Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

Metal Shavings, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal Shavings, now what?

If you haven't been following the thread on the throw out bearing grinding, let me catch you up to speed. I replaced the motor in my friends 91 4x4 P/U. The first time I started it I had a nasty metal on metal grinding noise that sounded like it was coming from the front of the motor. After searching with a stethascope and finding nothing I concluded that it was a faulty TOB and pulled the tranny to investigate. After pulling the tranny and finding nothing I concluded that it was a bad rebuild with faulty thrust bearings. At that point the truck sat for two months until I had time to tinker with it again. I started to pull the motor again and upon pulling the harmonic balancer found metal shavings. The balancer was rubbing against the oil pump housing. At this point I don't know if I had it too tight or if something else is aray. Please help as i'm ready to push it off a cliff and tell him to collect the insurance.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:15 PM

Sounds like something wasn't installed correctly when the engine was re-assembled. I don't know the specifics if that engine (I'm sure others do), but several things come to mind. There might be a spacing washer missing behind the harmonic pulley which is allowing it to hit the pump cover. There are thrust bearings inside the engine which control front/rear movement of the crank in the bearings. If these were left out, or installed incorrectly, this could allow the crank to move rearward letting the pulley hit.

PS: After rereading your post, I seem to remember the original thread on this. If I remember correctly, the noise went away when you pressed the clutch pedal in, and came back when you released it. I believe that the issue of engine thrust bearings was raised at that time. If it is a problem with thrust bearing clearances, you should be able to check by using a pry bar to move the crank forward and back and check end play. If you have more than a 32nd inch of play, there is a problem.

Last edited by TechWrench; 06-26-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:13 PM

Here's what I would investigate first. Early style 22Rs had a oil pump with a thicker deck height. If you take a crank pulley from a later style engine and slap it onto a old style oil pump you will experience this exact problem. I would probably just get a later style oil pump from engnbldr.com and install it. Try to find the oil pump from the previous motor and see if it's deck height is not as tall.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the replys, but I found the problem. There is a dust cover for the oil pump on the back side of the Harmonic Balancer. It is pressed on and some how this one wasn't flush with the HB and caused it to rub. I knocked it back on, reassembled the car and now the noise is gone. I do have a new noise now though, or an old noise that was drowned out by the metal on metal sound. When the clutch petal is disengaged, there is a rubbing sound coming from the clutch area. Would a clutch that is not adjusted right make that sound? When you push in the clutch the sound goes away and from what I can tell, when you're driving it doesn't make that sound. Question #2: Do Toyota's have a noisy valve train or should the valves be adjusted on a rebuilt motor? Most long blocks that I have replaced come with the valves adjusted already.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:20 PM
Banned

toyotas do have noisy motors... and when cold have a psiton slap noise due to the fact they dont use traditional skirts.....

however, if the head was ever removed, you probably need the valves adjusted... there is no way to adjsut them off the car.....

and as far as your other issue goes... i am thinking pilot bearing in the flywheel