Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

? about detailing

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? about detailing

I've got a white 96 4runner and wanted to know if I should purchase the porter cable.

I had the car detailed about 2 years ago (clay, polish, wax) and I get it waxed 2-3 times year. Besides that it sits outside with the occasional wash.

What I want to do is get the paint in the conditon where I can apply crystal guard which I think is pretty good stuff. I just applied it to my new car and it came out great.

So what should I do to prep the paint.

I know I need to clay (can be done by hand), but do I need to polish it as well. I have seen that some people with white cars skip the polish part. I want the car to looks its best so what should I do? I know polishing removes swirls, water spots, light scratches but is it necessary on a white car.

Also if I do need to polish, is there a polish I can do by hand. Obviously I'm trying to avoid spending $$ on the PC because this crystal guard stuff is supposed to last a long time.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
mark,

for light paints like white and my desert dune, i typically don't polish it. because scratches reflect white and so, it is not nearly as visible as say on a dark or black car

however if your vehicle has noticeable swirls, polish it with two coats and then wax it.

have you heard of zaino bros? their synthetic products are the best. you can search zainos here and you'll see alot of people who don't go the porter cable route go with zainos. i have both the PC and i personally prefer the zainos application by hand. lasts at least 6 months out here in sun-baked CA.

bob
Old 09-27-2004, 12:28 PM

What's crystal guard??
Old 09-27-2004, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 03TRDBlack
What's crystal guard??

http://www.crystalguard.com/

Bob_98SR5- I want to use the crystal guard I bought, so without buying all the zaino products can I just use there polish? If so which one.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

My advice would be to have the car buffed by a professional, and then leave it outside in the elements for 1-2 months without leaving it in a garage. The go and buy some "Liquid Glass" and follow the directions. It's some really good stuff. Follow directions.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:32 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I think for a light colored rig like yours, the Porter Cable works best.
I have been using the PC on my rig for over 5 years or so, and I always get compliments that my paint blinds people and looks new.

As Bob mentioned, you do not really need to use polish.
All I use is the clay bar holder, clay, and Griot's Speed Shine to lube the bar.

After that I follow up with Griot's Best Of Show wax.
It has been a long time, over a year since I last waxed the rig, and it is still looking good.

Time to get off my butt though and wax it again.
For more info on the Porter Cable system, please see my detail site in my sig below.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

"The key to a reflective and shiny car is prepping"
-Autopia Moto

That's why I think you need to polish first and if your surface is good, then protect it with wax, but polish is very important. Zaino incorporates a polish in their lineup, but for light scratches, surface scratches that is. Heavier ones, require a polish that cuts deeper.

Last edited by Mohamed; 09-30-2004 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mohamed
"The key to a reflective and shiny car is prepping"
-Autopia Moto

That's why I think you need to polish first and if your surface is good, then protect it with wax, but polish is very important. Zaino incorporates a polish in their lineup, but for light scratches, surface scratches that is. Heavier ones, require a polish that cuts deeper.

Can I accomplish this by hand. I am trying to skip buying the $200 porter cable.

The apint is in pretty good conditons. Theres some scrathces and swirls but with white you can hardly see them
Old 10-01-2004, 01:35 PM

I Despise Miracle Products!!!!

Id have to say stick to the proven methods such as Porter or Zaino.
This stuff reminds me of the monkey piss the dealer used to charge for on new vehicles calling it a "Desert Protection package".

Their site is conflicting on the product stating...
"CrystalGuard combines glass and fluorine fibers to create a distinct crystal layer over the entire body of your vehicle, creating a premium crystalline shine with maximum protection. "

Maximum protection?????? Keep reading.....

and states this under "durability" ......

"We use the Mohs Hardness Scale to compare the hardness of any mineral. The higher the number on the scale, the harder the mineral is. Each mineral can scratch only those on the same level or below it on the scale. CrystalGuard is approximately a six (6), which is an absolute hardness of approximately 72.The typical Teflon-based polymer coating product has a hardness of 2.5-3.0, which is only an absolute hardness of 9. That makes CrystalGuard 8x more durable compared to Teflon coatings. In other words, CrystalGuard has only approximately a 1/8 chance to get scratched compared to other leading brands."

After all the claims of durability they go on to state in the maintenance section.......
"Precaution: Do not wipe with pressure when washing or cleaning. This may end up damaging the surface."

Wait a minute!! I thought this stuff was durable and maximum protection!?!?!?!

They also state under warranty......

"Once your service provider has professionally applied CrystalGuard EX to your vehicle's exterior, maintenance is simple and easy. All sealants require a renewal or re-vitalizing application to maintain the brilliance of the coating. Under warranty, your service provider will maintain your coat with our maintenance products free of charge. Applying CrystalGuard Quick every 3 months helps maintain the integrity of the original protective layer while adding more luster and shine."

Now,hold on a second. You mean I have to spend extra $$$ to have this done by someone else in order to have a warranty and this stuff only lasts 3 months????

It also doesnt cover tree sap or bird droppings??? Sounds like the best in durability and toughness to me! Yeah right!!

"KozMez, L.L.C. hereby guarantees to the customer receiving professional application of CrystalGuard products on their vehicle’s painted finish that the surface of their vehicle will retain its high gloss and crystalline shine, while also protecting against oxidation, environmental pollutants, and corrosion of the painted finish. This warranty is enforceable for 3,5, or 7 years from the date of purchase. Should the original painted surface be damaged by weather including fading, oxidation or loss of gloss, KozMez will repair or replace (within the discretion of KozMez) the affected area free of charge. KozMez reserves the right to attempt to repair the disputed damage through professional detailing prior to replacing or repainting any damaged surface. Damage resulting from tree sap, acid rain, bird droppings, flies or industrial fallout is limited to the cost of the professional detailing."

Save your hard earned $$$ or if you just have too much and dont know what to do with it I will allieviate your troubles and send you a self addressed envelope every month so you can send me your surplus cash.

Last edited by AzStorm; 10-01-2004 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read to Dawn wash first, clay next to remove embedded particles, followed by a polish to remove chemical contaminants, then everything else. That's the way I've done it on all colors, mostly by habit. The only step I'll skip is clay bar if the vehicle is new and wasn't transported by train at some point. I have to agree that P-C is the best method I've tried (haven't tried Zainos), far more effective than hand application. Next best I've used is hand applied Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #7, a mild polish.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by mark_simon
Can I accomplish this by hand. I am trying to skip buying the $200 porter cable.

The apint is in pretty good conditons. Theres some scrathces and swirls but with white you can hardly see them
The PC goes for less than $100 most tool shops.
And for the record, I have never ever polished my rig, and it is one of the most blinding white rigs around when it is detailed.

All I do is:
1. Wash with dawn at detail time
2. Power clay with the PC, the Griot's claybar holder, Griot's clay, and Speed Shine to lube the bar.
3. Power wax with Groit's Best Of Show wax.

Last wax job was April of 2003 and it is still shining.
Yes, I am way overdue on doing it again.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/bos_4_27_2003/7.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/bos_4_27_2003/8.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/bos_4_27_2003/9.jpg

Most of Groit's products work better by the PC, while Zaino's is easier by hand.
A few do use the PC with Zaino's products though from what I have read on the Autopia detail forum.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php
Old 10-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mark_simon

Let me snap some pictures of my Honda tomorrow and you can see the results of Zaino by hand. It's pretty good I think...but really back-breaking in my opinion. Took the entire day to dawn wash, clay with the "Z" car wash as lube, then Z5, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z2, and final Z6...I also took off every wheel and got them as clean as I could with mother's polish and Eagle's Alum/Mag Wheel cleaner, then vaccumed and dusted the interior (california duster mini really helps in catching dust). My car's exterior should be protected for the next six months...god willing. But when I come back to detail after the winter, it will only be maintance like my Tundra's Zaino treatment, and that is simply "Z" wash, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z2, Z6.

Bob_98SR5...you should be happy for me finally got around to getting that Meiguar's crap off and getting Zaino on, can I get an applaude from you?

Last edited by Mohamed; 10-01-2004 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mohamed,

(how's that?!?!)

Yeah, i agree: Zainos does take time b/c its done by hand. However, you don't need to put as much as you might think and thus, you can do a hood in about 2 minutes if you are experienced.

The best part though, is how long the stuff lasts. Thus, if you can get over the "doing it by hand factor", you'll definitely be rewarded by not having to re-apply as often as other products.

Bob
Old 10-02-2004, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Mohamed,

(how's that?!?!)

Yeah, i agree: Zainos does take time b/c its done by hand. However, you don't need to put as much as you might think and thus, you can do a hood in about 2 minutes if you are experienced.
2 minutes? what kinda of speed are you on? hehe...It took me a good 15 minutes to get my hood and I can only imagine on a 4runner what it would be like.

As promised, here's my photos:
reflection off rear left
Front DriverSide Angle Shot
Front Hood Shot
Front PassengerSide Angle Shot
rear shot(not very good since it's in the shade)
QuarterPanel Shot
Old 10-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
The PC goes for less than $100 most tool shops.
And for the record, I have never ever polished my rig, and it is one of the most blinding white rigs around when it is detailed.

All I do is:
1. Wash with dawn at detail time
2. Power clay with the PC, the Griot's claybar holder, Griot's clay, and Speed Shine to lube the bar.
3. Power wax with Groit's Best Of Show wax.

Last wax job was April of 2003 and it is still shining.
Yes, I am way overdue on doing it again.
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/bos_4_27_2003/7.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/bos_4_27_2003/8.jpg
http://www.pnw4runners.com/pics/bos_4_27_2003/9.jpg

Most of Groit's products work better by the PC, while Zaino's is easier by hand.
A few do use the PC with Zaino's products though from what I have read on the Autopia detail forum.
http://www.autopia.org/forums/index.php
under 100?? the cheapest I've seen is from meguiars site for 149 (pc 7424)
Where can I buy it under 100?
Old 10-02-2004, 09:44 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

The model you want is the 7336.
Lowes has had them for $89.
The price has been posted here a few times.

Meguiar's is one of the most expensive places to get it, as they put their name tag on it.
Their's by the way is the 7336, as member Drew has one.
Looking at his several years ago was how we found out it was a rebadged Porter Cable 7336.