Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Airbox Question!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbox Question!

OK, after reading many articles advocating every possible set-up, I would like to know the forums opinion on whether it is just as advantagious to do the deck plate mod VS. a upgraded intake system.

Also, since I do not do much offroading, would I even have to have the cover plate for the hole in the airbox?

Finally, with so many people saying an upgraded intake drowns a supercharged engine with air, how much does an upgraded fuel pump cost? And does that solve the fuel delivery problem with the supercharger and a high flow system?

THANKS!!
Old 09-16-2002, 04:30 PM

Well.....the stock air box with mod works well. I took my polished Ingen intake off because of fuel starvation with my supercharger. It runs way better with the stock air box and I don't feel like droping alot more money to upgrade my fuel system (about $1200 to do it right) to provide more "premium" fuel into the system. The mod to the air box that worked for me was to just remove the elbow. I did have the front cut out like others have suggested, but living in Arizona, it was letting to much dust and dirt in.

Just my 2 cents...

Paul
Old 09-16-2002, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yoch:

I finally did the airbox "deckplate" mod this weekend (gotta update the sig). It was alot easier than I expected.

One advantage is that its very inexpensive to do. Second, it gives you the opportunity to seal it off, whereas if you did the elbow mod or your intake system (injen), you would just be sucking in water. Now I don't know where you're from, but even if its a remote possibility, its something to consider.

As for the deckplate mod, I really think its the best of both worlds. Sure, it doesn't look as aesthetically pleasing as a K&N/Injen type system, but it does its job well.

Some tips that I think might be useful from my weekend install:

- Offset your cut to the upper left hand corner. If you have it perfectly centered, its a bit more difficult to put the deckplate on b/c of the windshield wiper fluid tube.

- When drawing around the deckplate for your hole cut, use a white pen or some other light colored marker

- Remove the MAF! Then you really don't have to worry about getting plastic shavings in it.

- Get a hole saw thing for your drill. I believe you would need a 4" hole saw. Might be 4.5". I bought a Rotozip bit and it was not as easy or as clean as I expected. Actually, it was a pain b/c everytime it hit the plastic waffle on the back, it would skip and jump. I guess I just don't have steady hands!

- Instead of worrying if I bought the right silly-cone safe sealant, I used a piece of rubber and cut it to shape. I found a square at my local hardware store for a buck, traced the shape, and cut it. Much cheaper than a $5 tube of sealant.

- Wash it out w/ a high pressure hose to get out all the plastic shavings. I went a step further and washed it w/ a soapy brush .

Hope that helps.

Bob
Old 09-17-2002, 03:46 AM

Advantages to the deckplate...
- easy to do, takes about an hour
- very inexpensive, about $20 for deckplate and silicone
- same performance gains as a typical intake system for less time and money

Disadvantages to the deckplate...
- doesn't change your exhaust note

Advantages of intake system...
- good ones will give you a throatier sound

Disadvantages of an intake system...
- expensive, typically between $150-$200
- most air filters are made by or modeled after the K&N filter, which has been shown to have poor filtering capabilities
Old 09-17-2002, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Okay I really want to do this airbox/deckplate mod, can anyone psot the link up here for me. I have a free weekend coming up and would really like to do this mod. Thanks to whoever.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:24 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Stump, look in our Tech section on the index page here.
There are two deck plate mod write-ups in there to guide you through it.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:33 PM

If you get an intake...it makes the supercharger less effective? Can anyone enlighten me on this? I did the deckplate mod..and planned on getting an exaust system w/ intake to boost the HP even more...but down the road...hopefully next year...i'd like to get a supercharger? So what type of ill effects will there be? What would i have to do for maximum performance..?
Old 09-18-2002, 05:13 PM

You won't need the intake with the s/c. Aftermarket intakes dump too much air into your system. (Unless you want to completely upgrade your fuel delivery system).They work great without s/c. Do the deck mod, s/c and exhaust and you'll be set. Believe me....I removed my Ingen intake and put my stock air box back on when I installed my s/c.

Paul