86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

makemusic116's 1993 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not much going on as of late the truck was in the shop all day yesterday getting the timing chain and tensioner replaced. I am going to pick it up this morning but after I do it's straight to work so no time to do anything. I need to give it a good bath and put the inner fender liners back in. Next on the list is probably front shocks but who knows. Hopefully i'll have something soon for you guys
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM

No more annoying rattling noise! Just picked the truck up from the shop this afternoon and having the timing chain and tensioner replaced completely got rid of that damn noise. And the best part is that it only cost me $270 which is a lot less than I thought it was going to be. I need to address my brakes front and rear pretty soon they're giving me some minor vibration at slower stopping speeds. And I think the passenger side wheel bearing is bad its howling pretty good.

Money Spent So Far:
Tires and Rims: $600
Timing Chain: $270
Undercoating: $25
Nightshades: $10
Alt belt: $7

I want to take care of everything mechanically before I finish the accessories but I still plan on everything mentioned previously.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:57 AM

Still not much going on with the truck. I have been enjoying the fact that I can actually drive it now. I bought it on a Friday and by the time I got it home the town office was closed so I couldn't get it registered or insured, which meant waiting until Monday to actually drive it. And then come Monday I had to be to work for 7:00a.m. and didn't leave until like 5:45...town office closes at 4:30. Finally got it going on Tuesday so I waited three days before I could really drive it. And then I found out about my timing chain being bad and it was parked for another week. I have had the thing less than a month and really haven't driven it all that much. I did finally get my inner fender wells put back in and I put some Suzuki stickers on my back window. Won't be much longer and i'll have the bike out and be able to park the truck for some more serious mods...
Old 04-24-2010, 03:09 AM

Stickers:

Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 AM

Nothing really new going on due to lack of funds and lots of rain. One exciting bit of news is I got a quote of $140 to tint my windows, which i'll definitely be doing soon!

Random Rainy Day Shot:
Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Sorry not much updates as of late I've been riding the bike every nice day so the Yota hasn't seen much road use. I still have plans for it but right now the wallet is a little dusty because I am saving money to put some pipes on my bike.

The Two Toys:

Coming soon:
-rainguards
-window tint
Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 PM

the trucks looking man!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:15 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates! Money has been tight and I just put $800 into pipes on my bike. I have done a few small things which I totally spaced and didn't take any pics of...

My gas pedal used to stick when I would first get in my truck in the morning or if it sat a few hours. It was really annoying because I would go to give it gas and I would get nothing then all of a sudden it would free up and hit the floor lurching me forward at full throttle. Well initially I figured it was the throttle cable or the spring on the pedal so I lubed the spring and checked the cable...not the issue. We got a new company at my shop for flushes (coolant, transmission, ect...) so I got to try everything for free and I was doing a fuel injection cleaning when I discovered the issue. I took off my air intake tube to clean my throttle body...holy crap. It was literally so gummed up with carbon you couldn't see a speck of the original finish on the butterfly or the throttle body itself. What was happening is the butterfly in the throttle body was literally getting stuck in the gunk causing my pedal to stick until I pressed hard enough to free it up. So after a full can of throttle body/intake cleaner and a lot of brushing it was a silver finish again and no more sticky pedal! It was so gummed up that once it was cleaned I noticed a HUGE difference in low end power and went from about 17-18 MPG to 20-22 MPG, which is damn good turning 265's.

I also serviced both differentials, my transfer case and transmission. We never had the capability before to do manual transmissions or differential services without removing the cover and replacing the diff gaskets. On the Yota though everything has a drain plug on bottom making fluid changes simple and requiring no machines. I could not believe how clean the fluid was in everything someone took damn good care of this truck.

Soonish:
front brakes
front wheel bearings
rainguards
buff and wax
Old 06-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makemusic116
This is the Yota when I bought it:

Disgusting rims, rusty lug nuts, 225's, huge mud flaps and an ugly cap...

Wierd, I did almost the same thing to my 93
Stock

After a few mods

Truck looks good btw.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:42 PM

Looks awesome man I really love the black!
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
truck looks pretty good, bro...

not sure how i like the look of the nightshades tho... maybe if you black out all your chrome it will look better...
Old 07-11-2010, 06:36 PM

Finally made some progress!

Decals Removed and Rainguards Added:

Before:

After:

I used a heat gun, razor blade and adhesive remover to remove the decals. I basically heated them up and used a razor blade to get me started peeling. A few hours and a lot of patience later it was all cleaned up. The excess glue was a PITA to get off but if you work it enough it comes off.

Coming Soonish:
Window Tint
Buff and Wax
Old 07-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Buffed and Waxed the truck today came out decent considering I only spent an hour or so on it. It came back to me why I don't detail cars for a living anymore...it is a lot of work!

Here is how it came out:

More to come:
Window tint
Herculiner*

*Undercoating just isn't holding up and if it can't hold up to a Maine summer winter is going to destroy it!
Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 AM

What are those wheels and tires? I had the same wheels on my wrangler but the backspacing was way too much, stuck out a mile. I've got the exact same truck (but an xtracab) with bald 225's.

Truck looks awesome man.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM

Thanks Man! They are Black Crawlers by U.S. Wheel 15x8 not positive what backspacing and the tires are Wild Country XTX Sports 265/75/15's. I had the same rims on my Cherokee I like them because they look nice and they're cheap. I went with A/T type tires because this truck is in just too good of shape to take in the trail so I don't need real agressive tires.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:14 AM

I've used the Nightshades before, when I was more into street trucks, although I didn't go nearly as dark as you did. Before I applied the tint, I sprayed on some transparent red to eliminate the backup portion (legal here), then two pretty light coats followed by two coats of clear gloss. The medium-intensity tint and the gloss really made the lenses stand out in a subtle way.... looked kinda burgandy, but if my truck would've been black, I would've gone as dark as you did. Turns out that I could've gone almost black, because I gutted the bulb housings and installed custom-shaped LED's.... HYPER BRIGHT! I love Nightshades.... One recommendation: You might want to shoot some clear on for protection - lasted me years with zero chipping or flaking.
Cheers, Broeheem
Attached Thumbnails makemusic116's 1993 Pickup Build-Up Thread-dakota30.jpg  
Old 07-26-2010, 06:03 PM

Yeah, believe me, I did not intend for it to be that dark. One thing I have learned in all the times that I have used that stuff is that it reacts differently to various tail lenses. Some take one coat and they're black and some take five and won't darken up. These only took two coats and it didn't look dark at all and then when it dried I was like holy crap
Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 PM

I guess I was assuming that you wanted them to be that dark. If I remember correctly, I could've put a lot more coats on, but the first time I tinted them, it WAS too dark. I just wiped it all off with common paint thinner and started over. Actually, on the second incarnation, I put one coat on then used some pinstriping as masking tape to create a horizontal pattern, then a second coat, but when it was finished it looked cheesy to me. Third time really was a charm.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:50 PM

Due to some current living situation changes not a lot going on with the truck as of late. There are some things that are definitely getting done soon because winter is on its way and working on a truck in the snow is no fun. I want it all ready to go for winter time because I only work one job so cash flow will be coming in slow.

In order of importance:
-brakes and wheel bearings
-transfer case output shaft seal
-redo rockers with herculiner
-tint windows
Old 10-27-2010, 03:32 PM

really like this truck, i second the guy that said paint the chrome black, maybe herculiner?? looks good though and keep it up!