86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

JeEvES' 1994 4Runner SR5 Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JeEvES' 1994 4Runner SR5 Build-Up Thread

So I have a few opinions and pointers on yotas and i think its time i show you want i got. Mostly pictures to start with a little explanation.

The earliest picture i have of the truck is from before i owned it. My buddy Brandon bought this truck and later after i didn't run anymore i bought it off him. So heres me, Marley, my bimmer, and my future runner.

and another sittin in front of our house.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:13 PM

About 22 min after I gave my buddy his first payment i took the racks off the bimmer and put them on the new toy. These racks were my pickup when i only had my car.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:18 PM

I can't find any pictures but they were good. During the first motor redo i only had a 40ish pieces craftsman set. I had to take everything out of the engine bay piece by piece cause i couldn't lift the whole thing. Bought a used motor from up in the couv and plopped it in. Then it was time devirginize myself in what at the time i thought was 4 wheel drive (apparently just one front and one rear wheel drive )

I mostly played on Forest Service Roads and got to some nice places.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I like your rims.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM

Everybody posser pics when there new.....right?

White cap snow park parking lot Mt Hood.

WARNING: FLEX PIC

HAHAHA and the mound of snow i was worried about getting stuck in
Old 10-21-2009, 05:26 PM

All stock and not much wrenching till this point

This is a picture i took of myself cause i knew id wanna see it later. My Tranny would only push the truck in 4th gear. driving down the highway from Ashland to Portland (300 miles) 5th gear went limp, shifted 4th worked shifted 3rd limp. call to my pops and get him to search YT to find i blew my input shaft. So now i sit at the top of an on ramp, 240miles from home with only 4th gear. Me and the better half push me down the on ramp and hit maybe 30mph by the time im on the highway. boggin the lil 22 down. The rest of the journey im on pins and needles trying to get up step hills and keep from having to drive 4low all the way home. Pissed off allot of people on the road that day cause i had to get into clear lanes to get up hills. Sorry if i affected you . Cause of the problem was low tranny oil due to a loose shifter plate.

Last edited by JeEVeS; 10-21-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 PM

I love those rims. ive got 3 sets of alumi and those are my favorite.

Parked infront of my house. Rebuilt the tranny in the street with buses whizin by.

Luggin the tranny to my front door in the back of the house

And rebuilt the tranny in my kitchen. screwed a vise to my kitchen table (everyone always gets a kick outta that (except the old lady))

Took me 4-5 months (mostly money issues)but i got it runing again. Super proud that i did a tranny (lmao). My dads a pretty good home mechanic but he hadn't been in a tranny. Maybe the first time i surpassed my father.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 PM

And back to business as usual

Sorry about the no build, build up thread but it'll come eventually.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:52 PM

Theres a spare in that last pic cause i had two bad beads that wouldn't hold air. So new tires it was. And whats the biggest meanest tire you can put on a stock yota without trimming. 34 x 9.5 tsl. bought them used/ never on the road (mud drags)/ with every other nub cut.

Stock suspension, tuck baby tuck
Old 10-21-2009, 05:59 PM
User Requested Ban

haha awesome dude. Seem like a cool guy to chill around.

If you ever come north let me know, 132 miles north of portland is Tahuya

Same area is Evan's creek.

Or i'll come down and we'll hit Brown's or Sand Lake.

I used to live in McMinnville and my family owns a Tow Company in McMinnville. A coffee shop in Sheridan if you ever head towards the coast.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:07 PM

(no pics)
A few trips, a few years, fast forward to more tranny problems. go out and play on the beach with some buddies for a long weekend. stay till mon and head home to work at 10. Tranny breaks. Long story short i decide to ditch mine cause apparently its the only 4cyl without a gear drivin case. Search and land on a great deal on a turbo tranny with case. Inspect and install. Plans are to rebuild it down the road but i wanna drive my truck and it looks good so i put it in. Didn't come with a case shifter so i decide its time to twin stick. Went with the TG and if i could do it again i would go else ware. More about the twin in the next post.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
are U the supra eficianato type guy ?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by theAuthority
Seem like a cool guy to chill around.

If you ever come north let me know, 132 miles north of portland is Tahuya

Same area is Evan's creek.

Or i'll come down and we'll hit Brown's or Sand Lake.

I used to live in McMinnville and my family owns a Tow Company in McMinnville. A coffee shop in Sheridan if you ever head towards the coast.
Thanks, i like the "view" i have on life

I would love to start and get more into Washington. I only really cross the river to pick up parts in the couv. But i really want to hike and ski st helens and would love to see more wheelin spots. And im always down to drink a beer and BS if your in town/ go get dirty/sandy

You should go ahead and post up the tow company number and name. never know when things are gonna go south and need a tow. and if i can put money in the pocket of a friend for services i do
Old 10-21-2009, 06:20 PM
User Requested Ban

Always Affordable Towing
McMinnville, OR

I don't know their main phone number, I just use my uncle's private cell. Also just started a wrecking yard. So if you want to put full size axles and a 454 in that thing. I have the parts, haha.

My Koffee Kup
201 main st Sheridan, OR tell me before you go and i'll have them give you free coffee
Old 10-21-2009, 06:25 PM

o the twin stick (heres some tech, albeit copied from my post on TG forum)

So i get my twin stick (again awesome piece of metal). I go out to put it in and it doesn't work. The problem being that the shift key (part of the twin stick that goes inside the case and moves the shift rails) is hitting the "shift and select lever" shown in diagram one. on my G58 (which this twin stick will not bolt to fyi, but mine is blown anyway) the "shift and select lever" is located about 2 inch down from where it is in my r151f forward shift case. this is what my shift keys are hitting.

"shift and select lever" (close to the bottom right)

location of shift select lever r151f its only 1/4 in between bottom of shift rail and top of "shift and select lever"

location of the shift select lever g58 (plenty of space)

I called TG this morning and i hate to say it but i didn't get charm. I read so much about how great they are and basically all i got was if it doesn't work i can't help, send it back well give you a full refund. I don't really want a refund i want a twin stick. I tried to get more info from them along the lines of this ever happening before. i figure on a 2-3yr old product i can't be the first with this problem. (also the website shows that it will work for my turbo application). i got no where.

I then called marlin, Inchworm, front range off-road to see if they had ever seen this problem. (apparently all of these twin sticks use the same shifter key, hrmmm). they all offered help to get me righted, more help than TG.

SO AS OF RIGHT NOW I DON'T THINK ANY TWIN STICK FROM ANY MANUFACTUERER WILL WORK ON A R151F FORWARD SHIFT

Everyone had mostly delt with top shifts by the way

I have two options, i can get a cutoff wheel and nip the bottom 1/4 in off the shift keys and it seems this will alleviate my problem. Other option is a riser plate. though i don't have the ability at home i have friends that should be able to help with this. i all leaning towards this because TG told me any modification voids returnability which i understand.

To go with option two i have currently set up a mock spacer, i took a couple petex sticks. similar to hot glue gun sticks but for resurfacing a snow ski. they are about 1/4 in in diameter and i put one across the twin shifter plate too the front and one to the rear. this raise the twin stick base and everything shifts like it should.

I ended up making a riser out of think metal plate. once it worked i never looked back. Next time it is out i will take a pic of my riser plate.

Last edited by JeEVeS; 10-21-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
are u the supra eficianato type guy ?
?? ?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Warning jeep bashing coming up.

I finally had my first Toyota v. jeep event. (lmao, spell check caps the T in Toyota but not the J in heep)

We were camping down by detroit lake for the opening of trout season ( a month later in my neck of the woods). Well we decided to go hang out by the water with the girls and dogs. the sign when we came in said "danger, what level may rise". Paying no attention we continue. Sitting around and trucks are sinking, and we are watching.

All the suddon we see 3 yakers haulin round hangy objects back to their trucks. They parked to close to the water. First one back is a cherokee.

(theres prolly 40 people standing around watching at this point)

Older guy, takes it nice and easy, water stays off his hood and hes out

followed by his buddy in an astro van

made it out no harm aside from soggy carpet.

Another 1/2hour to 45 min and the grand owner returns.

He yells to us "what do i do". we yell "take it easy and drive out". well he starts it up, starts to turn and comes towards shore when he went down in a hole about 6 inches. He freaks and wants to get out of the water and water shoots up over his hood and the motor stops.

I have hidden my truck at this point as to not be the puller for a man in distress. I was worried with all my tranny problems that i would break.

push comes to shove and i pull him out. As im tugin up the hill i assingly yell "is this a jeep commercial or a toyota one?". i feel bad about this but had to do it.

We get him out and a little dry. Help him work on his truck a little. but not a good situation for him. Also hes from alaska so hes far from home. ::feel bad::

The last guy was the worst off.

That pretty much tells the story, took him longer to return. The worst part for him was it seemed that it was one of few weekends where he got to be with his kids.

O and the grand doesn't have any tow points up front just to let the whole world know. He had straped up to his tie rod cause its all he could find under water ;(
Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 PM

Time to eat but i almost forget the best part of it all. a couple jeeps came around hours befor this. one, a Cherokee, with big red coil springs (thats all i remember of it) wanted to drive over a rock. well he tried and tried but couldn't geterdone. sounds reasonable, ive had my share of not getting up and over with the runner. until you see the scale the rock

lmao
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41 PM

So it seems as though im writing an autobiography of Jeni. oh yea, Jeni is her name. Out to the beach with the street tires on. (alumi rim #2). Chelsea, Jeni, and the Pacific
Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Lce

I had cracked my cast exhaust manifold sometime in 07 and replaced it with a supersprint unit. Lived with that until it was time. LCE baby

no sooner than when i got home from work and saw big boxes awaiting my arrival, my old exhaust was removed. I had a few bad gaskets and had thought the SS flange was warped cause i always heard exhaust. sounded bad. The LCE kit was very packed with all the stuff, similar to how i receive Marlin goodies.

The work is simple so ill just side by side some pics.

Installed and still had a bad sound. so i read around and inserted the two bolt that hold the egr to the header (which i hadn't had since my stock manifold). Had to replace a couple gaskets and it sounds sooo good now. Ill post a video of my note tomarrow.

Quick Reply: JeEvES' 1994 4Runner SR5 Build-Up Thread