Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 Tacoma Front E-brake cable replacement!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face 2000 Tacoma Front E-brake cable replacement!!

Well this was sure interesting to say the least!

First one must remember when building a vehicle very little fore thought is put into repairing a vehicle. Get it down the line and out the door.

Having only worked on the mid eighties trucks and 4Runners which make it quite easy to get the cable out of the handle not like on the newer ones.

In any case you must remove the lower plastic dash piece . Remove the 2 screws holding the hood release the rest is pretty easy to get this off.

At this point after seeing no real easy way to get the cable free of the handle i stopped checked the Haynes manual useless as well as the FSM.

Searched here nothing or I could not find it.

Did a Goggle search and after looking through quite a few useless threads i found one that told me to remove the whole in cab E-Brake assembly to be able to drive out the pin the engages the switch.

Which would allow you enough room to spin the handle and remove the cable end. Now this seemed like a lot of work. that no doubt would cause lots of grief .

Thinking I decided to fix this problem (I know i should have taken pictures ) Got out the air die grinder ear plugs safety glasses.

Turn on the ball valve to allow the air to flow only forgetting I had shut the electrical disconnect off with the bad Thunder Storms we had been having.

Just remembered when I am about to break out a new die grinder thinking this one had just died of old age.

I made sure I had enough room this was about 3" in from the rear of the E-Brake assembly. If you cable is not all ready broken you need to disconnect it At the intermediate lever a good time to lube the spring and every thing else

I only made enough of opening to get the cable end free slipped that out good to go!!

I found to get the pin out of the plastic pulley I needed to remove the two bolts holding the throttle pedal there are two brackets and two clips to remove the old cable is pulled out from the top.

I made sure it all worked the first time the light has been out for a long time.

Now to me this is sure easier then taking it all out to just change a cable If by some chance I ever need to change another one it is a lot easier.

Last edited by wyoming9; 07-14-2012 at 12:11 PM.