Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Am I screwed?

Ok here's the situation. So today I'm helping a friend change her oil and when I pop my hood to show her something, I notice that the pulley for the power steering pump looks like a chauky spin art. Plus one of the lines to the radiator from the a/c compressor is also covered in this white gunk. It has no odor and came off the tube without any effort. I will admit to adding some distilled water to my battery friday and some may have spilled a little but this was a LOT. Could it be something from my A/C compressor?

Anyone ever experience this?
Old 09-01-2003, 07:32 PM

Can you post a picture?

I doubt that spilling distilled water would do anything at all. It is just water, besides, it is no where near the power steering pump.

The pump could be leaking and slinging fluid off of the pulley, but white chalky is not what I would expect it to look like.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 09-02-2003, 12:59 AM
Contributing Member

It sound to me like limescale. I got it from putting ˟˟˟˟ty water in my rad. But if you only put distilled water in, i'm not sure!
Old 09-02-2003, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Gadget and delboy for your quick responses. I was afraid that the white gunk was from my A/C. But it should be my radiator, while I haven't lost any fluid I know I have some pinholes......

Next question, since I had my water pump replaced when they did the timing belt at 63k (the runner is at 95K) should I replace it when I replace the radiator? (I will put in new hoses, belts, t-stat)

I probably put a transmission cooler similar to Robinhood, behind the skidplate.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure an A/C expert could give you a more technical answer, but the only things I've had come out of my A/C system were gas, or a colorless oil.

Here's another 'white gunk' idea...

When I bought my truck it had a leaky thermostat gasket and had a copper colored stain down the side of the t-stat housing.
I took my lazy-a$$ time to fix it and when I popped the bonnet once after a hot day it had sprayed coolant all around the engine bay :pat:
I could actually see the green fluid leaking, but once it dried it left a white residue everywhere - this may be what you're referring too.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Yep HiLux_1990, that's what I think it is... I think my pinholes may become bolt holes if I wait too much longer.

So this leads me to my last question on the white gunk. Do I need to flush the system before I replace the radiator? and what product would be the best? Once it is back together I will be putting in the Redline water wetter.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldnt bother with the pump if it was done so recently, but i would recommend flushing the system. I did mine after i found my white powdery stuff and replaced it with 10 litres of premixed coolant. I'm never putting ordinary water in there again. As well as the drain plug on the rad, mine had a drain plug in the side of the engine block just under the fuel injection pump, which i could never find until i did my body lift and could see through the side. Any way, i'm rambling now!
Good luck