Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Survival pack (food)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:28 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Survival pack (food)

With the addition of the M-Pack rack and packs on my rear door, I want to make one of the bigger ones a survival type pack with food and a stove.

I have a lot of backpacking gear which includes a small Camping Gaz lantern and stove that run off of the disposable blue butane/propane mix cartridges.

I can throw those, some plastic forks/spoons, and other food into the pack.

The pack could be for emergencies like a natural disaster.
I know they sell packs already equipped, but I may as well take advantage of the packs on the rear door.

What else would you carry in one as far as freeze dried food from Mountain House?
Protein bars, what else?

If a disaster hit while I was at work, the vending machines and cafeteria food would go fast, and we have been advised to have our own backup plan.

Also stuff such as flashlights is already covered, I have about 4 of them scattered around the rig.

The pack will not need to contain shelter or clothing, that can be stored in the rig loosely.
Same as bottled water, it can be stored in the rig as well.

The pack is mainly going to be for food.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should think about the food pyramid and what it says we need, thats what I did when packing mine. If you are in a real survival situation you may have to hike out whick will require you to be in top notch shape.

I know some of this this will add weight over freeze dried food but you won't waste precious water to prepare.

I carry
a few cans of french cut green beans
a few cans of sliced peaches
a few cans of bushes beans
beef jerkey
dried mangos

other stuff that I like. coccoa, candy, smores supplys.....mmmmmmm smores.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Shopping Cart
PRODUCT UNIT PRICE QUANTITY SAVINGS TOTAL
Mountain House Granola With Blueberries
1 SERVING
REI Item# 5101210010 $4.00
Update
Remove
$1.20 $10.80

Mountain House Precooked Scrambled Eggs with Butter For One

REI Item# 7140260014 $3.95
Update
Remove
$0.80 $7.10

Mary Janes Farm Organic Thai Fusion
1.5 SERVINGS
REI Item# 7605760011 $7.25
Update
Remove
$1.46 $13.04

Mountain House Pasta Primavera For Two
2 SERVINGS
REI Item# 5101370012 $6.00
Update
Remove
$2.40 $21.60

Mountain House Potatoes and Cheese with Broccoli For Two
2 SERVINGS
REI Item# 6685480011 $5.00
Update
Remove
$1.50 $13.50

U.S. Standard shipping = $8.99

Get info on taxes. Merchandise Subtotal: $66.04
Got all the freeze dried stuff ordered, and also a few extra MSR 113 gram gas cartridges.

Will pick up plastic forks/spoons at Safeway, along with some bottled water to use to boil on the stove for reconstituting the freeze dried stuff, and see what they have for granola bars.

This should be good for a 4 day stay for myself.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Here is a blurb on it, just finished adding it to the rig.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f135...l#post50682686
Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Instant noodles/Ramen are cheap and light. Instant rice, soup, smashed potatoes are handy to have as well. All of these items will store indefinately as long as they're kept dry. Tupperware is your friend That said, I'd prolly still roate the food out of the storage stash every year or so.

Think about readily available foods that are easy to cook. Back in the day when 'magic pantry' was popular, we'd keep those in the stash. Keeps without refridgeration, and tastes like real food. Almost.

Last edited by 86tuning; 11-30-2007 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 86tuning
Instant noodles/Ramen are cheap and light. Instant rice, soup, smashed potatoes are handy to have as well. All of these items will store indefinately as long as they're kept dry. Tupperware is your friend That said, I'd prolly still roate the food out of the storage stash every year or so.

Think about readily available foods that are easy to cook. Back in the day when 'magic pantry' was popular, we'd keep those in the stash. Keeps without refridgeration, and tastes like real food. Almost.
Top ramen has an expiration date. I didn't think it did but my wife just proved me wrong. I wonder what else she keeps in that pretty little head. I mean she calls me tools the things, or what-cha-ma-call-it. I hope she dosent know how to look at my yotatech posts.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by sdstud212001
I hope she dosent know how to look at my yotatech posts.
You may be barking before to long

Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Brigade Quartermaster catalog features some serious survival food, like MilSpec MREs (Meal Ready to Eat) which feature everything, including heating elements and dessert and coffee. Check out http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/ta...Fresults%2Etam
They also sell emergency ration bars that will keep you alive stranded at sea. It's a bar with all the vitamins, minerals and protein to replace food in extreme situations.
http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/ta...Fresults%2Etam
Maybe too extreme. They also sell water rations, with a 50 year lifespan, in little pouches. Cool stuff to check out.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:35 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can last a LONG time without food.

Use the space for water. Without it, you are a goner in no time.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:21 PM

My list:

Beef Jerky
Dried Bananas
Dried Apples
Trail Mix
24 case of water bottles, and some crystal light packets

and cigarettes. Because I hate stress.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Ramen (or any cup o soup) lasts a long time, so what if the noodles get stale a little, seal them & they'll last longer. Put a jar of dry roasted peanuts in there & some powdered soup mixes; I just bought a pack of broccoli & cheese soup mix at Walmart for a couple bucks that makes nearly a gallon of soup & is about the size of a peanut butter sandwich when seperated into single portions in ziploc bags. Dried beans will feed you a long time & keep for a long time as well. Basically anything an ultra-light backpacker would take will suit the needs of a survival pack.

I also agree with the above poster who says water is a much more urgent need. I have the Katadyn hiker pro & it has served me very well; in fact it continues to filter my water on my hiking trips to this day (well as of last week it was still working after three years,no reason to think it has stopped lol) I also have an MSR MIOX pen for extra security.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tc
You can last a LONG time without food.

Use the space for water. Without it, you are a goner in no time.
x2

You can go at least a week without food.

I think bottled water is a good start, but throw in an eye dropper of bleach, or a backpacking water filter. I have both in my "kit"

Also, use the space for ammo. If the crap hits the fan, I imagine there won't be too many game wardens checking to see if you have a tag.

2-3 days worth of food is probably good, if you are outdoors and working, plan on 3-4000 cals per day. If you are just sitting around waiting, you can comfortably get by on about half that.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:08 PM

I usually just keep corn nuts original (lack the preservatives, MSG and the other junk that's in the flavored ones) and peanuts. Both are pretty light and keep a few months, they have some salt, and don't really care how hot it gets

But, like the posters above, I always keep plenty of water, usually 4-6 gallons in my truck and I usually carry about 2 gallons for a weekend backpacking trip. Obviously, this is much more necessary in the summer/desert, but I ran out of water dragging a buck down Laguna Mt. this last season (didn't bring enough, since it was cold and overcast didn't worry about it) and after several hours with a lot of exertion, I wasn't yet in an emergency or anything, but if I hadn't stumbled across some mountain bikers, I might have just had to leave the buck and hike out.

As for the ' hits the fan' I'd love to keep my girlfriend's 20 gauge single barrel in my truck as a sort of rugged survival piece, but the risk of the fascists at University of California finding it in my truck and assuming I was planning some kind of rampage with it makes it not worth it.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:28 AM

I agree with the concentrate on water more than food for an emergency situation. You can a lot longer without food then you can without water. I drove up north by myslef and was expecting major snow storms. I had bottled water under the seats, sardines, dried fruit, extra blankets, cellphone charger, flares etc etc.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

one bad thing with carrying food (any kind) is it will attract insects. even in a properly sealed container (i found out the hard way). Water would probably be a more useful item cause you need more water than food to survive. a little bit of food never hurt, but water is vital for survival.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

For an emergency pack what foods will last the longest in storage?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
Water would probably be a more useful item cause you need more water than food to survive. a little bit of food never hurt, but water is vital for survival.
I have lots of water in the rig right now, but it is frozen
It got down to 22 F overnight.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 AM

That MPack looks great! Good old MRE's always work well for emergency food
Old 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gilby4runner
For an emergency pack what foods will last the longest in storage?
Dried foods really. Beans, rice, freeze dried camping food, canned stuff, etc.

Oh and to prevent water from freezing: wrap in aluminum foil, then wrap in towel as insulation. Or keep it in a soft cooler.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by shane4x4
That MPack looks great! Good old MRE's always work well for emergency food
Thanks, I really dig it.
The guy who posted up the info on it has sold a ton to FJ Cruiser owners.

Originally Posted by CJM
Oh and to prevent water from freezing: wrap in aluminum foil, then wrap in towel as insulation. Or keep it in a soft cooler.
Thanks, will have to give that a try.
Right now the water (2x6 or 2x12 packs, I forget what I bought ) is in the stock plastic wrap that holds the bottles together.