Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

New Motor Won't Run / ECU Codes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Motor Won't Run / ECU Codes

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but read the T4X4pickup forum on a regular basis. Someone suggested I post my question on this site. I will really appreciate some guidance with my problem.

Basically, I built a new 22RE long block using all new Toyota parts for my 1990 4X4 truck. I used my old intake with is all original. Anyway, after I put it all together, the motor started after a few tries, ran for 5-10 seconds and then dies. It will do this everytime I try to start it. I initially thought my timing was off, but I moved it up and down a tooth on the distributor gear and could not get it start at all on those settings.

I checked my ECU codes and got the following:

Code 14 (Ignition signal: No "IGf" signal to ECU 4 - 5 times in succession) I checked the coil and I'm getting .9 Ohms on the primary coil and 13.76 Ohms on the secondary Coil. I see that the primary is slightly out of spec, but I'm not sure if that is enough to cause this problem.

Code 21 (Main Oxygen Sensor) This has been bad since before I built the new engine. It didn't seem to affect performance or gas mileage so I never replaced it. I don't think this could be causing my problem.

Code 51 Switch Condition Signal - No "IDL" signal or no "NSW" signal or "A/C signal to ECU with the check connector 31 and TE1 connected) I'm really not sure what this is all about. In trouble areas in the FSM, is stares several options for trouble areas, and the throttle position sensor circuit or sensor seems a better bet than the A/C circuit.

Does anyone know if any of these trouble codes could cause my problem. Or for that matter, does anyone have any ideas of other things that could cause this problem.

Thanks...Wade
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wade
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but read the T4X4pickup forum on a regular basis. Someone suggested I post my question on this site. I will really appreciate some guidance with my problem.

Basically, I built a new 22RE long block using all new Toyota parts for my 1990 4X4 truck. I used my old intake with is all original. Anyway, after I put it all together, the motor started after a few tries, ran for 5-10 seconds and then dies. It will do this everytime I try to start it. I initially thought my timing was off, but I moved it up and down a tooth on the distributor gear and could not get it start at all on those settings.

I checked my ECU codes and got the following:

Code 14 (Ignition signal: No "IGf" signal to ECU 4 - 5 times in succession) I checked the coil and I'm getting .9 Ohms on the primary coil and 13.76 Ohms on the secondary Coil. I see that the primary is slightly out of spec, but I'm not sure if that is enough to cause this problem.

Code 21 (Main Oxygen Sensor) This has been bad since before I built the new engine. It didn't seem to affect performance or gas mileage so I never replaced it. I don't think this could be causing my problem.

Code 51 Switch Condition Signal - No "IDL" signal or no "NSW" signal or "A/C signal to ECU with the check connector 31 and TE1 connected) I'm really not sure what this is all about. In trouble areas in the FSM, is stares several options for trouble areas, and the throttle position sensor circuit or sensor seems a better bet than the A/C circuit.

Does anyone know if any of these trouble codes could cause my problem. Or for that matter, does anyone have any ideas of other things that could cause this problem.

Thanks...Wade

Greetings Wade,
When I see that code "51" it's usually a TPS problem not always, but I check that, re-spec that! Now the code 14 - The ECU isn't seeing the signal - usually caused by a coild or the ignitor, make sure that you have everything plugged in, grounds, connectors...! Another thing is how's your fuel? Almost sounds like she's starving for fuel or else too much air, make sure you have fuel and pressure and you have no air leaks in your air intake. That code 14 will aslo come on if your truck fails to start after a given time as well as the code 51. Make sure your getting fuel and no airleaks and then clear those codes and retry to start her!
Take Care and good luck!
Harry
Old 04-07-2005, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Try starting the vehicle with the diagnostic connector jumped. It sounds like maybe you don't have a sensor hooked up or maybe it has a bad connection.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Contributing Member

Make sure your intake tube is hooked up to your afm, and the afm is plugged in, if not this is exactly what the veh will do is start and run for a few seconds and shut down. Which also wacks the ecu to throw codes.
Old 04-07-2005, 03:19 PM

get a noid light and test ur injectors for signal
could be ecu damage or crank signal to ecu
had problems with my old mr2