Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5eK5OnHfqA

Good video on a DIY Rim painting. Bonus Yota wheels
Old 11-30-2009, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Teuf
I have tried sanding mine, and with the irregular surfaces its impossible to get a clean look. I just think a quick sand B would save time n agony.
When I painted my limited wheels black, I didn't get it right until the third try. Here were my mistakes.

1. I had them primed and painted, but there were scratches that were still showing through and that bugged the crap out of me. I sanded them back down and started over

2. I used the self etching primer and it didn't want to stick to the rims. After letting it sit for a few hours, it could still be peeled off. I didn't like the idea of sanding this elastic like layer of primer so I bought some industrial strength paint remover by Jasco.

3. I love this stuff. It's very toxic and will burn like a million ants biting you if you get even a speck of it on your skin, but it will take off any old paint, and most importantly, the CLEAR COAT. The scratches I talked about during my first attempt were all in the clear coat. When it was down to bare metal, I had a clean surface to prep and spray with the dupont wheel paint.

I have had people stop me at gas stations and red lights to ask me what type of wheels I am running or if I painted them or had them powdercoated so I did something right.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:05 AM

i didnt even really prep mine, just scotched them, then hit them with some krylon gloss, 1 coat, still holding well with no chips or anything

Old 12-17-2009, 07:19 AM

wow just the thread i was looking for..but can you guys clarify stuff for me??

i have a 1999 3rd gen 4run sr5. it has the design that was in the video posted above

I am completely new to paint and priming stuff. so any tips would be helpful

ALSO, can i leave my tire on the rims when i do this? what should i do to protect the tire? ill take the whole tire off but i wouldnt be able to take of the tire

ONE MORE THING, is there a picture around there ( i searched everywhere) i wanna see how my 4runner will look after the black out rims, i want to know because its a black 4runner but it has chrome bumpers, i just dont want it to look funny

Last edited by bak3rme; 12-17-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bak3rme
wow just the thread i was looking for..but can you guys clarify stuff for me??

i have a 1999 3rd gen 4run sr5. it has the design that was in the video posted above

I am completely new to paint and priming stuff. so any tips would be helpful

ALSO, can i leave my tire on the rims when i do this? what should i do to protect the tire? ill take the whole tire off but i wouldnt be able to take of the tire

ONE MORE THING, is there a picture around there ( i searched everywhere) i wanna see how my 4runner will look after the black out rims, i want to know because its a black 4runner but it has chrome bumpers, i just dont want it to look funny
Just watch the video and do what it says. Its a pretty thorough process if you go by the video standards. You can leave the tire on and just tape newspaper or use the index card trick (see below) on it to protect it from the paint.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
or you can go buy cragar soft 8 for cheap? hah
Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 AM

ok so i was thinking, i dont want to go all out black, i wanted maybe a gun metal grey or a dark dark shade of gray, does anyone have pictures out there of a black 3rd gen 4runner black on dark gray or black rims
Old 12-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bak3rme
ok so i was thinking, i dont want to go all out black, i wanted maybe a gun metal grey or a dark dark shade of gray, does anyone have pictures out there of a black 3rd gen 4runner black on dark gray or black rims
Since I have a dark green 4R, I just pulled a B&W photo off my site. This is what I'd consider semi-gloss black. Check out www.rimpainter.com/gallery if you want to see more examples of vehicles with various color schemes. I personally find a black vehicle with the gloss black wheel option more attractive, generally speaking, than the flat-black option. But both look good.