4Wheeling 101 Discussion pertaining to the proper use of your off road gear and recovery techniques

inexpensive hand winch suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inexpensive hand winch suggestions?

I am thinking about buying a mechanical hand winch and there appears a huge range in price and options out there. I am looking for something affordable, but up to the task of pulling my truck out of a ditch. Realiabity is obviously important, but not necessarily long term durabililty. I don't plan to use it regularly, just have it in case. I drive a lot in the snow and want some way of independantly pulling myself out.

How does using a Hi-Lift as a winch compare other manual winches?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:14 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, my first recommendation would be good tires and proper driving to not end up in the ditch in the first place!

The only problem with Hi-Lift winching is you can only go 48" (or 60" depending on which HiLift you have) at a time. But, it works well. I highly recommend everyone who has a HiLift to get the winch accessory kit (note: you need a section of 3/8" Grd 70 transport chain that is NOT included in the kit!)

A hand winch or come-a-long will work OK, but will be slow. You will need one rated at least 4 tons (8000 lbs), just like a motorized winch - and even then, you may have to double line pull if the snow is deep. Snow up over the axles is a huge "mire factor" and dramatically increases the load on the winch.

I think getting a nice, high end manual winch would be a better decision than a cheap motorized winch.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by tc
The only problem with Hi-Lift winching is you can only go 48" (or 60" depending on which HiLift you have) at a time. But, it works well. I highly recommend everyone who has a HiLift to get the winch accessory kit (note: you need a section of 3/8" Grd 70 transport chain that is NOT included in the kit!)
I would also advise using a hi-lift, with their winching kit and chain. Their are plenty of videos on youtube that demo how it is done, just search "hi-lift winch".

But be aware that their size is in reference to their frame, and not the amount of travel in the jacking mechanism. For example, a 48" Hi-lift, the nose starts at 4.5" from the base, and it stops at ~37-38", so there is only 33"-34" of true "winching" before you have to re-adjust. And a 60" Hi-lift has 44"-45" of travel. But still, with a little practice, you can use it very effectively!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the replies, it seems like a Hi-Lift is probably the best way to go since it is a more versitle tool. I was planning to get one anyway, but since it will require adding sliders to my truck so I can use it as a jack as well, as was going to wait a bit. I guess I should fork over more dough right away and skip the comealong.

How does the mechanical advantge of the hi-lift compare to a comealong-type winch? I mean terms of how much muscle it takes to do work. It looks easy enough in the you tube vids, but if a rig is really stuck...
Old 11-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Get a More Power Puller

I have had a More Power Puller (8K double line pull) for over 15 years...it has only quit working when I get tired
Probably one of the best investments for 4Wheeling I have got:
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/
it is the only thing the company makes:

have used it to pull stumps, trucks and comes in handy when you don't have your transfer cases installed

weights a bunch but better than a regular come a long and faster than trying to use a high lift jack for a winch, for single line it has almost 35 feet of cable on it...I carry my Hi-lift too...

Last edited by dropzone; 11-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:08 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I have limited experience with hand winching, I tried it with my Hi-lift once. I did not like it at all and felt that it was not a exceptible tool for winching.

Yes, I saw the youtube and hi-lift infomercial.

Still carry it but would get a come-along if I was planning to manual winch.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:11 PM
SR5

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I have had a More Power Puller (8K double line pull) for over 15 years...it has only quit working when I get tired
Probably one of the best investments for 4Wheeling I have got:
http://www.wyeth-scott.com/
it is the only thing the company makes:

have used it to pull stumps, trucks and comes in handy when you don't have your transfer cases installed

weights a bunch but better than a regular come a long and faster than trying to use a high lift jack for a winch, for single line it has almost 35 feet of cable on it...I carry my Hi-lift too...
i have one of these, not the same company, but the same. and it works AWSOME, i love it, and would highly recomend it
Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM

I'm going to resurrect this thread and say that the Wyeth Scott power puller is really nice to use and extremely well crafted. I bought one a few years ago and it's a hundred year old design that will be around even after armageddon (you don't need gasoline or electric to run it!). I suggest getting one and supporting US made products... They are now offering them with Amsteel blue synth line! That's cool!