Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Royal Purple Oil....Anyone use it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royal Purple Oil....Anyone use it?

Just wondering if anyone uses Royal Purple motor oil. Do you like it, dislike it, etc? Notice any performance benefits?
Old 07-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use it. I have it in both diffs, XF case, transmission, and 10W30 in the engine. Acutally, I use 2q of RP and 3.5q of mobil 1 each oil change to make my stash last longer and to still give the engine the benefits of the RP life span. I got all of mine for free last year from a rep that I gave about $400,000 worth of contracts to for work. I got 10 qts of 80w90 gear lube, 20 qts of ATF, and 12 qts of 10w30. He wanted me to try it out to win me over. That, and I guess he appreciated the profit margin he made on my business I gave him. Can't beat the price.

I noticed much smoother drivetrain and about a 0.5-1.0 gain in gas mileage. It's expensive, but worth it. According to the local BG rep (people who make BG44K engine cleaner) who has had thier lab test everything from Amsoil to RP to M1, Amsoil beats the M1, but the RP shows almost NO DEGREDATION after over 20k in an engine and leaves EVERYTHING else in the dust. That's directly from the BG lab in Kansas - not from the RP dealer.

If you can get a good deal on it, then go for it.

Last edited by bamachem; 07-24-2004 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:55 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

I've never used Royal Purple oil but it's a full synthetic oil so it should perform like Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetics. Pricewise, Mobil 1 is your best bet but Amsoil and Royal Purple have loyal followers even though their oil is 50% higher priced (I'm an Amsoil user).
Old 08-03-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Joe
I've never used Royal Purple oil but it's a full synthetic oil so it should perform like Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetics. Pricewise, Mobil 1 is your best bet but Amsoil and Royal Purple have loyal followers even though their oil is 50% higher priced (I'm an Amsoil user).

I use the AMSOIL. I have trouble buying a case of 6 quarts of Mobile 1 for $30 bucks when I can get a full case of 12 quarts (a real case) for less. You can get the AMSOIL XL-7500 full synthetic oil for $45 dollars if you are a preferred customer.The XL-7500 series good for 7500 miles or six months. A full case also gets you two oil changes. You do the math. I also just like the stuff. I use it in all my toys. I use the AMSOIL series 2000 0w-30 oil and there air and oil filters also. Great Stuff. www.puresynthetics.com
Old 08-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Joe
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ssyota
I use the AMSOIL. I have trouble buying a case of 6 quarts of Mobile 1 for $30 bucks when I can get a full case of 12 quarts (a real case) for less. You can get the AMSOIL XL-7500 full synthetic oil for $45 dollars if you are a preferred customer.The XL-7500 series good for 7500 miles or six months. A full case also gets you two oil changes. You do the math. I also just like the stuff. I use it in all my toys. I use the AMSOIL series 2000 0w-30 oil and there air and oil filters also. Great Stuff. www.puresynthetics.com
There's a huge difference between XL-7500 and Mobil 1. The XL-7500 is not a full synthetic in my opinion, that's the reason for the price difference. Amsoil will say their XL-7500 is a full synthetic as a legal civil case settled several years ago gave them the right to advertise as such. That particular legal case was between Castrol and Mobil 1 and Castrol won that case in court and Amsoil with their XL-7500 came in behind that ruling. The oils that have the legal right to call themselves "full synthetic," can be made from Group III base oils - a Group III has different characteristics from oils made from Group II or II+ base oil (Dino oil) as a Group III is a highly refined "petroleum product". The process is carried to the next level making it a little more costly but it also is a superior product. Someone from another forum posted these excellent sites, which further explains the difference:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/bas...gf4%5Ffaq.shtml

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/Bas...3_perform.shtml

A true synthetic in my opinion is a Group IV polyalphaolefin base oil with a small amount of Group V ester, not a Group III. Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1 are true synthetics. Castrol Syntec and Amsoil XL-7500 is a Group III, but has the legal right to be called a full synthetic. It's good oil, better than a blend, but not in the same league as Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Redline.

A typical synthetic blend contains a very small amount of synthetic, which will be a Group III or Group IV base oil, blended with Group I or Group II petroleum base oils. They really don't have enough synthetic to be worth their price. (Probably less than 10% synthetic base)

Amsoil 2000 series is a great full synthetic oil. The SDF filters do a great job of filtering and compliment the Series 2000 synthetic oil.

Last edited by Joe; 08-04-2004 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:32 AM
Contributing Member

Mobil1, Amsoil, or German Castrol anyday, RP continuosly shows some bad used oil analysis (along with good) and for the price i wouldnt buy it.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by ElwayLite
Mobil1, Amsoil, or German Castrol anyday, RP continuosly shows some bad used oil analysis (along with good) and for the price i wouldnt buy it.
Decided to try RP. Had AMSOIL 7500 in before. Used some Gunk engine flush and did the switch AND....
Unless I left the oil filter mighty loose, I've developed quite a leak, or some joker came and drained oil from the pan, my vehicle somehow consumed a whole pan full of Royal Purple 5w30 on a trip from Louisiana to NYC and a couple of weeks of driving after. I wish I'd gotten the Mobil1. Won't be messing with RP again.

:cry:

Last edited by RebuiltRunner; 08-12-2004 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Joe
There's a huge difference between XL-7500 and Mobil 1. The XL-7500 is not a full synthetic in my opinion, that's the reason for the price difference. Amsoil will say their XL-7500 is a full synthetic as a legal civil case settled several years ago gave them the right to advertise as such. That particular legal case was between Castrol and Mobil 1 and Castrol won that case in court and Amsoil with their XL-7500 came in behind that ruling. The oils that have the legal right to call themselves "full synthetic," can be made from Group III base oils - a Group III has different characteristics from oils made from Group II or II+ base oil (Dino oil) as a Group III is a highly refined "petroleum product". The process is carried to the next level making it a little more costly but it also is a superior product. Someone from another forum posted these excellent sites, which further explains the difference:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/bas...gf4%5Ffaq.shtml

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/Bas...3_perform.shtml

A true synthetic in my opinion is a Group IV polyalphaolefin base oil with a small amount of Group V ester, not a Group III. Amsoil, Redline and Mobil 1 are true synthetics. Castrol Syntec and Amsoil XL-7500 is a Group III, but has the legal right to be called a full synthetic. It's good oil, better than a blend, but not in the same league as Amsoil, Mobil 1 and Redline.

A typical synthetic blend contains a very small amount of synthetic, which will be a Group III or Group IV base oil, blended with Group I or Group II petroleum base oils. They really don't have enough synthetic to be worth their price. (Probably less than 10% synthetic base)

Amsoil 2000 series is a great full synthetic oil. The SDF filters do a great job of filtering and compliment the Series 2000 synthetic oil.

Ok so we will campare the differance two 6 quarts for a real case = $60.00 ruffly depending were you can buy it from and hOw long it took you to drive there.
Or a full case of 12 quarts of the SERIES 2000 for $58.80 whole sale. A little cheaper.Deliverd to your front door.
Then we can compare the whole drain interval comparison.

You take Castrol or Mobile 1 and we'll say that you are changing your oil every 5k. For 20k a year you will need 4 cases of Castrol or Mobile 1 = $120.

Then you take the AMSOIL and buy one case for $58.85 which will last you 2 oil changes so you only need half of the case that will last you 25k.( more miles)

So if you take the Castrol or Moble 1 its $ 240.00 to compare it right for 2yrs.
The AMSOIL at $ 58.85 that will last 2yrs.
YOU SAVE $181.15 give or take a couple bucks.
The bottom line is ALL THE SYNTHETICS ARE GOOD. It's all about which one
works for you. That's what makes this country so nice IT'S YOUR CHOICE.
I didn't even add in all the oil filters

MY CHOICE IS AMSOIL
http://www.puresynthetics.com

Last edited by ssyota; 08-12-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

You take Castrol or Mobile 1 and we'll say that you are changing your oil every 5k. For 20k a year you will need 4 cases of Castrol or Mobile 1 = $120.

So if you take the Castrol or Moble 1 its $ 240.00 to compare it right for 2yrs.

I don't have a problem paying $23 a case at Costco here for M1 and I change my oil at 7k intervals because I don't like leaving oil in my truck for much longer and since it's the lifeblood of the engine I wouldn't take a chance changing my oil every 20k or every two plus years for my driving,oil can get contaminated from being in a vehicle over a time period not just from mileage but from condensation in the engine and other particulates that the oil might not be able to contain since anything can happen plus more frequent oil changes can alert you to a possible big problem but to each his own.

I know I'm in the lower miles per year category so I realistically spend less than $50 a year for oil. I also like an oil that's readily available at any auto parts store or any Target/Wal-mart/etc.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I don't have a problem paying $23 a case at Costco here for M1 and I change my oil at 7k intervals because I don't like leaving oil in my truck for much longer and since it's the lifeblood of the engine I wouldn't take a chance changing my oil every 20k or every two plus years for my driving,oil can get contaminated from being in a vehicle over a time period not just from mileage but from condensation in the engine and other particulates that the oil might not be able to contain since anything can happen plus more frequent oil changes can alert you to a possible big problem but to each his own.

I know I'm in the lower miles per year category so I realistically spend less than $50 a year for oil. I also like an oil that's readily available at any auto parts store or any Target/Wal-mart/etc.
How much more readily available can you get.I can walk ten feet and grab six quarts from my existing case of oil. Normally changing your oil isn't a last minute desisoin that you just remember that you wanted to do. You normally tell your self hey i'm going to gange the oil this weekend. So on Mon. Tues. you place an order and you have a case by the weekend that is going to last you 2 oil changes. What every mileage you desire to change it at. You had to pick it up at your front door before you tripped over it to get in. :pat: That is alittle closer that driving to any auto parts store or any Target/Wal-mart/etc.
Like I said eirlier ALL THE OILS ARE GOOD IT'S WHAT EVER YOU PREFER.

I'm not promoting AMSOIL cause I'm a dealer.I'm promoting AMSOIL cause I like it and it's a good oil that I can buy at wholesale. I am not trying to resell it at retail or even any thing over wholesale. I just want people to buy it just as I do wholesale for them self. Hell, if I could by Mobile 1 at wholesale I would be telling everybody about that. I like Mobile 1 I used it up to 90k. Used it in everything. Now I'm a die hard AMSOIL fan If there was some way that I could not get AMSOIL I would use MOBILE 1 but I can get AMSOIL readily avalible to me so I use it in my YOTA, street bike,dirt bike, all my buddies dirt bikes and there trucks. I'm alittle

USE WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY

Last edited by ssyota; 08-12-2004 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

I'm just saying in an emergency; say out on a road trip,you need a quart or two and you maybe forgot to pack some extra (I know,us truck guys wouldn't forget) M1 is readily available and you never know when you might need an oil change right that minute.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Ok so we will campare the differance two 6 quarts for a real case = $60.00 ruffly depending were you can buy it from and hOw long it took you to drive there.
Or a full case of 12 quarts of the SERIES 2000 for $58.80 whole sale. A little cheaper.Deliverd to your front door.
Then we can compare the whole drain interval comparison.

Then you take the AMSOIL and buy one case for $58.85 which will last you 2 oil changes so you only need half of the case that will last you 25k.( more miles)

The AMSOIL at $ 58.85 that will last 2yrs.
YOU SAVE $181.15 give or take a couple bucks.
The bottom line is ALL THE SYNTHETICS ARE GOOD. It's all about which one
works for you. That's what makes this country so nice IT'S YOUR CHOICE.
I didn't even add in all the oil filters

MY CHOICE IS AMSOIL
Unless youre running a bypass setup(that you could do with any oil and makes amsoil not so special), which some people think the cost outweighs the benefit, youre nuts to go 25k on amsoil. In long runs without bypass (8-10k), Amsoil tends to thicken up and the Total Base Number drops looooooooooow. Plus, the series 2k results arent any better and sometimes worse than the asl which is pretty jacked up considering the series 2k costs more. The only oil that seems to hold up in extended drains properly is the series 3k.

As found with other oils like German Castrol and Mobil1, 8-10k miles is do able as long as your Used Oil Analysis is good. Dont get me wrong because Im comparing Amsoil with Castrol and Mobil in UOA's on my yota to determine the best oil for my truck, but lets face it, Amsoil's oil technology is a little behind some of the new additives, and the German Castrol oil has got a package that shows more potential than Amsoil and Mobil.

You claim to not be pushing the product, but seem like the exact kind of dealer that turns people off to amsoil, the 25k claim is BS period without a bypass rig and youre nuts if you do it. Spend a little time on bobistheoilguy and do some reading, the facts and reports far outweigh the claims.

I will say that at 4k miles amsoil looked great, so if i decide to go with amsoil based upon my the results, ill push it farther to prob 6-8k. While the thickening doesnt bother me as much cuz some others do it, the TBN dropping like it does after 8-10k makes you wonder why they claim 25k.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:07 PM

When you do the extended oil changes AMSOIL tells you that you are still required to change the oil filter not run one filter for the same leghth of the oil.
The series 3000 is formulated for both gas and diesel engines but leans more towards the diesels.
As far as AMSOILS technology. They continue to improve there products and release new oils. There is a new European Car Forula,2 cycle hp injection oil,2 cycle Dominatoe racing oil, Saber 100:1 professional,Saber 100:1 outboard,Torque drive Automatic trans fluid,and the whole series 2k is not that old.

As far as promoting or (PUSHING) the AMSOIL line. In the end, I'll say it again ALL THE SYNTHETICS ARE GOOD. IT'S ALL ABOUT WHICH ONE WORKS FOR YOU.
I PARTICULARLY LIKE AMSOIL. IT'S YOUR CHOICE

Last edited by ssyota; 08-12-2004 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:11 PM

PLUS AMSOIL makes there own oil. Who makes the MOBILE 1 (EXXON) which also makes the slick 50 products. I don't know who makes the Castrol oil it might be Exxon too.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I'm just saying in an emergency; say out on a road trip,you need a quart or two and you maybe forgot to pack some extra (I know,us truck guys wouldn't forget) M1 is readily available and you never know when you might need an oil change right that minute.

As far as an Emergency situation you could put regular old oil in if you had to Or add M1 or any other synthetic.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:58 PM

I started using RP on my manual tranny and the T/C. After few a miles, I noticed a softer shift between gears. I'm sticking with conv oil for my high mileage toyota engine. I did use the RP 5-30w in my Mini Cooper S, I noticed a more consistent oil temp. With Castrol oil, I noticed more of a small oil temp flux during track time. So far Im happy with the oil, it just now a personal preference.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

PLUS AMSOIL makes there own oil. Who makes the MOBILE 1 (EXXON) which also makes the slick 50 products. I don't know who makes the Castrol oil it might be Exxon too.
Dude, did you just fall down and hit your head. That post has gotta be up for dumbest of the year. Amsoil buys their basestocks from companies, one being Lubrizol. EM makes their own oil and so does Castrol, and unlike Amsoil they formulate their own basestock and add packs. As I feared you are one of the Amsoil guys that gives Amsoil a bad rep, you're one of those car salesman that knows absolutely nothin about the car he's selling. This is borderline troll crap.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 PM

Dude, did you just fall down and hit your head. That post has gotta be up for dumbest of the year. Amsoil buys their basestocks from companies, one being Lubrizol. EM makes their own oil and so does Castrol, and unlike Amsoil they formulate their own basestock and add packs. As I feared you are one of the Amsoil guys that gives Amsoil a bad rep, you're one of those car salesman that knows absolutely nothin about the car he's selling. This is borderline troll crap.

I GEUSS I'LL HAVE TO SAY IT ONE MORE TIME. ALL THE SYNTHETIC OILS ARE GOOD. IT COMES DOWN TO WHAT YOU PREFER. I HAPPEN TO LIKE AMSOIL AND I AM BASICALLY LETTING THE GUYS THAT DO LIKE AMSOIL KNOW THAT THEY CAN BUY IT AT A WHOLESALE PRICE INSTED OF RETAIL FROM SOME JOE DOWN THE ROAD. YOU GUYS THAT DON'T LIKE IT OR, NEVER USED IT, OR DON'T CARE TO USE IT, CAUSE YOU ALREADY KNOW IT ALL ABOUT WHATEVER YOU ARE USEING THAT HAPPENS TO BE THE BEST OIL EVER MADE.
THAT IS FINE. IT IS YOUR CHOICE LIKE I SAID BEFORE. FOR THE GUYS THAT ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT THEY MAY WHAT TO TRY I WAS SIMPLY TRYING TO POINT OUT THE WHOLESALE PART. AND I GEUSS THAT DOESN'T MAKE ME SUCH A GREAT SALESMAN FOR TRYING TO LET SOMEONE BUY AT WHOLESALE INSTED OF RACKIN THE PRICES WAY UP
BUY WHATEVER MAKES YOU HAPPY AND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE AND YOU MAY WANT TO TRY AN AMSOIL PRODUCT CAUSE THEY JUST DON'T MAKE MOTOR OILS LIKE SOME OTHER BRANDS. YOU CAN GET IT AT WHOLESALE. THAT WAS MY POINT FROM THE BEGINING.

Last edited by ssyota; 08-12-2004 at 08:55 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:01 PM

ACTUALY I DID FALL DOWN AND HIT MY HEAD BUT I WAS WEARING A HELMET. I hit hard enough to get some bleeding on my brain and broke a bone in my ear. I also broke six ribs ,colar bone in 2 places and crushed my lung.With 1 day in intensive care and 8 in the hosp. I go back to work at the end of the month. But any way most of the oils are made with first buying a basestock from somewhere or another company and then the specail stuff gets added in. Not All oil companies have their own oil refinery. The majority of them buy there basestock from somebody else and then formulate their own product.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

....amsoil sucks :cry: :cry:

Quick Reply: Royal Purple Oil....Anyone use it?