86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

87 'runner boosted's 4Runner SR5 build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 87 'runner boosted
shanks Ive decided while I had my engine out that im going to do an egr delete on this thing too. Ive searched and seen lots of threads on this, meant to ask some of the people who did, but didnt. I can eliminate a ton of the vacuum lines by doing this mod cant I??
You have to keep some of them hooked up or the computer will throw codes, not sure witch ones checking into it myself.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:45 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm in CA,.... they open my hood and see no EGR or Modulator.... it's off to the gallows! lol.

Far as deleting, ... I don't believe the Puter will throw a code on a pre-88 rig with EFI... In fact, it might be 89 and up. Reason being, they began to add "EGR Sensors" at some point. Mine? NADA! YET, I passed smog every time for the 10 years that I've owned it.

Far as deleting it.... are you sure that's ok with TX law? Well, after all, CA and TX, that's like comparing North Korea and Holland! lol.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Mark I think you are correct its a harder mod on the latter models, and good point on the legal issue, I forget not everyone lives in the great state of TN.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM

lol, well...not so sure if its legal down here or not, but they dont check for it, so no biggy. Ive done some research, looks like all you need are the two block off plates (one on head at back left side and one on upper intake plenum). Ive ordered both plates off a guy in Victoria B.C. Canada, he makes them himself, they are aluminum and come in 3 different colours (course i picked annodized blue). Should have my brand new head sometime this week coming up. I want yall to check out what i had and tell me what yall think about these injectors and my head.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM

notice my valves, one cylinder in particular appears to be burnt (assuming the white on them indicates extreme heat)

Here are my injectors, these will be getting sent out to be cleaned, flow tested and reinstalled with new seals). does any body know by looking whether or not these suckers are 22re or ret injectors???

Old 07-17-2011, 04:26 PM

Look up that number on dealerdirectparts.com or one of those for Toyota only, .... I can see it on the injector.........

23260-45011(46011?) lil clean up and you'll know, lol. But, hmmm, looks like a couple diff numbers? WTH? Maybe they pieced it together? Clean em up and get them numbers and look em up and hopefully you'll know. Mine are similar, like a tanish gray? I'm SURE they're original on mine. Want pics of mine? I might be able to find em, lol.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:27 PM

If they are THE WRONG INJECTORS... wanna find out now, right? I'm sure witchhunter or someone might trade you for the right ones, minus the fee for cleaning, right? Might as well ask if it comes to that, eh?
Old 07-18-2011, 12:52 PM

yah man, for sure. Ordered my overhaul kit from engnbldrs today, gotta say, im really jealous of the people who live close to that place and have him at their mercy....great guy to deal with. Machine shop told me I had to go .30" over on the pistons, .10" over on the mains and 0.30" over on the rods...should have it here wednesday, will be taking them to machine shop same day and get them to do some fitting, hopefully have it back thursday so i can get to slapping it back together. REALLY stoked to see how this thing runs when I get her all reassembled. Gonna be pretty clean.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Oh, and does anybody know if leaving my oil psi sensor and coolant temp sensor unplugged will log a CEL?? Ive got some manual gauges I want to install, my oil psi gauge never has worked (might be part of the reason I spun 3 rod bearings, go figure). Anyways, I want to install these other gauges so as to have something mechanical I can look at and tell what the oil psi is.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM

I don't think that throws a code, but I could be wrong... I think it WOULD throw a "OIL" light up... But you could SURELY bypass that... Maybe 4crawler has that up on his 'tech stuff' pages? MANY do it, so you'll find out, ya know?
Sounds like it's coming along, WOOT!
Old 07-19-2011, 04:39 AM

And see, I figured the same thing, but the oil psi gauge hasnt worked in the year ive owned it and who knows how long before that. Course, could always be that the bulb went out...wouldnt be the first time Ive seen that...Ill do some searching, thanks again chef.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:23 PM

my old timing cover

my new timing cover

Old 07-19-2011, 07:22 PM

NO prob, ....and... "Hey, .....mista,...... check out my sexy 'COVER'! " hehe. Lookin good! Bet you're excited!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:25 PM

PS> Interesting how the new cover has one port in that lower galley while the orig. has 2? NOT EVEN saying it makes any difference, just curious why they changed em up, ya know?

This is from engnbldr? I have the same one, a "Rock" cover... just never noticed that.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:55 PM

Those are 22re injectors. As for the oil gauge it won't throw a code. I have an after market one on mine. Leave the temp hooked up I think the computer needs it. I could be wrong. It's lookin' good.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:24 PM

Chef - ha youre going to kill me, but I bought it off ebay :S, dont know if its a rock or not, but it sure looks good

Snow - Thanks for the heads up on the injectors man, really helpful, I havent had a chance to call anybody up and ask if those injectors were re's or ret's. And if the coolant temp does need to be hooked up, should I just stick my aftermarket one in a seperate hole maybe??? My coolant temp nor oil psi gauges work, pretty sure both problems are related to the sensor and not the instrument cluster....but I dont want to replace it, trust the aftermarkets more anyways, at least they have numbers
Old 07-20-2011, 06:29 PM

AND GUESS WHAT SHOWED UP TODAY!!!!!!

but hold your applause, because I took everything to the machine shop to be fitted only to find they havent done anything to it yet....really hate having all these machine shop problems. Anyways, they told me they should have the block bored by friday and the crank done by monday. Sucky thing about it is that I took half of today, all tomorrow and all friday off to get this thing put together...looks like im gonna be putting in some long hours working on this truck after my regular job next week. At least it gives me time to get all my parts painted and stuff...

Wanna take a second here as well to thank ya'll for all your help thus far. You guys have been amazing, couldnt have done anything Ive done so far without the help of this site and all the people on it. Appreciate ya'll.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:41 PM

Woot! My pleasure, now 'LET'S GET IT ON, C'MON!' hahaha. Sorry, just watching some UFC Unleached !lol.

Best wishes... I'll have to look back on what you're saying "you'll kill me" lol.... Hmmmm, be back ina lil bit! lol.Jk, ... you're gonna do a great job, Boosted... you have a good attitude, too! Sorry bout the having to wait... part of that biz! TRUST ME, I KNOW! lol.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Ya that's a common problem with machine shops. It took my guy a month to do mine. But he's by far the best in Montana. I just built some front leaf packs for mine. The mud bogs are this weekend at the fair grounds. Oh ya!! I hate mud but it's a lot of fun.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Boosted.... HURRY UP! hahaha, ...jk, ...<<<< that's how it always felt when I was trying to get it done, especially when I was waiting on stuff, haha.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Quick Reply: 87 'runner boosted's 4Runner SR5 build up thread