Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

$100 Sunroof...good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$100 Sunroof...good deal?

A guy that owns a car parts recycling yard told me he would sell me a sunroof from a 97-99 4Runner for $100. Is there anything that would interfere with installation of a 97 sunroof in a 2000 4Runner? Should I take it to a prof. installer to cut the hole in my roof? Should I get the whole thing prof. installed?

I got my Limited interior from this guy so I know he's a straight shooter. I also installed the entire interior myself, so maybe I could do this myself? He's gonna give me the headliner too, btw.

Any thoughts?

Jim
Old 08-02-2004, 02:25 PM

I was gonna mention the headliner and switches/electrical parts but sounds like he's hooking you up. I wish I had one. Good find from the sounds of it.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

I would be hesitant to do my own work that required cutting into the roof. I think I'd get it professionally done so if there were any leaking problems I could just take it back.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I would be hesitant to do my own work that required cutting into the roof. I think I'd get it professionally done so if there were any leaking problems I could just take it back.
That's what I was thinking really. I saw Stacey from TNN Trucks cut a hole in a full size Chevy for a sunroof and for some reason, I thought maybe I could do it. What am I thinking??
Old 08-02-2004, 08:28 PM

Bump it up for a few more opinions...

Isn't there a copper drainage tube that runs somewhere? Anybody see the system exposed? Is it tough to deal with?

I'm trying to get this done on the super-cheap since it's not a necessity. I might just get a professional to cut the hole.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

FWIW, I had an authorized ASC dealer/installer put a dropdown one touch power roof in for under $900 with a lifetime leak waranty and free maintance for like 10 years. When researching non-factory roofs the number of complaints with leaking roofs was astounding...thus I wanted something with a good waranty. After a year of my install, it leaked, but I took it in and all was fixed free of charge. There are also various ASC installers around the country that will fix it for you free of charge. I honestly feel that with something that has a history of problems, you should get it done profesionally and warantied. You will find that there is a WHOLE lot more than just cutting a hole in the roof. For starters, you will need to lower the headliner a good inch to make roof for it to drop down and slide inside. You will also need to install tracks and probably reinforce the roof where the glass slides.

Im not trying to say dont do it...just realize that it is a pretty tough job and $900 isnt all that bad when you look at all the work needing to be done.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Don't do it. Much more trouble than it's worth.

Check my install...
Old 08-02-2004, 09:24 PM

Thanks for laying it out for me. I might just go there and scope out the donor vehicle and see how it fits in and look at all the differences. Maybe this will stay on the bottom of the future mods list if it's too much to deal with.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Phisherman
scope out the donor vehicle and see how it fits in and look at all the differences.
This is probably the statement that convinced me two years ago. Getting that sunroof in means cutting off the top of the cab and welding the other one on. The welds, drains, weak points, expense, etc. are far more expensive and risky. Also, replacement parts for OEM are much more expensive and... how do you know the donor sunroof isn't already leaking? How long until it does? The transplant may actually cause the leaks.

I have gone out of my way to keep my add ons all Toyota, but am so glad I didn't mess with this one. Love my roof, no problems with it. When it does leak, it will only cost a few bucks to fix.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:04 AM

Not to mention rubber seals, which get old and start to leak.
Also I have 4 drainage tubes, one at each corner...is is a ton of work.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:04 AM

No sunroof, I've learned to take advice from people here! I wish it were as easy as $100 and a few hours. This looks like a $1000 mod. Close the thread, it's pointless!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:26 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I guess this is a little late, but the factory sunroof is not an add-on, as dajabr figured out. It requires welding, and then paint, on top of the framewell, tracks, gutters and drains going in. We used to send Toyotas out and have factory style electric roofs put in as a dealer option, like PoBoy has done. It's a pretty good deal considering the quality of the top and installation.