Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Aftermarket Sunroof, Would I be doing a stupid thing?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Sunroof, Would I be doing a stupid thing?

my 01 didnt come with a sunroof and I want one.. yeah its money towards off road mods but right now I cant afford to do my front end conversion just yet and I mise well enjoy it in 2wd locked for the time being with a sunroof too. I'm not totally sure which companies I should look into and I havent checked out the company here in town that does em. I want it to be OEM with switch and stuff. I guess my question is, will this be a problem later down the road, and should I trust an aftermarket place to hack up my roof.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neliconcept
my 01 didnt come with a sunroof and I want one.. yeah its money towards off road mods but right now I cant afford to do my front end conversion just yet and I mise well enjoy it in 2wd locked for the time being with a sunroof too. I'm not totally sure which companies I should look into and I havent checked out the company here in town that does em. I want it to be OEM with switch and stuff. I guess my question is, will this be a problem later down the road, and should I trust an aftermarket place to hack up my roof.
I saw a thread on a fabric sunroof... Yeah i know fabric would suck but it was pretty big, and the mod cost about $500 I think. Personally, if you're comfortable hacking your truck's roof up, I would do it yourself because you'll be sure to try very hard to do it right. For the OEM sunroofs, you'll need a new headliner for some extra space... you might be able to find a cool aftermarket one though. I would go as big as possible, maybe you could find one that almost reached the back seats! I don't know what this would do to body integrity though...

Remember, measure ten times, cut once! Otherwise, well, :pat: you know.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
just make sure its done right the first time dont want to have any leaks
Old 09-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a good thread to check out:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...market+sunroof
Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 AM

I wish the aftermarket "pop up" sunroof (that came with my truck) wasn't there. Drips constantly. Total PIA. I sealed it up completely with silicone, still leaks.
Make sure what ever set up you go with has drain holes.
Good luck
Old 09-19-2006, 07:25 AM
Banned

with all the mods you want to do, its better off you sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd. Saves a lot of time, money and any potential problems you may encounter.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

NO SUNROOF. I have never seen more than two after market sunroofs that didnt leak....EVER. and I have seen a ton
I also have only seen one OEM sunroof (installed after purchase) that didnt leak, so even the OEMs are hard to not make leak, unless the toyota factory cut that hole in the roof for you....I'd let it go, you'll regret it.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
with all the mods you want to do, its better off you sell the 2wd and buy a 4wd. Saves a lot of time, money and any potential problems you may encounter.
I agree. No AM part will have the same fit and finish as OEM parts.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

thanks for all the opinions. Matt its gonna cost more for me to trade in then it would to convert. Ive done the math and its almost 1500 more just to trade in.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go with a reputable sunroof company like American Sunroof Company (ASC), you will not have a problem. Here in California, you'll find plenty of Xtra Cab Tacoma pickups with dealer installed ASC sunroofs. ASC guarantee their sunroofs won't leak, but in one case I heard, you have to have a sunroof shop inspect the sunroof after the second year and if the drain tubes become blocked due to your lack of maintenance, they won't honor the warranty.

I have done quite a bit of research and read the reviews on epinions.com, I will probably be going with an ASC unit.

Ken

EDIT----ARGH there scally wags...today is Pirate Day!

Last edited by paddlenbike; 09-19-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Banned

there are quite a few with aftermarket sunroofs on TTORA, i would search around over there...
Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Changing trucks might be the easier way to go unless you want SAS. OEM sunroofs are nice. No leaks on mine
Old 09-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by neliconcept
thanks for all the opinions. Matt its gonna cost more for me to trade in then it would to convert. Ive done the math and its almost 1500 more just to trade in.
1500 more but you save the time and labor.

Also, you know taht its going to work and have no problems..just my opinion.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

1500 more but you save the time and labor.

Also, you know taht its going to work and have no problems..just my opinion.
I just love my truck to much to trade it in for another inless its the same color, model and 4wd. then I might consider.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by paddlenbike
If you go with a reputable sunroof company like American Sunroof Company (ASC), you will not have a problem. Here in California, you'll find plenty of Xtra Cab Tacoma pickups with dealer installed ASC sunroofs. ASC guarantee their sunroofs won't leak, but in one case I heard, you have to have a sunroof shop inspect the sunroof after the second year and if the drain tubes become blocked due to your lack of maintenance, they won't honor the warranty.

I have done quite a bit of research and read the reviews on epinions.com, I will probably be going with an ASC unit.

Ken

EDIT----ARGH there scally wags...today is Pirate Day!
sorry for the double post. Does ASC provide the sunroofs and install or just sell them out of a certain location and you have it installed elsewhere? Id like to have a slide in type like OEM instead of moonroof type deal
Old 09-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Contributing Member

I'll sell you a roof panel and head liner out of a wrecked 3rd gen. You can have it welded in and re-painted...just like OEM.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there is more to it than just adding the moon roof. you would have to buy a new headliner too. or if you are thikning of a pop up one, that can be done w/ your existing headliner.

my 2 cents? save your money. the novelty of having one will wear off

bob
Old 09-19-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by spaugh
Its funny, I never really thought much of my sun roof. I hardly ever open even the slider that lets light in not to mention opening the roof and letting air flow. I guess when you have sun 300+ days a year, you don't really want more of it when you are driving. Maybe its just me???
Yeah maybe it's just a San Diego thing but I never open my sunroof either, and we have them in our 4runner and our civic. When I didn't have a sunroof I thought it woul be cool to have one, now that we have them in 2 of our 3 rides I never use them; neither does my wife.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:06 PM
CJM

I had one in my camry, it was fun for about a month then I barely ever used it. The noise it made inthe wind (and It had a built in defelector) was so annoying.

My mom has had one in the last 2 cars and hardly used them too...

If you want one its your thing, but the initial funn factor wears off quick.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine has that built in wind defelector and it sucks it so much better if you hold it down ?

Last edited by Elton; 09-19-2006 at 10:12 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Sunroof, Would I be doing a stupid thing?