Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Amp and accessory mounting ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp and accessory mounting ...

Where are all of you audiofreaks mounting your amplifiers and other goodies?

Looking in my '99 Runner for a place to mount the brain and nav units, the only places I could imagine are under the front passenger seat -- where wires could become dislodged by rear-seat passengers or by my wife's feet, purse, umbrella, etc. -- or to build a box to mount behind the rear seat, thus losing some precious cargo space.

Any other ideas before I start ripping and tearing ...?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:41 PM

idea...

hmmm - I have a 2nd gen - but I found that under the front seats works pretty well. What I managed to do was put a simple metal bracket along the back of the amp so that if people accidentally kick it or something - they don't actually hit the amp.

As far as other places - when I had the back of it taken apart - there lost of nooks and crannies that you could use.

As far as non-standard locations - I also put a 1 farad capacitor in the passenger footwell (under the carpet of course) - works great and completely hidden. It does require a little bit of an enclosure though since it is in a high traffic area. But it's a thought.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks. When I tear the interior apart, I'll investigate the passenger seat option.

I know some people build boxes for the cargo area, but then you lose the ability to lower the seats and have a flat cargo area.

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:03 PM

U could also mount the amp n stuff on the back side of your rear seats...but the only downfall is that when you lay them down...ittl be in the way..
Old 01-26-2004, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

under driverside seat (passenger has a heater if it has rear heating) mount under rear seats (some modding i think needs to be done) mount to back of seats, mount in rear cubby hole thing with fans to cool them, and finally cut out the rear seats backs and install their for a sleek look
Old 01-26-2004, 03:38 PM

Check out what kind of subs JL is offering in their "stealth box" lineup It might be expensive but worth every penny if you want quality sound, look, and installation. I'm don't know how much you want to spend though

I used to have a 4 door Civic and I had an amp under the passenger seat, and a 10 disc CD changer under the drivers seat. And I never had people break and/or kick any of them, simply because I warned them ahead of time.

Just make sure that your amp is in a well ventillated area, because some amps get so hot, that you could fry eggs on them

Hope that helps
Old 01-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

I bought the stuff expecting to mount it under the rear seats. THEN I lifted them and saw that there's no room there!

The front passenger seat has limited room because of the rear seat heater unit.

The driver's side is a bit limited because of my holster (with its Glock 23, of course.)

I may investigate the innards of the seat backs, but cooling would be a problem.

>sigh<

These darned trucks just don't have enough free space to add goodies! :cry: