Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'99 - Loose steering, strange horizontal slipping on turns, and squeaky hinge sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by madbomber08
In addition to all the things already mentioned, don't look past the steering wheel slip joint play that plagued many early 2000s Tacoma owners.

Diagnose and Fix Steering Play/Rattle

Does your 4runner track straight on a flat smooth highway road when the weather is NOT windy? If you still have problems on the highway with low wind conditions, the steering column may not be your problem, however. Mine tracks straight on highway roads its just on the bumpy, uneven, asphalt roads that it starts to wander all over the place. I am going to further investigate my steering column as it becomes scary to the point where I have to slow down sometimes. I know the welded steering column fix has helped more than one 4runner owner as well.

Hope this helps a little.

As best I can tell, I've got a little play in the steering column as described in that link. I don't think that's my only problem, though. In low wind conditions, I'm all over the lane. Today we had some seriously windy conditions and I got knocked all around. It was a little scary. I couldn't tell you how it would perform on smooth highways, as Mississippi doesn't have that newfangled innovation (at least where I live - lol).

Regarding the steering rack bushings...how's the amount of play in this video? I had it tires on the ground and got my wife to turn the unlocked steering wheel from side to side as much as she could without actually moving the tires.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baanX...ature=youtu.be

I just finally got a spare moment to myself, but I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough time to devote to doing this myself. Would I get hammered in a shop? I'm thinking that at my mileage, I should be considering replacing lower ball joints (and upper?), steering rack bushings, and tie rod ends? They're all original 180k parts as far as I know.

I'm inexperienced with suspension, and while I might be willing to tackle it, I'd appreciate knowing for sure what I need to replace so I can gauge whether I'm up to it. Is there any sense in trying to get an estimate somewhere or would they have to tear it down anyway just to do that?

EDITED TO ADD:
I came across this video. Is this pretty much what I'd have to look forward to on a 4runner? Didn't seem as bad as I expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br0krUZGA_8

Last edited by pendrag; 03-21-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude...so wish I could see the actual rack bushings where they attach the rack to the frame. There should be a total of three....two horizontal and one vertical. The rack that the tierods connect to. But, from what I can see, there is quite a bit of play in the steering rack. Again, this is a very common issue. Go the least expensive route first. Then take it from there...but from what I saw the bushings do need replacing.

Side: My buddy just bought a 98' Limited, complained of the same issue and a knock/ clank. He ended up replacing the steering rack bushings then the front sway bar mount. Test drove it after the bushings and that solved his wandering issue and again after the sway bar mounts. Both solved his issues for less than $50.00. You're getting good advise here, you just need to act on it.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 PM

Yeah, I really appreciate the insights from all of you guys. If I have a failing, it's that I try and examine a problem six ways from Sunday before I tackle it. That and I will have very little free time until late June. I wish I could leave this until then (I'm not going to need to drive it from May to mid June), but it's getting scary loose.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 AM

Based upon how scary you're describing it, I would think you'd want to take care of it as soon as possible. Having said that, the rack bushings should take under an hour. However, pneumatic tools (impact gun) will go a long way here. The rack bolts are under a serious amount of torque and need to be returned there. IIRC, one if not all are around 200ftlb...again, I dont have the book in front of me. The bushing kit shouldn't cost you more than $30.00 and again an afternoon. I agree on researching something in length to get a good handle on the job you're tackeling. Between the FSM and the help/ advise you've received here, you should be prepared. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Here are the torque settings if anyone needs them.

Last edited by pendrag; 03-25-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 PM

Guys, thank you for your help! Yesterday, I replaced the steering rack bushings with the energy suspension kit from wheelersoffroad.com. I had to burn out the original rubber sleeves with a propane torch - I couldn't get them pressed out without it. Getting everything retorqued took a bit of elbow grease, but it was worth it! I have almost no wandering and the truck is much more stable on the road. It's really like another vehicle, the difference in the ride is so significant.

I really appreciate the patience and help I received here! Thanks again!

PS: I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but the energy suspension bushing kit came with a defective center bushing. I was using the 'bonus' custom bushing included by wheelersoffroad, so it didn't affect my repair, but if I'd needed it, I would have had to get them to replace it. Hope that problem is unique to me!

Last edited by pendrag; 04-03-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice that the bushings tightened things up. Do keep the lower ball joints on the 'to do' list as a preventative item. They are $80ish?/side from the online Toyota parts dealers and can save thousands of $$ over having a failure.

Several of us have done them and can help walk you through it.....there are threads here and on TTORA showing the steps too.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-03-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:50 PM

thanks for the tips!