3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

need 3.4 swap wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need 3.4 swap wiring help

Hey guys I got everything in the truck the engine is sitting nice all bolted to the trany and new clutch installed. Well my question is what am I splicing the two plug in (one is grey one is white) that are kind of behind where the ecu bolts in? This is on a 93 3.0 5speed with a 97 3.4 5speed I thought I could do it my self but it just hair pulling
Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/old/...swap_harnesses
http://www.toyonlyswaps.com/Page_4.html

or start reading and see what others have done.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 94playtoy v6
Hey guys I got everything in the truck the engine is sitting nice all bolted to the trany and new clutch installed. Well my question is what am I splicing the two plug in (one is grey one is white) that are kind of behind where the ecu bolts in? This is on a 93 3.0 5speed with a 97 3.4 5speed I thought I could do it my self but it just hair pulling
I'm sorry no one is going to tell you exactly how to do this. Every wiring situation is different down to connector names, pin locations, and wire colors. There are several great thread here discussing the wiring at length. Yotatech has the most complete section on 3.4 swaps on the internet.

Pro tip: Get a $15 48 hour membership to TIS website and download manuals for your doner and recipient, and learn to read an electric wiring diagram (EWD).

Best of luck on your swap. Post up some pictures sometime!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ this x a zillion

:wabbit2:
Old 05-30-2012, 10:07 AM

Iv read for months and its not the wiring thats scares me (im a journey man) but I just need to know what plugs I am spliceing it seems like I'm taking the t100 dash harness plug and firing it to my pikc up. and also the grey plug I just want to if this is correct and I don't know how to post pictures on a Android phone haha
Old 05-30-2012, 10:36 AM

This is what info I used to get it done.
1. Wiring diagram from the truck that the 3.4 engine came from (Auto).
2. Wiring diagram from the truck that the 3.4 ECU manual came from.
3. Wiring diagram from the truck I put the engine into. (95 4runner)

The rest is a lot of matching, eat and sleep wiring thoughts and dreams.

Allow plenty of time to do wiring. Someday, I only get one connection done. There's plenty of "how to" here. You just have to pick and choose which info you can use.

This site helps me to realize that I have the one ton ECU...
http://wholesale.toyotapartsandservi..._Computers.pdf

Bottom line, get info then ask about how to put the info together.

Last edited by anthony1; 05-30-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM

Iv read for months and its not the wiring thats scares me (im a journey man) but I just need to know what plugs I am spliceing it seems like I'm taking the t100 dash harness plug and firing it to my pikc up. and also the grey plug I just want to if this is correct and I don't know how to post pictures on a Android phone haha
Essentually you are taking the body harness from the recipient truck and you are going through all of those wires and finding their match with the donor harness. You can either re-pin the harness or make an adapter.

I ended up making an adapter that took 3 plugs from the donor and adapted it to 2 plugs on the recipient.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
like this. Yellow wire is run to the starter and green with fuse is for power to OBD2 port. Short green wire is ground.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:54 AM

Ok thanks guys kind of claierifies things. I'm just doing other things to releave some stress on the wires Haha like doing the exhuast and doing the intake and such kind of sucks because I just got them finished
Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 AM

Oh and the grey plug off the t100 plugs rightinto my pick up plug
Old 05-30-2012, 02:13 PM

Oh and the grey plug off the t100 plugs rightinto my pick up plug

As a word of caution, be sure to check the two EWDs to make sure that those connectors are pin-compatible. That is, make sure the function of each wire on the two sides of the connector are the same, or at least similar. The last thing you'll want to do is blindly plug the two together and hope it works, for all you know Toyota may have swapped a +12V and GND wire between the two applications and now you've just shorted +12V to GND and blown a fuse somewhere (if you're lucky).

Don't just assume that because they connect, that they are wired the same.

And good luck with the wiring, it really isn't too bad once you get into it, the hardest part is deciphering the EWDs.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:35 PM

Make sure you check the pins as Sacrunner mentioned above. I had a plug that would have physically plugged in but when I checked the EWD's the pins were different.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Ya I just have 2 chiltons manuels and they don't tell me what plug it is
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Ya I just have 2 chiltons manuels and they don't tell me what plug it is

You need to pay 15.00 to the TIS site and download all the manuals you want for two days.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM

I just posted this yesterday in another thread...
Originally Posted by SacRunner
I can't help you with any useful information about the chilton's guides, but my gut feeling is that they wouldn't be able to provide the detailed info that you would need.

Correct, don't assume that someone else's pin numbers are the same as yours...unless you find someone who has the EXACT same donor motor as you, year, model, body style (single vs ext cab), 4x4 vs 4x2, and M/T vs A/T.

My advice, spend the $15 for a 48 hour subscription to TIS (https://techinfo.toyota.com) and then spend a couple hours for a couple nights downloading everything you can from your donor and your recipient truck: EWD (Electronic Wiring Diagram), Repair Manual, and any of the extras they offer that could be fun. Other's have suggested downloading the adjacent years also, which could be useful but I was lucky and was able to do everything with just the two sets.

Watch the tutorial videos before you sign up, the site can be a bit confusing to navigate, but the tutorials really did help.

With all the money you have spent (or will spend) on this swap, that $15 will be one of the cheapest things you can buy from Toyota, yet will be the most useful. And as been said before, you can't study those wiring diagrams enough.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...estion-252682/ Starting at post #22.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 PM

So I got the tech info account and got a lot of usable stuff for the 3.4 side harness but can't find anything on the pick up side body harness
Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 PM

So I got the tech info account and got a lot of usable stuff for the 3.4 side harness but can't find anything on the pick up side body harness
I take it that you've found the info for 96 and up but the 94, there's no info on the pickup? What about 4runner? I believe, they are the same as the pickup...but I'm not sure.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM

There's nothing under "pickup" so I went under truck bitstill can not get the body harness and I checked for 91 up to 95 ill Check for runners in a bit but this is the only thing holding me upp
Old 05-31-2012, 06:35 PM

I don't remember exactly where TIS has it, but when I downloaded all my manuals/EWDs I tried to maintain the same directory structure they had.

Any way, the diagrams of the body side connectors on the 3.0L engine harness are listed:
...\Power_Source_Network\Electrical_Wiring_Routing \connecto.pdf

They were called IH1 and IH2 for my '91 4Runner (they may or may not be called the same thing on the pickups).
Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 AM

I found the page I need but can not get it on tis

Quick Reply: need 3.4 swap wiring help