Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4WD issues in my runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD issues in my runner

Lemme just say this has been probably THE most helpful site I've ever been to to learn about my truck. Having so many insights and opinions really gives a great perspective on how to handle and maintain this vehicle.
Anyhoo... to my point.... I recently blew the tranny in my 2nd gen. Ok, fine, fix it. So I did (well, my mechanics did....or so i thought.....) What was supposed to be a tranny replacement has turned into so much more. I have lost my 4WD. The swap went fine, except they were unable to get the 4WD working. After 2 weeks in the shop, they finally released it to me with the inspiring words "It only has 2WD so...bring it to your dealer, have them diagnose it, and bring it back to us so we can fix it." The problem seems to be that the automatic hubs are not engaging when the 4WD is turned on. My mechanic's "friend" at Toyota told him it was a bad relay under the dash. It was promptly replaced and the problem still persists. This has been quite a headache for the past few weeks, and with winter fast approaching, I'm not too excited about driving New England roads in snow without all 4 wheels powering me up those steep hills. I hope i relayed enough info for someone to be able to help. Thanx guys!
Old 10-15-2002, 08:10 PM
Banned

My understanding of Auto hubs is very limited, but here is what I know. The hubs are supposed to lock as the front driveshaft and axle turn. There shouldn't be any relays involved. They unlock if you back up while in 4wd.

You may have the Differential disconnect system which uses vaccum lines to engauge and disengauge the front axle driveline. The vaccum hoses are often not re-connected during service or crack or fall off of the fittings.

The best way to go is to scrap whatever system you have and go for the manual hubs. Corey has done this, i'm sure there is info on his website to help you understand what to do. I was lucky, my truck came with the manual hubs so i'm not really certain how the other systems work. I'm just telling you what I have heard.

Best of luck and Welcome aboard.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

I am sorry to say that I don't have any insight to your problem at all.

I can say hello, however. Welcome to the board. Small world too. I am also from Connecticut.

If the amount of rain we have had lately is any indication of how this winter is going to go, you better hurry up and get that thing fixed. We are going to get snow up to our noses this year. I can feel it.

Noel
Old 10-15-2002, 09:42 PM

Thanx. The vacuum hose suggestion was actually told to me recently, but the explanation makes sense now. I'll bring it up to my mechanic before i make any hasty and possibly expensive moves. As far as converting to manuel hubs, that may be a project for a later date, i have too many other maintainance projects to complete first.

And Noel, I really hope my problem gets solved too. I feel the same way about this winter, and im excited to head up to the hills for skiing. No way I'll be able to get this thing there without it.

Bucky
Old 10-27-2002, 02:56 PM

A couple of questions to think about and things you can do.
1) list the front of the truck off the ground and get it started. Put the transfer case in 4 low. If I'm not mistaken, this should engage the ADD. Turn the front wheels by hand. Does the front drive shaft turn? If not, the problem might be with the ADD system.

2) Try turning the front drive shaft by hand with the transfer case in 4 low. Can you turn it? If not, good, then your transfer case is engaging. If not, bad, your having a transfer case problem.

3) Take the truck out of 4 low and put the transfer case in neutral. Now try turning the front drive shaft, it should turn freely.

This might help you further define the problem. I can't believe that a dealer would diagnose a problem, say they fixed it and then not have it fixed. How do you know the 4wd is not working. Are you depending on the idiot light or are you actually able to tell that the front end is not engaged/

Gibby