Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Tranny problems 2nd and reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny problems 2nd and reverse

Hey I am starting to have problems when down shiftting into 2nd gear (not up shiftting from 1st). Sometimes it does not want to go into 2nd, feels hard, and sometimes it grinds the gear before going in. Other times it is silky smooth when down shiftting into 2nd. This happens when I am slowing down to make a corner, or comming to a stop at a light, or when I'm in the hoorible DC area traffic when I have to shift like a mad man (stop go stop go, I know some of you have it just as bad where you live).

Also reverse is starting to act up. It grinds its way in. I find that if I bump 1st gear (not put it into 1st, just bump the syncro) it will go in smooth, but not all the time.

Tranny fluid was just changed last March, so the fluid is not old. And I checked the level last oil change, also greased the drive shafts.
Anyone have any other suggestions. I can feel a re-build comming on but I don't have the cash for that right now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello PirateFins, did you figure what was wrong? I kind of have the same problem but mostly when Im shifting from 1st to 2nd and 3rd, down shifting is a little better. The reverse gear is just like you described, grids into gear...
Old 09-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Contributing Member

try amsoil series 2000 or BG Synchroshift... I head the BG Synchroshift can work wonders for problems like these (just check neweclipse.org) but i've never used it myself. By the way, the synchroshift is only a GL4 lube so i'm not sure where/if you can even use it in a 'yota but the mitsubishi guys like it a lot. Also, I switched over to amsoil 75w90 in my tranny and really felt a difference after about 500 miles.. or mabye the difference was there right away i just wasn't paying attention Before i used to grind just a little bit between the gears when switching (almost seemed normal) but the shift was not as smooth. Now with amsoil stuff in there the shifter just glides right in and there are no other noises; seems very smooth. I put some in my buddie's eclipse today and he said it was like night and day.

Also, shifting from 2nd to first is a LOT easier with this stuff... at least on my rig.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yah, and about the grinding when trying to get into reverse... try going to 4th first.. (if you have a 5spd) and then straight to reverse.... i don't know why, but ever since i started doing this i've never grinded going into reverse...

so come to a stop... shift into 4th and keep the clutch pressed in.. and then shift into reverse.. and then go..
Old 09-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, think I'm gonna change the gear oils in the tranny and transfer case (hard to shift too) first.

I couldnt get the fill plugs off, so I took it to pep boys, the guy there said they wouldnt change it because I have 223k on it, he said leave it! He even bet its gonna leak if I changed it! I didnt even tell him I wanted to use amsoil.... guess I'm gonna have to take it to the stealership... its like $34 for each differential and $40 something for the tranny!! Just cant get those bolts off!!! Thanks though
Old 09-28-2003, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

no; u know what.. i had exactly the same problem and i have over 230k on my pickup.

apparently the places where i've taken it to before were complete idiots and WAY overtightened stuff...

anyways, so didn't know how to get the plugs off and was really inexperienced and took it to a shop and there they did stuff to loosen 3 screws for me.. cost me $20... one screw was so deformed i don't have a clue how they got it off... there was a lot of hammering though

anyways, since then, i've learned... if your screws are in good shape and are just really tight .. go buy either a long steel pipe that will fit right around your ratchet or buy a breaker bar, either way, it will give you a LOT more power and just push/pull the crap out of it and your screw(s) will come loose.

good luck

ps, don't waste money on something you can either do yourself or you can spend the same money to buy more equipment to do it yourself.. eventually you'll have all the equipment you could ever need (that's me)

Last edited by ByThaBay; 09-28-2003 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Ok bythabay... I'll go down there again.... I've got bigger wrenches... tried the hammer....soaked it in pb blaster & liquid wrench that made the paint come off the differentials...still cant get any off!! tranny, transfer & the differentials.... broke two bolts when I was taking the fender off yesterdat..... redrilled and used another bolt to bolt it in so my fender wont move. Thanks again! I'll try it later today!

Last edited by cabbage; 09-28-2003 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2003, 07:13 AM
Contributing Member

Will a impact wrench work better?
Old 09-28-2003, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by cabbage
oh ya that how i got the bolts off for my nerf bars. broke my hand tools, took it to my work and the bolts came right off with the air gun

careful though
Old 09-29-2003, 05:00 PM

Any other issues that might indicate clutch problems? My Runner was doing similar things and changing the clutch solved them. The clutch was not totally releasing and that is why the gears would grind going into reverse. I don't think There is a synchro into reverse so if the clutch does not totally release it is trying to move the input shaft.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Really oldsub86? Maybe I should blead the cluch master cylinder again... the brake fluid looks pretty dark, I changed the master cylinder early this year because the old one was leaking, think the reason the fluid turned dark is because of the new seal on the master cylinder.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by cabbage
When I first tried to put my grille guard on I had to go to a local gas station and ask them to unscrew the necessary bolts. They charged me $5 for it (psh!)
Old 09-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
When I first tried to put my grille guard on I had to go to a local gas station and ask them to unscrew the necessary bolts. They charged me $5 for it (psh!)
But.... it worked right?