Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

vibration...help

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vibration...help

Hi guys,
I have a '92 3.0 Auto 4WD 4runner.
When I lift off the gas pedal at speeds higher than 57mph (like when coasting down an incline or slowing down) I get a vibration from what seems like the transmission. The vibration gets worse when lifting off the pedal at higher speeds. Anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

Other than the vibration, it doesn't seem to do anything weird. So no whining or other sounds. Nothing leaking, fluids are ok,...

J.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Crawl underneath your truck and give the drive shaft a wiggle, if it moves excessively chances are its your Ujoints. I just did mine not to long ago. Had the EXACT same symptoms.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Banned

before i even scrolled down and saw yota4runner's post, i thought, u joint
Old 05-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Check u-joints, slip yoke and the pinion and t-case flanges for looseness. There should be none.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Banned

Just went through all this... and am still fighting off some vibration.

Pull the drive shaft and check for play on either flange. Check your u-joints. This is something you should get on top of quick. The front u-joint broke apart on me doing 70 mph. Very exciting for any thrill seeker!!!
Old 05-23-2005, 10:48 AM

i just replaced one of mine (rear u-joint on the rear drive shaft). fixed the rumble/vibration that occured when i let off the gas just enough to relieve the stress off of it. however, the shop i took it was honest and told me to take it somewhere else to do the front (front joint on the rear drive shaft) as they didn't really know how to tackle it. anyone know how hard it is to do? i am now having the same thing, but it is def. the joint just mentioned.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by bflooks
i just replaced one of mine (rear u-joint on the rear drive shaft). fixed the rumble/vibration that occured when i let off the gas just enough to relieve the stress off of it. however, the shop i took it was honest and told me to take it somewhere else to do the front (front joint on the rear drive shaft) as they didn't really know how to tackle it. anyone know how hard it is to do? i am now having the same thing, but it is def. the joint just mentioned.
Its not hard, I did the front and the back. A hammer a screw driver and a big socket is all I used. Just make sure to snugly hold the opposite side cap on when putting them back in or you end up with bearings everywhere.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:11 PM

sounds straight forward. i shall take a better look this weekend...if the rain will ever stop up here near boston. thanks for the help.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:12 PM

Thanks for all the input. When I am checking U joints, should I have the tranny in neutral? I don't feel any play in the shaft at all right now, will look into the other parts when I get a chance.
J
Old 05-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Usually neutral and e-brake off. Check for any up-down or side-side play at the flanges, slip yoke and u-joints. Sometimes the u-joints are easier to check unbolted from the flange. Give each side a twist and feel for roughness/notchiness or looseness as the move.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:15 AM

The vibration your talking about...is it a slight forward-backward (chugga chugga) kinda vibration?...almost as if it's sputtering or wiggling but only slightly (barely noticeable)? and with absolutely no strange noise.

and if you step on the gas it goes away? or if you roll at a slower speed it doesn't do it?

cause I have that problem on mine (2002 4Runner Sport 4x4) and mine only does it between 50-60 mph...and I'll be damn if I can figure it out?

-B
Old 05-31-2005, 11:10 PM

BADLNDS,
The vibration I experience is like going over a mini-washboard. No front to back motion, it's as if the truck was on a shake (quake) table with the vibration coming through the seat and gas pedal mainly.

Getting on the accelerator and coasting below 57mph, it goes away.
Gets worse with speed (i.e. coasting faster than 57mph).

Still haven't had a chance to check mine out yet, working 10hr days lately. I haven't been driving it, just to be safe.
J
Old 06-01-2005, 06:05 AM

thanks for the reply...mine is definately a different vibration than that. I'll have to do my own post to see if i can get some feedback.

-B