necessary.
If you bought it used contact sales@arbusa.com. They have always been very helpful with any questions I have. Sometimes it takes a couple of days to get back to you though.