Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Tire Chains for bigger tires...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Chains for bigger tires...

Tis that time of year again, with over 2 feet of snow in the last couple days I've got snow wheeling adventures on my mind...But this year chains are definately going to required, so after checking online and calling local places I've found that according to most places my size tires don't exist. So my question is where do you find chains for 34x10.5s and also what type of chains aren't going to screw up my tires (have heard that big tread blocks don't like chains)? Thanks
Old 11-02-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, I suggest you make a trip from Bellingham to Canada - specifically Surrey which is just over the border for you. IN Surrey has a place called Midway tire & chain and they make chains for EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING. They make chains for hardcore huge tires to the smallest of tires and in all kinds of styles and sizes. They will do custom sizes too so you're in luck definately. Their website is right here http://www.midwaytire.com - don't do the tire form on their website though just call them. I have heard nothing but good things about them. Heard stories of guys who their forestry companies run them to local wheelers I know who run them, etc.
I got a set for my rear axle (if needed) of chains I picked up from a buddy who bought them from Midway and they are awesome super aggressive looking chains and extremely high quality. I think they ran about $150 a pair (canadian funds, so probably about $125 USD).
Old 11-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

ooh thats surrey though...Maybe I'll hit up the one in Burnaby next time I come up to see the fam...thanks for the input! I'll give em a call and see what they would run.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:30 PM

tirechains.com seems to have a large selection of different types of chains/cables in just about every size.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 PM

Hey ST- when are you coming up to see the family? You have relatives who are Canadian? I live in Coquitlam. I'd love to see some of the mods on your truck, specifically the headers & exhaust work. I just said Surrey because I figured it was the closest for you. I certainly don't advocate going there if you don't need to LOL.
You ever make the trip up to Stave Lake? That's a really popular wheeling place for the local crowd up here.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Contributing Member

Geoff,

Has Sarah taken out the 2nd gen yet? I'm still waitin' for pics by the way!

Fink
Old 11-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Coed-I'll probably be up there in a week or 2 to hit a hockey game and visit my cousins...yep I have family up there after all I'm from New West...truck probably wont be with me that time though as I'm dropping the 3rd to take it down and get my new gears set up here this coming week but I will be up there sometime soon with it...I'll drop you a line when I'm going to come up with it...never been to Stave lake, where abouts is it?
Chris-Sorry man I've been working off my laptop ever since the home computer made some loud noises then went boom and shut off...But I'll have them your way as son as it gets back (camera and lap top won't talk to eachother for some reason ) we've got a few good shots. The rig does pretty well on the trails for not having much lift/articulation. We're still in the process of fighting for that damn amp though so I'll probably be contacting you sometime because they'll probably want some info.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

My uncle cut down a set of old school bus chains for me. I've had them 20 years now. Had to drive over 200 miles once with all 4 chained. Steering wheel still has the fingerprints, and I've never been able to get the yellow stains off the passenger seat
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I run a set of SCC Z-Chains. I have one size under the largest and they fit my 33x10.50s with ease:

I really like the design, a zig-zag cable gives lots of tread coverage and they are super easy to install. I put them in buried to the axle in deep snow and did not even need to move the truck. They unclip 2 places in back and one place in front.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:23 PM

ST - yeah unfortunately in a week I'll be up north so a no go for me. Stave Lake is about 45 minutes east of Vancouver. IF you go to bc4x4.com and view the board you'll find all sorts of posts and info about Stave Lake. It's sort of the local testing grounds for wheelers to fart around. So you were born in Canada? Or just lived up here for a while?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

I was born up there...Dunno when I'll actually be heading up but I'll let you know when i do I may have to head up to the game early and do a little wheeling. How are the RCMP with muddy trucks/mudflaps etc?
Old 11-04-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
ST - yeah unfortunately in a week I'll be up north so a no go for me. Stave Lake is about 45 minutes east of Vancouver. IF you go to bc4x4.com and view the board you'll find all sorts of posts and info about Stave Lake. It's sort of the local testing grounds for wheelers to fart around. So you were born in Canada? Or just lived up here for a while?
Whats yer username on bc4x4?

I'm heading up with the group going to whipsaw... have to buy some chains.

Anyone try or have opinions on these? http://www.flextrax.com