3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Elvota's 3.4 swap

Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Got a bit more done today.

Started to pull the 3.0 when I realized there is no way with my SAS and 35's my borrowed engine hoist was going to get it out of there. I am a little slow sometimes.

So, midway through, I took off the wheels and lowered the front end a bit:

Then as the engine started to come out, I realized that there is no way I was going to have everything clear with the headers still on.... so those came off mid hoist. Then I realized the radiator was in harms way... so that came out. Then I realized I couldn't go up anymore, and I couldn't get the truck any lower...

So, there I was... half way done with nowhere to go. Eventually, I was able to push the 4Runner back a few inches and then lower and raise and move and push and lower and move... you get the idea. Next time I'll make sure I don't have anything above me before I pull a motor.

Anyway, mandatory empty engine bay shot:

Did realize after that my engine mounts from the 3.0 where shot, so ordered another pair of those. Spendy suckers. My wishful goal of $2000 for the project seems to be rapidly vanishing. I knew it wasn't very practical, but figured I shoot for it anyway. Hopefully I can bring back down the final bill with the sale of leftovers.

I wonder if others who have undertaken this project before have ever looked into their garage and asked themselves, "How on earth am I going to get all that sorted out and back in my rig??"

I was able to clean up (relative term) the tranny a bit and fix the bad threads I had on the bell where the slave cylinder bolts on. Installed some stiffer Marlin shifter springs in the rear case.

Anyone know what this "Mystery" fitting would have been for? Big pic for reference first:

It seems like a vacuum line, but was capped:

I'd rather just eliminate it with a bolt instead of the cap, but was wondering what it once led to or it's purpose. Any guesses? [Edit: Turns out this line used to be run to the original V6 gear driven case as a vent. Should have remembered that in the first place. ]

Also started cleaning up some of the extra or sloppy wiring I had done in the past. I may remove the ABS system which I abandoned when I went to discs. If I can find a high pressure PS line to replace the existing I most definitely will.

Tomorrow the plan is to weld up a frame gusset on the inside rail for the steering box. I have some cracking going on at the bolts which I fixed temporarily before. Will be swapping the 3.0 oil pan and related to the 3.4. Figuring out the alternator situation and try to find a local source for a high pressure power steering line.

So far so good.

Last edited by Elvota; 12-07-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed the ABS actuator from my truck and then used the lines from a non abs equipped 4runner. Did a bit of a writeup here:
http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?t...ht=ABS+removal

Last edited by neoworm0; 11-27-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neoworm0
I removed the ABS actuator from my truck and then used the lines from a non abs equipped 4runner.
Now that is a great idea!! Would solve a lot of problems. I'll have to figure out where to find one.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:49 PM

I kept my eyes open for someone parting a truck. I went to the dealer first but you don't want to know what they wanted. LOL. Keep the progress reports coming. I think I'm going to be doing this swap VERY soon. Sorry can't help you with that fitting. I don't recall seeing that on my tranny.

Last edited by neoworm0; 11-27-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by neoworm0
I kept my eyes open for someone parting a truck. I went to the dealer first but you don't want to know what they wanted. LOL.
Yeah... I read your thread. Dealer price is insane!!!

Would be nice to clean up that area. Hadn't thought about removing the rest of the electronics as well. Was just looking at that ABS relay today on the fender and wondered what it was for.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah I took mine out too:

https://www.yotatech.com/912696-post60.html
Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 PM

Tell you what, the only things that are still under my hood, that where there prior to the swap, are obviously everything from the core support/radiator forward, the brake booster, Fuse Box and the A/C compressor EVERYTHING else is GONE or 3.4 parts and i mean everything including all heater hoses, and vacumn lines

Makes it really really clean install. If i could get my battery and air box permentently mounted in place it would be almost perfect

Last edited by thefallman; 11-28-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah I took mine out too:
Exactly what I want to ditch. Funny though, yours looks so new... mine looks like a giant dirt clod stuck on top of the frame rail.

I went scrounging today for a non-ABS power steering line at some salvage yards, but no luck. Most of the Toyota's were picked clean and the ones I found with parts left were all ABS equipped.

I noticed the vacuum idle control is integrated into the banjo on the 3.4, but on the pump itself with the 3.0. My thought is to get a new line made for the swap.

Steering box end from the 3.0, and the banjo end from the 3.4. Then I could eliminate the ABS box and have a pretty clean install when complete. I am finding a few leads on local hydraulic hose manufacturers. I'll post up what I end up doing.

Last edited by Elvota; 11-29-2007 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:34 PM

Steve I think there are a couple custom hose places out this way, but I only vaguely think I remember where they are. I'll try to look into it tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Steve I think there are a couple custom hose places out this way, but I only vaguely think I remember where they are. I'll try to look into it tomorrow.
Any possible sources you can pass my way would be of great help.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:09 PM

Found one of them. Granberry Supply Corp. No website but they have a yellow page ad on Dex if you type them in. 3 locations. Couldn't link the ad for some reason. I haven't been in there but they look promising.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Found one of them. Granberry Supply Corp. No website but they have a yellow page ad on Dex if you type them in. 3 locations. Couldn't link the ad for some reason. I haven't been in there but they look promising.
Thanks for the research. I got that company from IH8MUD as well... seems like these guys may be the way to go.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elvota

I went scrounging today for a brake line at some salvage yards, but no luck. Most of the Toyota's were picked clean and the ones I found with parts left were all ABS equipped.
You don't want a junk yard brake line. They aren't too expensive at the dealer, IIRC around $30 complete with fittings and pre-bent to fit all the turns. As much trouble as it is to replace the rear brake line you want a new one, plus stopping is very important
Old 11-29-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

You don't want a junk yard brake line. They aren't too expensive at the dealer, IIRC around $30 complete with fittings and pre-bent to fit all the turns. As much trouble as it is to replace the rear brake line you want a new one, plus stopping is very important
Whoops... typo. I meant to say I went looking for a non-ABS power steering line.

I already have the ABS eliminated, and a line to the rear, when I did my disc swap. So I just need to reroute the PS line at this point.

Sorry for the confusion. I have edited the original post.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Whoops... typo. I meant to say I went looking for a non-ABS power steering line.

I already have the ABS eliminated, and a line to the rear, when I did my disc swap. So I just need to reroute the PS line at this point.

Sorry for the confusion. I have edited the original post.
Oh good, I was worried about you being way too cheap there for a minute

Mike @ ORS might sell you just the high pressure PS hose if you ask him, his hose is so nice because the ends are already clocked just right for the 3.4 PS pump and 3.0 steering gear box.

Last edited by mt_goat; 11-29-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh good, I was worried about you being way too cheap there for a minute

Mike @ ORS might sell you just the high pressure PS hose if you ask him, his hose is so nice because the ends are already clocked just right for the 3.4 PS pump and 3.0 steering gear box.
this is exactly what i did aswell. its a great line and bolts right up. get the non-power steering line and that will solve that for you. it doesnt have the banjo for the idle up but i dont think its too big a deal.

Your garage reminds me of mine during those stages of my swap. once you start doing it all you realize that its actualy not to hard to do this stuff as you may have once thought it was crazy
Old 11-29-2007, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

I may end up going with the ORS hose. it is listed on their site as a separate item. I'll see what I can dig up locally first.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any possible sources you can pass my way would be of great help.

Call these guys if you haven't yet.
Toyotas "R" Us
3224 south 40th st.
602-437-1222
they use to be a pick-n-pull, but not now. My brother has a 4runner and got quite a few parts from them for a pretty decent price.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AZkid
Call these guys if you haven't yet.
Toyotas "R" Us
Thanks for the lead. I should call them.

I used to have decent luck there as well, that's actually where I got my front axle for the SAS. But after they strayed from the "pull your own" style I have never really found the attitude or service to be the best. But... beggars can't be choosers.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Getting a little closer. Won't have the motor mounts until Monday, so I am doing what I can.

Pulled the ABS PS lines and monster block assembly. I have a lead on a local company that can use the pump end of my 3.4 and the box end of my 3.0 lines... or so they say. When I get the motor in I'll be able to get some measurements. Would be a nice way to go because I would retain the 3.4 idle up function. Guess we'll see.

Emptier bay:

Welded my power steering box gusset on the frame rail. The SAS and harder trails comes some unique failures. My box was starting to crack at the inside mounts, so figured with the engine out this would be the time to address the problem.

Gusset ready to go:

Frame ready to go:

Welded and ready to bolt back together:

Keep pulling out wires and extra parts. Pretty amazing how much I am learning about what goes where and what service that part does. A 3.4 swap sure is a great way to learn about one's vehicle.

Last edited by Elvota; 01-31-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Elvota's 3.4 swap