Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2006 Toyota HP & TQ ratings

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Toyota HP & TQ ratings

Anyone know what the deal is with the 2006's and the horsepower and torque ratings? From what I have seen, everything (3.5 and 4.0 V6) is rated less than last year. Possibly different way of obtaining these ratings (as in how tests are conducted)? MPG ratings are the same, so I'm at a loss... could it have something to do with new emission standards?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota wanted to give a more real world horsepower rating. The horsepower ratings now factor in that there are a myriad of belts on the engine sucking horsepoer and torque such as your A/C, alternator, power steering pump, etc, etc.

There is NO change in performance in the engines, nor have they been de-tuned or altered in any way from the previous years. Just the numbers, that's it.

It is also an interesting statement that Toyota has made in doing this. I think Toyota is probaby the first vehicle manufacturer to give a more real world rating in this regard. However they still haven't given what I would coin as the REAL world rating in giving rear wheel horsepower numbers, but it's still a step up from what other manufacturers offer as far as their horsepower ratings. And it also says to people that Toyota doesn't care about horsepower or torque (nor have they ever really? - they've never really been the horsepower kings as far as ratings go). They care about putting out reliable vehicles that are in demand. And look at the demand for the new '05 and '06 Tacoma's? Incredible! This truck is still the best performing truck in it's category despite having the least horespower ratings (it's to do with weight mostly as to why the Tacoma is such a good performer). I think anyone who is more informed will really look hard at a Toyota. There are so many variables besides that stupid horsepower and torque number that influence performance that it really takes an informed shopper to not get all psyched out by just simple numbers.

So basically in a nutshell, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are concerned about "performance," don't do it based on horsepower and torque ratings, do it on track times. In that case the Tacoma is hands down no.1 in it's class right now.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:00 AM
Contributing Member

Very true, the companies that care about HP use it as a marketing tool (Dodge Chevy are the worst) and they don't sell as many vehicles. Look at Ford, the F150 has always been behind in the power and performance curve but that never stopped it from selling. I like to have reasonable power in a truck, but at the end of the day its a truck, if it will haul well then thats all you need. I know two Dodge truck Hemi owners that are whining about that 13mpg since Katrina came through.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

The SAE revised the HP and TQ formula. Some motor ratings went up, some went down and some stayed the same. No change to what the motor puts out with all things being equal. This is true for all the manufacturers.

Scott
Old 10-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

no if all the manufacturers are using the same testing methods as toyota then all the HP & TQ will go down. Its just that the government does not require the new testing procedures for the manufacturer til 2008. So at the moment some manufacturers will still test their cars the old way while some will test it the new way. from what ive been told most will not change for another year.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:47 AM

GM is using SAE, if i remember correctly the new Zo6 was the first production vehicle rated using SAE standards.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lone4runner
no if all the manufacturers are using the same testing methods as toyota then all the HP & TQ will go down. Its just that the government does not require the new testing procedures for the manufacturer til 2008. So at the moment some manufacturers will still test their cars the old way while some will test it the new way. from what ive been told most will not change for another year.
No, GM was the first with the 06 Z06. Here is an article.

http://www.americancarfans.com/news....lmotors/1.html
Old 10-01-2005, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

I never said toyota was the first. Just that SOME companies were doing the new testing and that some were not. Since we were on the subject of toyotas I related the topic to it. I honestly did not know which was the first. Also that if the new testing were to be done by everybody that the HP & TQ of all vehicles would go down. I can not imagine that anyone vehicle would stay the same. :grin:
Old 10-01-2005, 11:54 AM

Check out this link also,

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-283759.htm
Old 10-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lone4runner
I never said toyota was the first. Just that SOME companies were doing the new testing and that some were not. Since we were on the subject of toyotas I related the topic to it. I honestly did not know which was the first. Also that if the new testing were to be done by everybody that the HP & TQ of all vehicles would go down. I can not imagine that anyone vehicle would stay the same. :grin:
Quote from article referenced above by rbmc...
"The Cadillac STSV luxury sedan roadster with a Northstar engine saw its horsepower rating go from 440 to 469."
Old 10-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by elnip
Quote from article referenced above by rbmc...
"The Cadillac STSV luxury sedan roadster with a Northstar engine saw its horsepower rating go from 440 to 469."
ok ok i stand corrected. I wasnt sure but as I stated before I couldnt imagine how they could be higher. Now I can . I still would like to know if they changed they rpm ratings along with the HP though. See its kinda bad that there is no standard as to how the car companies market their vehicles. The hp rating may be higher but so can the rpm.

side note. Again I DONT Know but I ask
Old 11-11-2005, 06:41 PM

I want them to re test my 3vze. Maybe I can gain 25 horse.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ElwayLite
Very true, the companies that care about HP use it as a marketing tool (Dodge Chevy are the worst) and they don't sell as many vehicles. Look at Ford, the F150 has always been behind in the power and performance curve but that never stopped it from selling. I like to have reasonable power in a truck, but at the end of the day its a truck, if it will haul well then thats all you need. I know two Dodge truck Hemi owners that are whining about that 13mpg since Katrina came through.
Sooooooo true and the sad part is there are many ford owners who buy into it! I love going over to the Titan boards and reading their kill stories! Usually a ford or chevy dude is running his mouth...lol The only one that gives the Titan any trouble are the standard cab HEMI's...hehe
Old 11-12-2005, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

titans are quick
Old 11-22-2005, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Sooooooo true and the sad part is there are many ford owners who buy into it!
that doesnt make any sense