See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

3rd gen 4runner intake / air filter combo

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen 4runner intake / air filter combo

okay after hours of research I've came to conclusion the k&n fipks suck and are out the question

I've came across airaid intake MITs or true flow intake tubes with use of stock airbox with deckplate mod is usually best? or amsoil air filters too

but what is the best combo in your opinions and why? looking for best combo but can't decide what is best. I'd figure I'd take advice from those who already done it

I'm doing deckplate mod same time as my intake and air filter upgrade
thanks for help in advance
Old 09-10-2009, 04:47 PM

I'd do the ISR and deckplate... and I just got advice that the True Flow filters use oil that isn't bad for the stock MAF sensor... and they collect more dirt... so I went to the local exhaust shop and had them cut a length of pipe that was the closest diameter to the Intake Silencer and had them weld on a connection tube and they opened it up to the right diameter so I essentially created the "tube" section of a aftermarket cold-air intake kit...then did the deckplate to replicate (sp?) the cold air filter part....using a high flow filter... does that help?
Old 09-10-2009, 07:13 PM

which high flow filter did you use?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:37 PM

waiit did you mean you used the true flow filter?
is it good? i seen the gadet webpage too saying stuff about amsoil?
anyone know goods on that?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i use the true flow filter and like it alot
Old 09-11-2009, 03:16 PM

yeah i'm thinking about doing the same. K&n is out of the equation aswell

need more options..... which i dont know any of
Old 09-11-2009, 03:49 PM

true flow going out of business??
Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 PM

so wait does that mean that the places still sell their product.. i shouldnt buy it?
i mean i wanted just the intake tube the one that still connects to all my stock air box and vacuum lines and everything. just helps get rid of the intake silencer and then i wanted to do deck plate mod and it comes with a true flow filter.
so is that not the way to go anymore?
haha shoot i was just about to buy it this weekend.

should i try the AFE? wher edo you buy them? are they expensive?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:59 PM

oh i see..
now i get it when you mean. shoot, so what should i do with everything? ahah true flow was where i was aiming.
hmm so whats a good intake tube that i guess uses stock airbox? and i can just do the deckplate mod? with a AFE or whatever else high flow filter?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:17 PM

should i deckplate first then the MIT or just wait and do it all the same time?
i was planning on ordeing the airaid today thats why
haah thanks

but how is the airaid fiter? is that one any good? im planning to order from burtsmanindustries and wondeiring is i should pay the extra 40 for the filter?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Hey guys Yotas up? I have a question, I just recently bought a 1996 limited 4x4 runner to add to my collection of runners and wow does that 3.4 put the 3.0 in the dust. The 96 is all stock except for flowmaster exhaust and a stock fittment K&N air filter. The 91 got a leveling and about 2"/3" lift with 31 10.50 BFG AT/KO's but is otherwise stock. I need a few things for the 96 so I did a search on ebay for "1996 4runner" and came across a kit for the intake and would appreciate your take on this. It is a bypass for the throttle body to reroute the hot coolant around the throttle body and caps the old inlet/outlets. Claims only minor performance improvement from intaking cooler air but is only like 15 bucks, and they do not recommend using it in real cold climates at least not during cold months. I live in Arizona and was thinking if this would help even if only just slighly I could do this without a silly kit. An explanation of pros or cons would be appreciated to help me better understand this cold air intake stuff. Happy Yota trails! Jimmy
Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Buhundred
It's junk IMO.
Would you mind explaining? I am aware it could not help much for that price, but if I can do it virtually for nothing with stuff I have is it a bad thing?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 86-91-4runners
Would you mind explaining? I am aware it could not help much for that price, but if I can do it virtually for nothing with stuff I have is it a bad thing?
I've got experience with that stupid ebay junk "intake kit." First off if you have a '96-98 3.4 then they do not realize our MAF sensor is inline with the filter and not removable from the top like the later models were. Idiot me didn't have a strip of sheet metal to cover the hole (where the MAF sensor goes) and used duct tape in order to get by for the time being until I could get something to properly cover the hole. Again idiot me forgot all about it until I was towing an MR2 on a full flatbed trailer on I85 from Ft. Benning GA to SC. I all of a sudden lost vacuum and had no brakes! I pull over to see what was the problem. Immediately I discovered my ignorance. The tape was sucked into the throttle blades and thankfully was still stuck on the throttle blade. I didn't have any materials to cover it up nor my factory box so I had to get AAA to tow my 4Runner and the trailer back to my house. It was mortally embarrassing.
On top of the poor quality my "kit" did not include the hardware to hold the tube steady so it would flop around and eventually come loose from the throttle intake. Also I did not get enough hoses and the ones supplied were weak and would collapse under the heat. After my experience I put my factory intake back on and never messed with it. Don't waste your money, just search deckplate mod and ISR mod and you'll be fine. I have not done it yet, but to save yourself future headache learn from MY ignorance.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoops I misread your post I thought you were talking about intake kit, but anyways... another "gotcha" is those resistors you can buy to make your engine think it's running cooler to dump more fuel while adding hp is crap. You have to realize the ECU reads many parameters such as IAT, MAF, ECT, TPS, engine load, and various others so you aren't truly fooling the ECU. I've seen them and they are like $10 but you can go to Radio Shack and buy the same resistor for under a buck, either way it's useless. Typically in performance you will get what you pay for. As far as the ISR and deckplate mode it was actually dyno tested by I forget who on here. But it was tested and actually works.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:59 PM

Well, look at it this way. Since Trueflow is going out of business there are going to be no more oiling kits, the oiling kits that will be left will be overpriced (I've seen some starting to go for $25) and would cost about the same amount as a paper filter from the dealer making a Trueflow filter useless IMO.
Trueflow filters are just amsoil filters with a better frame (plastic vs. soft rim). Any foam filter cleaner/recharge kit will work, i.e. amsoil recharge kits, etc.

If you can still buy the trueflow filter I would, never buy another filter again, just clean and reoil, far from "useless."

Airaid MIT + TruFlow here.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM

I never knew that you could use an Amsoil recharge kit for the Trueflow.
Wouldn't think cost of the recharge kits equal to the cost of an OEM paper filter?
Well the recharge kits aren't a one time use. They're bottles of oil. You can get many many reoils out of one kit. Aerosol or squirt, I had the squirt kind. Searching I see the old style bottle has been discontinued.

It was replaced by Twin Air filters; doesn't look like amsoil has a foam filter for passenger vehicles anymore, they switched to a dry nanofiber. The foam is only offered for motorcycles/atvs, etc under a new name, "Twin Air"....Same type of recharge oil is used, they utilize the same course foam first layer, followed by fine foam second layer. High Tack Air Filter Oil $20ish

Last edited by CYi5; 09-13-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:22 PM

well thats good news for the recharge kits.
just incase if they go out of business i can still buy more.
now i have to choose once again ahha
either the true flow or the airaid MIT..

only thing that stopped me from buying the true flow system was the oil thing, but i guess thats not much of a problem now haha
Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM

anyone got a true flow filter for sale?
i cant find one..
Old 10-19-2009, 04:00 AM

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...8&PN=9157&sv=0

second link is a little cheaper.

Last edited by ft_surgn; 10-19-2009 at 04:09 AM.